Voltage Question

Stuartm

I searched the forum and read that there is a dual voltage plug in the bathroom of Princess ships. Is it one of those "shavers only" plugs because I"m hoping I can plug my electric toothbrush into it. Alternatively I could plug it into another socket in the cabin but, as it is a 240 volts charger, if I plug it into a 110 volts socket will it still charge...but just take longer? (science ain't my forte!) I know I can just buy a regular toothbrush...but comforts of home etc.etc. And yes, I know I need an adaptor...and in case there are differences..I will be on the Diamond Princess.

Can't answer your question, but I do know that electric clocks plugged into the ship's system often run faster than they should. I've been told that it has something to do with the cycle rate rather than the voltage.

I also know that when my 1st wife plugged a hairdryer (US voltage) into the plug in the hotel in Victoria, BC many years ago, it burned out the motor!

I understand about creature comforts. ;)

We have also taken a small electric toothbrush with us (although it's 110V). These were on the Pacific Princess and Royal Princess. In both cases we simply left it plugged in to the bathroom outlet the entire trip. Yes, the outlet in the bathroom is one of those "shaver only" types. I'm pretty sure they were dual voltage.

What does your toothbrush say about charging requirements? A number of electric devices can handle multiple voltages these days. There should be some indication on it describing the voltage range. Hopefully for you it says 110-240V, 50-60Hz so this all becomes a non-issue. I'm not an engineer or physicist, but trying to plug a 240V device into a 110V outlet is generally ineffective.

I can tell you that I kept our electric toothbrush plugged into the bathroom outlet on the Diamond for 15 days with no problem. I can't tell you anything about the voltage, but since we are US based, I presume it's 110v.

In fact, I'm starting to research that myself for our upcoming Baltic cruise, for the hotel pre-cruise.

The only Princess ship that I've cruised on that had dual voltage is the TP--

very handy--use adapter to use the one that is not yours--that way you can plug in pretty much all you want at once

Nancy:D

The only Princess ship that I've cruised on that had dual voltage is the TP--

very handy--use adapter to use the one that is not yours--that way you can plug in pretty much all you want at once

The Sea Princess has dual voltage not only in the bathroom but in the cabin as well.

Here's a photo of the outlet in the bathroom:

outlet1.jpg

The Sea Princess has dual voltage not only in the bathroom but in the cabin as well.

Here's a photo of the outlet in the bathroom:

outlet1.jpg

Well, I must admit that I have cruised on the Sea Princess and never noticed--I always thought that the one in the bathroom was for shavers.

I usually plug in at the desk--but my hair dryer and straightener have such large plugs --you can only use one at a time--to straighten my hair I blow dry a section then straighten it-=until that horrible job is done!! So I plug then unplug.

Thanks

Nancy:D

Oh Druke, Oh Druke, Oh Druke!!!

When will you Americans quit blaming all your woes on Canada?

We sell you the hydro power that fills most of the power grid in the US, we sell you water from our rivers for irrigation and we sell you the most beautiful scenery in the world when you visit Canada.

Admit it...your wife just bought a crappy hair dryer from Target.

Ciao for now!!!

• 2 years later...

I know this is a pretty old thread but I figured someone might benefit from my post.

Just finished cruising the eastern Mediterranean on Ruby Princess during which time I used the dual (120/230) voltage shaver socket in the bathroom to charge my toothbrush, mobile phone and digital camera. All of these would probably have charged ok from the 120volt socket but the plugs weren't compatible.

attachment.php?attachmentid=172081&stc=1&d=1287245772

Initially I thought the plug for the toothbrush charger would fit the 230V socket above but the pins were too big.

The solution was to plug my TravelPlug international adapter into the 230V socket. Once I'd done this I could plug all 3 chargers into the 3-pin UK style socket.

To check that your international adapter will work, do the following before you leave home;

Configure it for 2 round pins that can be plugged snugly into the 230V socket of a UK shaver point. If you can't configure it to do this, it's of no use on-board.

Also, if you want to charge your toothbrush on-board, make sure that you can then plug your toothbrush charger into this international adapter. Mine allows me to do this directly but I suspect some will not. If not, simply plug in a 'DSP1273 Shaver/Toothbrush Plug Adapter' and plug your toothbrush charger into that.

***************** WARNING WARNING WARNING ****************

You may think that now you can plug a UK 3-pin plug into the 230V socket on the bathroom shaver point, it's safe to plug anything into it. IT ISN'T.

Only use this solution for charging camera batteries, toothbrushes and the like. DO NOT USE IT FOR HAIR-DRYERS, ELECTRIC KETTLES AND THE LIKE. LEAVE THESE ITEMS AT HOME ALONG WITH THE ARC WELDER

1514490941_RubyPrincess-RazorPoint(croppedresized).JPG.5620584192d8050db46f92259fd47864.JPG

I searched the forum and read that there is a dual voltage plug in the bathroom of Princess ships. Is it one of those "shavers only" plugs because I"m hoping I can plug my electric toothbrush into it.

Yes, it is one of the "shavers only" plugs. I do not know if it accepts the standard Australia/New Zealand plug type.

Yes, it is one of the "shavers only" plugs. I do not know if it accepts the standard Australia/New Zealand plug type.

If my memory serves me correctly from my time living in NZ, the standard plug has 3 pins and the 2 power pins are at an angle to the earth pin, so it would not fit directly into the shaver socket. You'll need an adapter.

• 1 year later...

Going back to the question of cabin plugs etc. I have sailed on the Sun and Dawn Princess that both have Australian sockets and voltage, so no problem for me there.

We are booked on the Ocean Princess later this year and have been advised by Princess that it is a ship with US sockets and voltage.

My question is:

I have a nice new Panasonic Camcorder with a charger for Australia electricity. Is there a converter available that can transform the cabin voltage to Australian voltage so that I will be able to recharge my camcorder without the risk of burning it up? If so where do I get it?

I have a nice new Panasonic Camcorder with a charger for Australia electricity. Is there a converter available that can transform the cabin voltage to Australian voltage so that I will be able to recharge my camcorder without the risk of burning it up? If so where do I get it?

There are also two European type plus with European voltage as shown in the picture below.

You will need to bring your own connector plugs that will allow you to connect your Australian plug to the sockets available.

Most (but not all) electronics these days will allow you to plug into either 220V or 110V outlets. Check if your charger can do both.

2953558090016033894S600x600Q85.jpg

Usually on the box or on the appliance itself may tell you if the item is dual voltage. I know that many newer electronics now automatically convert, but you need to make sure so you can make the right choice.

I work part time in a travel/luggage store and we carry both types of convertors, those that step down the power for 110 items and (I guess) step up the power for countries that use 220/230. We have stores here called Radio Shack that sell these items as well, don't know what you have in Oz, but am sure you can find the same type of product there.

I know one of our convertor packs has all the plugs in the kit, to be used worldwide.

Usually on the box or on the appliance itself may tell you if the item is dual voltage. I know that many newer electronics now automatically convert, but you need to make sure so you can make the right choice.

I work part time in a travel/luggage store and we carry both types of convertors, those that step down the power for 110 items and (I guess) step up the power for countries that use 220/230. We have stores here called Radio Shack that sell these items as well, don't know what you have in Oz, but am sure you can find the same type of product there.

I know one of our convertor packs has all the plugs in the kit, to be used worldwide.

Thanks, I will try our Dick Smith store here.

Archived