Name a thing you would like to see on cruise ships...

BoiiMcFly

I know modern cruise ships are like floating cities with all the features and great amenities they provide, but is there something missing that you would like to see on future cruises? Maybe something of a particular interest.

I think a ship simulator would be pretty cool. You step into the a virtual replica bridge of the ship you are on and can pretend to be Captain. Since Royal Caribbean already uses virtual balconies, they could use real-time wind and sea conditions during the simulation.

I don't want to cruise on a floating theme park. Give me a ship with fewer people than a small city, great service, and excellent food and drinks that don't require an upcharge .

I agree! Lots of space with less people. Some privacy is always nice. An all inclusive package would be nice as well. And I mean completely all inclusive, not just specialty dining and beverages.

Room service for evening meals for enjoying dinner and stars on the balcony. That was one of those common service that went away with cost cutting.

Burt

Is room service now only breakfast and lunch? I thought cruise ships still offered 24/7 room service...

Is room service now only breakfast and lunch? I thought cruise ships still offered 24/7 room service...

Not on Celebrity, Royal and Princess. They are still offering 24/7 RS. On Royal anything between midnight and 5:AM there is a surcharge. Not sure about Celebrity and Princess.

Not on Celebrity, Royal and Princess. They are still offering 24/7 RS. On Royal anything between midnight and 5:AM there is a surcharge. Not sure about Celebrity and Princess.

Oh ok interesting...how much of a surcharge are we talking about?

I should have ben more specific. There is a 24 hour room service on a select room service menu. Cruise lines used to allow room service from the MDR menus, but they don't anymore.

But hey, I'm open to taking a tray of food from the MDA or buffets, except cruise lines quit using trays in an effort to save food by preventing hungry cruisers from taking more than they could eat. OK, how about a tray just for taking food to the room? I would even be willing to tip the tray handler person the same as I tip the Room Service person.

Ahhh the good ol days of cruising.

Burt

Room service for evening meals for enjoying dinner and stars on the balcony. That was one of those common service that went away with cost cutting.

Burt

On Holland, you can order from the MDR dinner menu within the 1st hour of opening by calling the Room Service number for no additional charge (except the tip for the deliverer).

I know modern cruise ships are like floating cities with all the features and great amenities they provide, but is there something missing that you would like to see on future cruises? Maybe something of a particular interest.

I think a ship simulator would be pretty cool. You step into the a virtual replica bridge of the ship you are on and can pretend to be Captain. Since Royal Caribbean already uses virtual balconies, they could use real-time wind and sea conditions during the simulation.

To the best of my knowledge, the only full bridge virtual simulator (laid out across a duplicate physical bridge) on an actual large ship home based in the US is on the TS Golden Bear at The California Maritime Academy. CMA also has a two story state-of-the-art 360 degree deck simulator onshore. This, of course, is in addition to every imaginable marine engineering simulator imaginable.

If you are in a position to make a significant contribution to CMA's foundation, it may be possible to include the shoreside simulators in a future campus tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To the best of my knowledge, the only full bridge virtual simulator (laid out across a duplicate physical bridge) on an actual large ship home based in the US is on the TS Golden Bear at The California Maritime Academy. CMA also has a two story state-of-the-art 360 degree deck simulator onshore. This, of course, is in addition to every marine engineering simulator imaginable.

If you are in a position to make a significant contribution to CMA's foundation, it may be possible to include the shoreside simulators in a future campus tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are typically board games on cruise ships somewhere, but reviewing even more recent onboard activity sheets, I don't see regular listed activities within which folks can get together with others (that they don't already know) to play board games. Like bridge, two people is often not enough.

I don't want to cruise on a floating theme park.
Haha, I actually would. It'd be kinda cool if someone built a roller coaster or something on a ship! RC has the zip line and waterslides and even a merry go round. I'd love to see a coaster or maybe a free fall / drop ride inside the promenade!

Something like this that used to be in London! ha

Edited by CanobieFan

Haha, I actually would. It'd be kinda cool if someone built a roller coaster or something on a ship! RC has the zip line and waterslides and even a merry go round. I'd love to see a coaster or maybe a free fall / drop ride inside the promenade!

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Something like this! ha

Lol I was thinking the same thing. A rollercoaster that circles around the ship and maybe over the promenade and then drops from the top deck. Pretty sure it might happen soon enough.

Edited by BoiiMcFly

Oh ok interesting...how much of a surcharge are we talking about?

Nominal service charge, $3.95 on Royal Caribbean. From their website:

Room service is available onboard any time of the day or night – simply order from the room service menu located in your stateroom/suite.

A late night service charge of US$3.95 will be applied for onboard room service orders placed between midnight and 5 a.m, intended to minimize onboard food waste, This action was based on an exhaustive review of demand for room service by hour of day and the corresponding amount of food wasted.

The charge will be applied to food items selected from the Light Snacks menu, listed in the stateroom guest services directory. Guests can enjoy complimentary room service from 5:00 a.m. to midnight, which also includes breakfast service, delivered between 7 to 10 a.m. daily.

In conjunction with the room service change and to ensure guests continue to have a no-charge option during the late night timeframe, Royal Caribbean is introducing newly extended hours in either the Solarium Café or Sorrento’s Pizzeria, depending on the ship. On Voyager- and Freedom-class ships, Cafe Promenade also is open 24 hours a day, offering finger sandwiches, cookies and snacks.

Something like this that used to be in London! ha

Not like London's, but the Disney Dream features the first water roller coaster at sea:

:D