Does the bad weather in New York State give delays at JFK?

sverigecruiser

I have seen on the news that parts of New York State has gotten huge amounts of snow. Is that a problem at all on JFK or is that too far away?

Since we shall cruise from New York in February it's very interesting to follow the weathersituation in the area close to New York.

Can anyone recommend a site where I can see departures, arrivals, delays etc. in real time for JFK?

I have seen on the news that parts of New York State has gotten huge amounts of snow. Is that a problem at all on JFK or is that too far away?

Since we shall cruise from New York in February it's very interesting to follow the weathersituation in the area close to New York.

Can anyone recommend a site where I can see departures, arrivals, delays etc. in real time for JFK?

The major snow that we've seen this week has fallen in and around Buffalo, which is the other side of the state and an area quite prone to heavy snowfall due to its lakeside location (although this has been quite exceptional).

It's a bit like wondering if Stockholm would be affected by a storm in Copenhagen - it's not impossible for the 2 locations to be affected by the same weather system, but certainly not an automatic.

As for checking flights, I usually look at an airport's official website: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/flight-status.html?view=&apt=JFK

I live in NYC not too far from JFK. Everything is normal here, no snow, just a bit cold.

You may have knock on delays from flights heading to affected areas but other than that the airport is running as normal.

This site is helpful to look at for major US airports:

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

You can also look at current operations by airport on http://www.flightstats.com.

Or here:

http://www.flightaware.com

BUF today:

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Mobile/airportDetails.do?airport=%28BUF%29+Buffalo+Niagara+Intl%2C+Buffalo%2C+NY%2C+US

Edited by 6rugrats

Nephew is at SUNY Fredonia about an hour west of Buffalo classes cancelled next two days. Last time I talked to him 6 ft plus more today. Only would effect you if you were flying to/from Buffalo or the region. Planes fly over snow storms outside of their terminal phases (takeoff/landing).

I have to visit him end of February for his Senior recital and we are dreading the Lake Effect Snow they constantly get and traveling to/from there. Yet to decide to spend the money to fly and rent a car or drive the 8 hours plus if there is weather.

FWIW

It's a bit like wondering if Stockholm would be affected by a storm in Copenhagen - it's not impossible for the 2 locations to be affected by the same weather system, but certainly not an automatic.

I really understand that and I know that New York State is big and that bad weather in Buffalo doesn't necessary mean bad weather in New York. I have a brother who lives in Plattsburgh so I know about the distances within the same state.

And of course, there is the permanent caveat that even if you have perfect weather at your location, if either your equipment and/or your crew are in a weather impacted location, you'll be hit. AA flights from DFW that rely on an airplane coming from ORD need to have both DFW and ORD working fine. Ditto with other carriers and systems.

The good news....not too much "downstream" effect from delays/cancellations at BUF. Certainly not as if ORD or DEN or similar were hammered.

I really understand that and I know that New York State is big and that bad weather in Buffalo doesn't necessary mean bad weather in New York. I have a brother who lives in Plattsburgh so I know about the distances within the same state.

I'm a little confused. First you wanted to know if snow in Buffalo was causing problems at JFK, then you said you understood that Buffalo was relatively far from NYC. :confused:

In any event, for what it's worth I flew out of LaGuardia this morning and flights were operating just fine. (Well, other than flights from the Buffalo area into NYC or anywhere; I would assume those weren't getting out, but otherwise things seemed fine.) No snow in the city, just cold!

I'm a little confused. First you wanted to know if snow in Buffalo was causing problems at JFK, then you said you understood that Buffalo was relatively far from NYC. :confused:

In any event, for what it's worth I flew out of LaGuardia this morning and flights were operating just fine. (Well, other than flights from the Buffalo area into NYC or anywhere; I would assume those weren't getting out, but otherwise things seemed fine.) No snow in the city, just cold!

Yes Buffalo is RELATIVELY far from NYC. I shouldn't ask if the snowstorm was in California but since Buffalo and NYC are relatively close a big snowstorm can cause problems in both towns. If NYC should get as much snow as Buffalo got very few persons in Europe should get any news from Buffalo, NYC should get all attention. So I know that NYC didn't got lots of snow but it can still be some snow and ice causing delays at JFK.

Hej,

The snowstorm in the Buffalo area was the result of "lake effect" snow, blowing in off the Great Lakes. And it can be very localized, in bands, where the snow depth can vary mile by mile. For instance, the BUF airport didn't get hit too hard (less than 2 feet of snow, I think), but just a couple miles away there was over 5 feet of snow. It seems that many flights were cancelled more as a precaution than actual necessity.

NYC doesn't get lake effect snow. It gets coastal storms which generally blow through, eventually. Lake effect will continue to fall as long as the wind is blowing, and the lakes don't freeze. Buffalo and NYC may be in the same state, but different weather patterns. Hope this helps!

I am hoping that you are not asking this question because you plan to arrive the day of the cruise. If you are I think that is a bad mistake.

Many delays by the way have absolutely nothing to do with weather in New York or anywhere for that matter.

Keith

Yes Buffalo is RELATIVELY far from NYC. I shouldn't ask if the snowstorm was in California but since Buffalo and NYC are relatively close a big snowstorm can cause problems in both towns. If NYC should get as much snow as Buffalo got very few persons in Europe should get any news from Buffalo, NYC should get all attention. So I know that NYC didn't got lots of snow but it can still be some snow and ice causing delays at JFK.

They are relatively close (compared to, say, NYC and Los Angeles) but they are still far enough apart that weather in one may have no effect on the other.

Suggestion: Use an app or website like weather.com to check the weather in whatever city around the world you are interested in. You can immediately see that while there was 6 feet of snow in Buffalo, there was nothing in NYC.:)

I am hoping that you are not asking this question because you plan to arrive the day of the cruise. If you are I think that is a bad mistake.

Many delays by the way have absolutely nothing to do with weather in New York or anywhere for that matter.

Keith

No, we will arrive on wednesday for a cruise leaving on sunday.

They are relatively close (compared to, say, NYC and Los Angeles) but they are still far enough apart that weather in one may have no effect on the other.

Suggestion: Use an app or website like weather.com to check the weather in whatever city around the world you are interested in. You can immediately see that while there was 6 feet of snow in Buffalo, there was nothing in NYC.:)

I agree with you that weather in one may have no effect on the other.

I thank you for the advice about weather.com but I can also ask a question here on cruisecritic, if someone wants to answer they can but noone really has to.

I too will be flying through JKF in Feb. I am leaving from MSP with 1 hour and 22 minutes to make a connection to SDQ both on Delta.

I remember when flying into JFK about five times a year from MSP and the pilot saying ,on one flight, that they needed permission from JFK before they could take off . So we stayed at the gate aobut 20 minutes before we had a go…

Does that make sense?

I remember when flying into JFK about five times a year from MSP and the pilot saying ,on one flight, that they needed permission from JFK before they could take off . So we stayed at the gate aobut 20 minutes before we had a go…

Does that make sense?

Yes - this sort of thing happens frequently.

An airport can only handle a certain rate of arrivals. Aircraft that are in the air can't just pull over to the side of the road and wait indefinitely. So if more aircraft are expected than the airport can handle, air traffic control will refuse permission for some aircraft to set off unless and until they can be dealt with on arrival.

The same sometimes applies if there's some airspace en route that will get too full or busy.

20 minutes isn't too bad. I've once had an occasion when we were told that we would have to push back and taxi to a remote part of the airfield to wait - we had to get going to free up the gate for an incoming aircraft. But our takeoff slot was not for another 75 minutes.

Still, it was better than being in the queue to take off at JFK, and being told that we were number 39.

I agree with you that weather in one may have no effect on the other.

I thank you for the advice about weather.com but I can also ask a question here on cruisecritic, if someone wants to answer they can but noone really has to.

Yes, of course you can. Just like I can offer suggestions and you can heed them or not. You mentioned that Europeans get little news about New York weather other than NYC so I offered a suggestion to get the needed weather info, without relying on the little bit that may come across in your news media. As for your original question about a website for airline disruptions specifically, you can check the website for the airline you're flying, the airport website, or a site like flightaware.com.

Yes, of course you can. Just like I can offer suggestions and you can heed them or not. You mentioned that Europeans get little news about New York weather other than NYC so I offered a suggestion to get the needed weather info, without relying on the little bit that may come across in your news media. As for your original question about a website for airline disruptions specifically, you can check the website for the airline you're flying, the airport website, or a site like flightaware.com.

Thanks Meg.