Where does the Marina dock in New York

Caroldoll

I haven't looked at Lyn's schedule but I've only heard of one incidence where they used Brooklyn and that was a last minute change. I'd love them to use Brooklyn since then we could walk to the port (!) but I do think it's highly unusual.

Mura

Even though I live in Brooklyn Heights (and love this neighborhood) I can't deny that travel between the two boroughs can be difficult. It's easy by subway, unless your route will entail more than one line. But travel on the road can be very difficult. It depends on the time of day.

When we went midday to the terminal for our one NCL TA seven years ago, traffic was at a standstill. Half way there I realized I'd left my camera at home but we just didn't have the time to turn around and go back to get it. At least I was able to buy a replacement at our first real port.

OTOH when going home to Brooklyn at 7am on a Sunday morning from our first QE2 cruise, nobody was on the road.

And rush hour is a nightmare.

But if you're on a day in port, Brooklyn can be handy -- especially if you are willing to hit the Brooklyn spots that most tourists seem to ignore.

Mura

Even though I live in Brooklyn Heights (and love this neighborhood) I can't deny that travel between the two boroughs can be difficult. It's easy by subway, unless your route will entail more than one line. But travel on the road can be very difficult. It depends on the time of day.

When we went midday to the terminal for our one NCL TA seven years ago, traffic was at a standstill. Half way there I realized I'd left my camera at home but we just didn't have the time to turn around and go back to get it. At least I was able to buy a replacement at our first real port.

OTOH when going home to Brooklyn at 7am on a Sunday morning from our first QE2 cruise, nobody was on the road.

And rush hour is a nightmare.

But if you're on a day in port, Brooklyn can be handy -- especially if you are willing to hit the Brooklyn spots that most tourists seem to ignore.

Mura

Brooklyn has always been a "cool" place, even before (as my uncle Tony used to put it many years ago) "the 'goddam' yuppies started moving in."

As a young man, I split my time growing up between "home" - two blocks from "the junction" (Flatbush and Nostrand, "center of the known universe") and grandma's walkup in that part of scruffy Red Hook (three doors down from the Cammareri Bros bakery - yes, the one made famous in the movie Moonstruck) now aggrandized as part of oh-too-chic Carroll Gardens. I was fortunate enough to attend one of the very best high schools and colleges in the US (Midwood HS and Brooklyn College), neither of which cost (at that time) anything more than books. And, like much of my family of origin, had I never left, I could've had everything anyone could ever need for a decent day-to-day existence from excellent museums and hospitals to expansive parks to world class sports (damn those Trolley 'Dodgers') to live arts performances and beaches/amusement parks, not to mention some of the finest food imaginable from Peter Luger's and the River Café to Frankies Sputino and the NYT's favorite pizza place (DiFara's on Avenue J) as well as the real Nathan's, all without ever having to cross one of the most beautiful bridges in the world.

Love that view of the Manhattan skyline you always see in stock photos or in movies/TV across the media? It's taken from The Esplanade in Brooklyn Heights.

Have "New York style" cheesecake promised by your local restaurant? That style (or the attempt) is based on Brooklyn's own Juniors. Ever had a deep fried calzone? House of Pizza and Calzone on Union Street.

Sure, Manhattan has a lot going for it and even a visit "upstate" to the Bronx or out to the "Island" (i.e., Queens - if you're from Brooklyn) or to "the Gateway to NJ," Staten Island, has some things worth the time and effort to get there.

But, Brooklyn (once hailed as the fourth largest city in the US)??? fuggedaboutit!!! THAT is where you need to spend your next pre/post cruise visit to NYC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

+1

But then, given your handle, I'm not surprised!

Living in Brooklyn Heights since June 1972 ... in our current coop apartment since December 1980 ... We don't like to move!

Mura

Brooklyn has always been a "cool" place, even before (as my uncle Tony used to put it many years ago) "the 'goddam' yuppies started moving in."

As a young man, I split my time growing up between "home" - two blocks from "the junction" (Flatbush and Nostrand, "center of the known universe") and grandma's walkup in that part of scruffy Red Hook (three doors down from the Cammareri Bros bakery - yes, the one made famous in the movie Moonstruck) now aggrandized as part of oh-too-chic Carroll Gardens. I was fortunate enough to attend one of the very best high schools and colleges in the US (Midwood HS and Brooklyn College), neither of which cost (at that time) anything more than books. And, like much of my family of origin, had I never left, I could've had everything anyone could ever need for a decent day-to-day existence from excellent museums and hospitals to expansive parks to world class sports (damn those Trolley 'Dodgers') to live arts performances and beaches/amusement parks, not to mention some of the finest food imaginable from Peter Luger's and the River Café to Frankies Sputino and the NYT's favorite pizza place (DiFara's on Avenue J) as well as the real Nathan's, all without ever having to cross one of the most beautiful bridges in the world.

Love that view of the Manhattan skyline you always see in stock photos or in movies/TV across the media? It's taken from The Esplanade in Brooklyn Heights.

Have "New York style" cheesecake promised by your local restaurant? That style (or the attempt) is based on Brooklyn's own Juniors. Ever had a deep fried calzone? House of Pizza and Calzone on Union Street.

Sure, Manhattan has a lot going for it and even a visit "upstate" to the Bronx or out to the "Island" (i.e., Queens - if you're from Brooklyn) or to "the Gateway to NJ," Staten Island, has some things worth the time and effort to get there.

But, Brooklyn (once hailed as the fourth largest city in the US)??? fuggedaboutit!!! THAT is where you need to spend your next pre/post cruise visit to NYC.

Sorry, but Madison HS was # 1.. Brighton Beach and Coney Island. All others were 2nd place. But not bad either. Brooklyn, A great place to grow up.

I was a lifeguard on Bay 1 Brighton Beach. They keep us short guys down there so that, when there was a big fight near Nathan's, it would be over by the time we ran all that way.

As for Brooklyn beaches: Manhattan Beach.

Madison, Bay 3, and then Manhattan Beach. Parking lot there when we could drive. I think Bay 1 was mostly Lincoln.

Madison, Bay 3, and then Manhattan Beach. Parking lot there when we could drive. I think Bay 1 was mostly Lincoln.

Once I had a car (kind of a bad decision because "alternate side parking" requiring me to park further from Brooklyn College then I lived), we migrated to Neponsit (just past Riis Park) for our regular beach hangout. Also used to drive out to the Nathan's in Oceanside.

Though Midwood's main hangout was Avenue J, we'd head over to Madison territory on Kings Hwy every once in awhile. Our Midwood class of '63 had its 50th reunion a few years back. It was amazing to see how many of us ended up in California.

the NYT's favorite pizza place (DiFara's on Avenue J) as well as the real Nathan's, all without ever having to cross one of the most beautiful bridges in the world.

OMG DiFara's. Isn't that the one at 15th Street on the corner? It is to this day the best pizza I have ever had!! Also miss the Brooklyn bagels & onion rolls! Never found better anywhere around the country.

This thread has me wanting a big piece of Ebinger's blackout cake.

Ebinger's, the best cakes ever. And the Brooklyn Dodgers, the best baseball team ever. Still hate L.A. Glad to see that Walter O'Malley finally died. Took my team away. Been wishing since 1958.

Ebinger's, the best cakes ever. And the Brooklyn Dodgers, the best baseball team ever. Still hate L.A. Glad to see that Walter O'Malley finally died. Took my team away. Been wishing since 1958.

Imagine what it's like for those of us in the SF Bay Area - the only "local" teams are the former "upstate NY" Giants and the Athletics.

I can't disagree that Ebinger's makes good cakes.

But that's an anomaly in Brooklyn.

Zabars red velvet cake - now that's a cake.