Caviar onboard

800below

What is the procedure for ordering caviar onboard is is still readily available or is it now charged for, it is some time since my last cruise and the caviar and champagne late in the afternoon was one of the highlights

Both still freely available. It is to be hoped that the ad lib caviar does not go the way it did a few years on Seadream, when it was ordered so often by so many they took it off the included delights. Of course it is now from, I think, South America or maybe the US, so there is a much larger supply and maybe it does not cost so much. There was an abundance on the fairly simple TK caviar starter in the dining room recently.

The caviar was still delicious on our cruise earlier this year and I'm looking forward to enjoying it with champagne in July. It is Black River Caviar which is farmed in Uruguay but the original source was from Russia.

http://blog.seabourn.com/seabourn-sources-sustainable-sturgeon-caviar

I certainly wouldn't consider it a lesser product if you check the prices below -

http://www.blackrivercaviar.com/store/russian-oscietra-acipenser-gueldenstaedtii-gp-black

I do know I enjoy having as an occasional treat, but not to often, you have to watch those calories sometimes. :)

It is best ordered with a bit of notice as a pre dinner treat or even lunch time as it can take a while sometimes to arrive if they're busy. Just let them know what time you would like it at the club, observation lounge, patio grill or delivered to your room.

If you do order it spontaneously, if it is at a busy time please give them some indulgence as to when they get it too you. It can be a good 30 minutes or more, they do aim to get it too you as soon as possible.

Julie

I am sure that the availability of supply will help - the Russian caviar was I believe getting quite difficult to get hold of, and there were concerns about whether the trade should continue.

I should have said, although I am no real conoisseur, that the caviar supplied on the TK starter was both attractive looking and very good to eat. Being a bit old-fashioned, I actually prefer the traditional method of serving it with the egg, onion, etc.

We returned from 2-week Quest cruise last week. I can assure everyone that caviar is available in the Observation Bar, your suite, or at dinner. We ordered it, without prior notice, at least 6 times, mostly in the dining room, and we never had to wait more than 10 minutes, usually less. I hope there is some left for you.

We returned from 2-week Quest cruise last week. I can assure everyone that caviar is available in the Observation Bar, your suite, or at dinner. We ordered it, without prior notice, at least 6 times, mostly in the dining room, and we never had to wait more than 10 minutes, usually less. I hope there is some left for you.

That is great to know. Hmmm, I did notice when checking the Black River website some of the categories for sale marked as sold out..........maybe it was all the stock rushed to Seabourn Quest as replacement after your cruise :D.

I mentioned the possibility of delay as on some cruises when there has been either many people ordering at the same time, another special event on or for whatever reason, there has been a wait. Some of the waiting passengers got very frustrated ( and vocal) so maybe if people are aware this may happen they won't get so annoyed. And I have seen this occurring on both the small and large ships.

Julie

Julie,

Even given Bostonactor's recent experience of caviar on demand I do think you are fair to suggest people give SB a bit of advance notice on ordering. As you say when they are slammed with orders some impatient passengers show their distress.

And while I am a not at all a caviar aficionado I have many friends who are and would hate to see it "rationed" in response to those who order it and consume it with abandon. I was on one cruise with a number of newbies who had gotten a very good deal on the cruise and proceeded to order caviar non stop. It was bad enough those who ordered it every single day of the cruise but then I discovered there were others who had a daily order in the afternoon by the pool, before dinner in the Club and then as part of their first course.

But I must also admit their are times when Seabourn almost seems to be trying to find new ways to thrust it upon us.. There was another cruise where at the Epicurean Event on deck they were scooping out this dull grey unappetizing caviar sorbet. The HD knew I am very interested in food and said I had to try it. Well I did and I think even if I liked caviar I would have still found it dreadful!

So let me say now to any caviar lovers I will happily trade you my daily portion of caviar for your share of Humboldt Fog cheese. Any takers? [emoji6]

Julie,

But I must also admit their are times when Seabourn almost seems to be trying to find new ways to thrust it upon us.. There was another cruise where at the Epicurean Event on deck they were scooping out this dull grey unappetizing caviar sorbet. The HD knew I am very interested in food and said I had to try it. Well I did and I think even if I liked caviar I would have still found it dreadful!

So let me say now to any caviar lovers I will happily trade you my daily portion of caviar for your share of Humboldt Fog cheese. Any takers? [emoji6]

I was on a cruise in 2014 or 2015 and got to experience this caviar ice cream and I also found it dreadful......and I love caviar.......thankfully I have never seen it since.

No I won't give you my share of Humboldt Fog Cheese either though I will happily take your caviar.:cool:

Julie