Newbie Just Booked !

DGK

Thank you everyone for your wonderful assistance as we are now booked on our first PG Cruise 10-Day Society and Tuamotus. We have never been to the South Pacific and have a huge learning curve as to what each wonderful port has to offer. Can you please respond with your suggestions as to how to spend your day and if you organized a private tour or ship tour. We have snorkeled once and are interested in attempting to do more. Neither of us have any diving experience and not sure if we are up to it. We also love relaxing on a gorgeous beach and doing photography with beautiful scenery. I also posted on Roll Calls. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Donna

Oh boy, are you in for a treat! First of all, snorkeling equipment is supplied by the ship; the dive master will make sure that your mask fits snugly, but if you have trouble with it, take it back and get a replacement.

There's usually an opportunity in Bora Bora to take a tender over to a private motu (island). It's a beautiful beach, with stunning views back to Bora Bora, so take your camera. No amenities there, just a beach.

Then there's Motu Mahana. It's an organized private island--chairs, umbrellas, a barbeque with lunch, drinks, bathrooms, volleyball, snorkeling, kayaks, the works. It's very fun and it's all included.

Just remember to take water shoes for these and any other beach occasions.

I've never taken a private tour, so can't comment on that.

Absolutely essential in FP is high numbered waterproof sunscreen.

Also equally essential are rash guards or UV protected shirts. I literally live in them on the BB Motu and at Motu Mahana

A waterproof camera is nice to have especially for snorkelling or shark feeding.

Thank you both for your comments and suggestions.

Wendy, a month ago I never ever heard of a Motu and Emdee I have to research rash guards and UV protective shirts again all new to me. lots to learn . Any other suggestions for a newbie as to how to spend your day's in port on this wonderful cruise is greatly appreciated. Donna

Cruisedreamer .... this is your fourth or fifth or sixth? You dont need my little newbie report made for my friends and cousins last year . Its just about the restaurants, clothing to bring etc etc. I would be almost embarassed to sent it to you!! In fact I got courage to go on the PG when you and Mtn Driver ( remember him!) went on the new PG and said it was largely unchanged.

My husband and I were on PG Jan 2011. We had South Pacific on our bucket list. And did PG and South Pacific exceeded our expectation! Motu was unbelievable and has to be experienced in person! In Bora Bora, I lost my fear of water--I can't swim. But, during this cruise, amazingly, I snorkeled, I swam with the sharks, played with stingray, and tagged along the tons of colorful fish!!! Be forewarn, this place will dissolve any inhibition you may have! ;)

PG service, people, food were top notch.

For information about private tours, you will find this popular private tour guide, Patrick 's name mentioned a lot in the cruise critic boards. He communicated diligently with me until the tour day. (I have to find his email). Even though we did not have him as our tour guide, through his company, we had an activity-packed day and a wonderful time! This particular tour, IMHO, provided much value. Our group of 12 range from young 20's to 60's, were all impressed. So excited for you!

Wow Explore4Ever you have me more relaxed regarding my limited snorkeling experience and very excited about our upcoming cruise. I have to admit I am finding it a bit over whelming trying to figure out the best way to spend our days in port. Yes I have seen Patrick’s name mentioned. What island and tour did you book him for? The rest did you do on your own or more private or ship tours???If anyone else has any suggestions regarding excursions please pass on. Thanks so much, Donna

Donna,

I had written some first timers tips for my friends and cousins who came with me last year. I think I may still have it somewhere. Shall send them to you.

Hi Emdee, I would also really apreciate your tips as I am a first time cruiser and am looking forward to our 10 day PG cruise on 23 May - not long to go now!

Many thanks, Narla :)

Narla - cannot send you without your email address!

Thanks for replying so quickly Emdee. My email address is berniegalt at yahoo.co.uk

I look forward to hearing your tips! :)

Archived