Latest updates from Carnival: Galveston

Midazolam

Galveston updates

Latest updates from Carnival:

TROPICAL WEATHER UPDATE

SEPTEMBER 14, 2008 – 2:00 PM

We are closely monitoring the situation in Galveston and the impact from Hurricane Ike. We do not currently have a lot of information about the status of the shipping channel, cruise terminal or the port access infrastructure. Local communication has been very challenging and there are restrictions against incoming traffic into the Galveston area.

We do not expect the Port of Galveston to be open on Monday and there is tremendous uncertainty about when the port will be available to us next week. Due to this situation, we will now cancel the following cruises:

Carnival Conquest September 14, 2008 departure that was re-scheduled to a 6 day cruise departing on Monday, September 15.</STRONG>

Carnival Ecstasy September 15, 2008 departure

Guests will receive a full refund of cruise fare and we will process these refunds within three weeks.

We sincerely apologize to our guests that are impacted by these cancelled cruises. Unfortunately, we did not have any viable options available to provide an alternative cruise option.

We hope that all of those that reside in the areas impacted by Hurricane Ike were able to remain safe. We also wish a speedy recovery to those that may have sustained damage homes or businesses.

I just got a text message from my son on the Conquest. He says they're being dropped off in New Orleans tomorrow and have to find their own way back to Houston. That doesn't seem right to me. :mad:

I would have to agree.......that doesn't seem right at all. I can understand not bussing everyone back to Galveston but it seems like they could arrange transportation to another city in Texas. Booking transportation individually could be pricey considering very little advance notice. I'm surprised Carnival isn't providing some sort of transportation. :confused:

On the surface, it would seem like Carnival should provide transportation back to some central area as close as possible to Galveston. OTOH, these are the kinds of things that people are supposed to get travel insurance for, and it's not Carnival's place to take care of every possible inconvenience that happens because of a natural disaster beyond their control. We have to remember that they are losing millions of dollars because of all of this, and their crew members are going to suffer as well because of lost gratuities. People are reminded over and over again about what COULD happen when on vacation and still travel without travel insurance to compensate them when things like this happen.

I was once on a cruise that brought us back to a different port because of something outside of Carnival's control (shipping accident in the MS River, so the ship couldn't get back to NOLA). The ship went to Gulfport, MS, instead. Carnival bussed all of us back to NOLA, but only took care of flights and hotels for those who had booked travel through them. The rest of us were on our own (at least, we got back to NOLA, but it was Mardi Gras and no hotels -- probably would have been better off in Gulfport, but who is to know!).

I feel for the cruisers who drove up to the cruise terminal in Galveston in their own cars. I've been one myself and know just how low the parking lots are. Those cars have certainly gotten immersed in salt water. I wish those cruisers luck with their insurance companies.

Drive folks to another Texas city to what end? If you parked your car in Galveston going to, say Dallas, helps nothing. If you flew to Houston, you might just as well fly out of NO at this point.

Carnival is probably scrambling to make new arrangements for folks with their air. Others will probably never cruise again without purchasing travel insurance and have no one to blame but themselves.

Sorry to be blunt, but if I were on that ship I would look like a contortionist as I tried to kick myself in the ______ and would not be wasting time blaming Carnival for something totally out of their control.

JMHO

Yes, if possible. If the ship just couldn't 'dock' in Galveston for some reason but the island itself is okay then, yes, people should be bussed back. But in this case the island itself is off limits and may be for some time from the newscasts.

There are no good options at this point and no way that Carnival could sort out 'where, when and how' for every single passenger. What a madhouse that would become.

Doesn't Carnival have insurance to cover this type of thing?

On the other hand, does your auto insurance cover something like this? (meaning other coverage to get you home...for the folks who drove to Galveston) Could you file this under your homeowners/renters insurance since any personal property in your car would fall under this coverage?

Hopefully, the airlines are showing some mercy for these poor people.

The problem Carnival would have with bussing passengers to another city is that it wouldn't be the originating city of the cruise anyways. Heck, evacuees still can't go home. I'm stuck in Austin wondering if my home (a block from the seawall) has been damaged and what possessions I have left. Providing transportation to a different city does very little because people still have to find transportation home or make alternate arrangements if they were from a hurricane damaged area. It would just be another problem for people to deal with.

The problem Carnival would have with bussing passengers to another city is that it wouldn't be the originating city of the cruise anyways. Heck, evacuees still can't go home. I'm stuck in Austin wondering if my home (a block from the seawall) has been damaged and what possessions I have left. Providing transportation to a different city does very little because people still have to find transportation home or make alternate arrangements if they were from a hurricane damaged area. It would just be another problem for people to deal with.

Oh my, I hope you will find everything in order when you return. Is your home elevated? Please let us know how you made out with the storm.:eek:

Oh my, I hope you will find everything in order when you return. Is your home elevated? Please let us know how you made out with the storm.:eek:

Thank you for all your concern. I live in an apartment near 61st st which surrounding apartments recieved about 2 feet of water. Our apartment is ground level and was not elevated in any way. Although they are only possessions, I still would at least like to pick through what survived before standing water causes mold/mildew and I lose even more. Right now we are being told it could be next week before we are even allowed in to just survey the damages.

I do know that the cruise terminal did sustain some damage substantial damages. We still haven't decided whether to stay in Galveston or not, but our job at the pier is very important to us and I am still booked for several weddings in October and November so that plays a huge part for us.

Thank you for all your concern. I live in an apartment near 61st st which surrounding apartments recieved about 2 feet of water. Our apartment is ground level and was not elevated in any way. Although they are only possessions, I still would at least like to pick through what survived before standing water causes mold/mildew and I lose even more. Right now we are being told it could be next week before we are even allowed in to just survey the damages.

I do know that the cruise terminal did sustain some damage substantial damages. We still haven't decided whether to stay in Galveston or not, but our job at the pier is very important to us and I am still booked for several weddings in October and November so that plays a huge part for us.

I'm so glad you posted....you were one of the first people I thought about! I am hoping for the best for you and your husband.

If the port closes for an extended period of time, do you know when RCL will make a decision. We are to sail Dec. 14th.

Again, I'm glad to hear you are okay...you are in our thoughts and prayers!

I've been thinking about you as well. I hope you get to go home to survey soon. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in that area.

We were on teh Conquest 2005 when hurricane katrina hit...we started in NO and eneded up in Galveston. Many people were outraged that teh cruiline couldn't get them back to NO....First of all there wasn't anything to go back to....

Second...those that bought thier airfare through Carnival....like us...Carnival took care of everything. No additional expense to us at all. Those that didn't buy their air through Carnival were on thier own....

From all of the research I did on this website....many veteran cruisers suggested if cruising during hurricane season... you must buy your air through the cruiseline or have travel insurance.

I am glad that we bought air through Carnival...it cost me 20.00 more pp than trying to buy it on my own....now that I look back on it....the 80.00 extra we spent was well worth it...

We will never cruise during Hurricane seas again.....April and May are perfect....So what if the kids miss 5 days of school...they are getting an international education by being on a cruise.

CruiseLover- the mayor and the city manager said that it would take months for debris to be removed. Based on my evaluation of the situation and my previous experiences (qualifications PhD Management, Strategic Planning consultant, former National Catastrophe team manager and member), I just don't see the port reopening until the beginning of 2009. This estimate is a perfect world estimate... What are your thoughts based on their news conference today on KHOU? By the way, I am so sorry about potential damage to your apartment but I am glad that you are ok... :(

Just watched a report from KHOU, a guy went out with the Coast Guard to inspect the ship channel, they saw chairs, furniture and cows in the bay. One of the biggest issues was the buoys have been displaced and need to be put back. The depth of the center of the channel was unchanged, That's good news. They are now fanning out to make sure it is passable

Hundred of container ships are outside the channel waiting for clearance to get in. They estimate a couple of more days.

They did go by the passenger pier in Galvestion, there is some damage to the dock area and one of the gang ways was blown backwards. The cars, sorry folks, they look bad.

They are really trying hard to open the ship channel.

Cruiselover, I am so glad you are safe. I am sorry about Galveston. It is terrible. Have you heard from Vince and Andy? Do you know if they are o.k? We sailed with them in April on the Voyager. I have thought of all of you during this awful weather. We have had some trees down in our neighborhood but thank goodness none fell on our house. I can't believe Ike came this far north. It looks like it will be a long time before Galveston will be up for visitors. I hope you get to go home soon and get save what you can of your possessions. You are in my prayers as is everyone in that area.

Carol

Archived