From Carnival Kona Port to Mauna Kea Beach

floatmyboat10

Would we be able to get a taxi from Carnival Pier to Mauna Kea Beach in Kona?

Have no idea about distance? We do have the whole day.

Any help greatly appreciated!:confused:

I would suggest a rental car. It is about 45 minutes maybe 60 each way from It is about 35 miles. (This assumes that you tender in at Kona. If you are at Hilo it is over 3 hours each way.) I think you will enjoy the freedom you get with a rental more than being stuck on one beach all day.

Edited by zqvol

You can certainly get a taxi - should be easily available at both the pier and the hotel, but probably expensive. Yes, you can get a rental car, but there's a problem with that plan. The number of cars allowed at Mauna Kea Beach is strictly limited each day (I think it's 40 only) and they usually reach the limit quite early in the morning. Unless you can get a very early start, make sure to have a backup plan - maybe Hapuna Beach State Park.

There are also a couple of smaller beaches much closer - you can even take the little shuttle trolley from the pier. There's White Sands Beach - about 3 or 4 miles south on Ali'i Drive, that is very small but great for body surfing. Another couple of miles south is Kahaluu Beach Park which has not much beach but is great for snorkeling in very calm waters.

Ships dock at either Hilo or Kailua-Kona - which port is on your itinerary?

Kailua-Kona is about 45 minutes to an hour from Mauna Kea Beach. Hilo is an hour and a half away from Kailua-Kona.

Carnival ports in both Hilo and Kona. Kona is a tender port.

Edited by SadieN

You can certainly get a taxi - should be easily available at both the pier and the hotel, but probably expensive. Yes, you can get a rental car, but there's a problem with that plan. The number of cars allowed at Mauna Kea Beach is strictly limited each day (I think it's 40 only) and they usually reach the limit quite early in the morning. Unless you can get a very early start, make sure to have a backup plan - maybe Hapuna Beach State Park.

There are also a couple of smaller beaches much closer - you can even take the little shuttle trolley from the pier. There's White Sands Beach - about 3 or 4 miles south on Ali'i Drive, that is very small but great for body surfing. Another couple of miles south is Kahaluu Beach Park which has not much beach but is great for snorkeling in very calm waters.

Thank you for the info

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know how close rental car locations are to the Kailua Kona (Hawaii) cruise port are? We have a Hertz rental booked, but wonder how close to the Off Airport rental location pickup will be. Is it walking distance or will we need to take Uber/taxi? We cruise at the end of April 2018 on Celebrity.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

There is a portion of Cruise Critic devoted to Hawaii, located here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

If you look there, you will see dozens of threads on renting cars in Hawaii. At Kona, the car rental place is literally across the street, in the King Kam hotel, from where you come ashore.