How best to get to Hobbiton?

Mezzaluna

My husband and I will be sailing on Oceania Marina January 24 - February 28, 2015. We'll be visiting New Zealand and while there we'd like to see Hobbiton, the now-permanent film set used in Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" and "Hobbit" movies, just outside Matamata.

We looked on the location's website http://hobbiton.centaman-apac01.net/Home/tabid/38/Default.aspx to try and find a way to reach it, since there's no excursion from the cruise line. Several companies were mentioned, and I'd like to know if anyone has experience with any of them. They are:

• Shore Trips and Tours
  • Zealandia Tours
  • Elite Limousines

I sent an email to Hobbiton Movie Set Tours, the company which runs the set location and the administrator (who answered almost immediately) mentioned only Shore Trips and Tours. Any information about visiting this place would be greatly appreciated. Zealandia Tours makes a point of guaranteeing a timely return to the ship, and the timing of the tour would confirm that (barring mechanical problems, of course).

Thanks in advance,

Ann

My husband and I will be sailing on Oceania Marina January 24 - February 28, 2015. We'll be visiting New Zealand and while there we'd like to see Hobbiton, the now-permanent film set used in Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" and "Hobbit" movies, just outside Matamata.

We looked on the location's website http://hobbiton.centaman-apac01.net/Home/tabid/38/Default.aspx to try and find a way to reach it, since there's no excursion from the cruise line. Several companies were mentioned, and I'd like to know if anyone has experience with any of them. They are:

• Shore Trips and Tours
  • Zealandia Tours
  • Elite Limousines

I sent an email to Hobbiton Movie Set Tours, the company which runs the set location and the administrator (who answered almost immediately) mentioned only Shore Trips and Tours. Any information about visiting this place would be greatly appreciated. Zealandia Tours makes a point of guaranteeing a timely return to the ship, and the timing of the tour would confirm that (barring mechanical problems, of course).

Thanks in advance,

Ann

Hi Ann

I have used Shore Trips several times (I am registered with them also). They have been in business a long time and have an excellent reputation. The owner (Iain), who I have met on an unrelated business matter, used to post on these forums in a very unbiased way, but unfortunately he was banned.:mad:

Check out their web site: https://www.shoretripsandtours.com/

They will not let you down

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

• Shore Trips and Tours
  • Zealandia Tours
  • Elite Limousines

Thanks in advance,

Ann

I gather from the tour choices that you coming from Tauranga (Mt Maunganui) to Hobbiton. I live in Matamata home of Hobbiton. It will take approx 1 hr to 1 hr 15 mins to get from the dock to Hobbiton. Traffic is at its peak between 8 - 9 am and again from 4.30 - 6 pm.

You will be travelling through Tauranga and over the Kaimai Ranges to get here. So this will give you some idea of the amount of time you can expect to be at Hobbiton.

It is very well organized and I am sure you will enjoy your visit very much. They usually transfer you to a tour bus that has a guide that gives a lot of information and are able to answer any questions you have about the filming etc. The souvenir shop is small but has a good range of items they are a little expensive but most you cannot buy any where else but Hobbiton.

If I can help with any other information please let me know. This is the offical link to Hobbiton not sure if you have the same one.

http://www.hobbitontours.com/Home/tabid/38/Default.aspx

We are traveling with another couple. Hobbiton is a must see for them (I admit I've never seen any of the movies, or read the books). In your opinion is it better to go to Hobbiton from Auckland or from Tauranga? Once we know that we’d like to explore what our options are for Tauranga. The ship is in port from around 7:00am to 6:00pm. In Auckland we’re in port from noon until 9:00pm. What do your recommend as far as Hobbiton?

Edited by bconley351

Te Aroha, I have to say, it was beyond my expectations to find someone who lives so close to the site and who knows so much. Thank you for your help and insights!

Yes, we're docking at Tauranga. Our ship arrives at 8:45 AM and departs at 7:45 PM. I haven't booked a tour yet but expect to shortly.

As you can probably tell, I'm quite excited to visit. I first read the Tolkien books as a teenager in the '60s and was captivated. The films are wonderful in their own way, not the least for the otherworldly (to me) settings. Yes, there was an awful lot of computer generated background in the LOTR films, but when I saw "The Hobbit" and learned so much of the outdoor filming was actual New Zealand landscape, I resolved to visit and see the country for myself. It's the reason I sought out the cruise line I did (Oceania): because it makes more stops in NZ than any other international line I could find.

Yes, we're also going to The WETA Cave in Wellington when we're there as well. :)

We've been leaning toward Zealandia Tours but Flipper, your mention of Iain's experience here isn't reassuring, I must say. :confused: bconley we had considered the option of staying an additional day in Auckland if it was more accessible to reach Matamata from there, but after investigating, found Tauranga was the way to go. I'm happy to hear Te Aroha confirm that.

Now I'll have to save my pennies so I can hit the gift shop. I'd love to have one of those Leaf of Lorien pins....

Elven_Brooch_Silver_Plated-The_Lord_of_the_Rings_NN9831.jpg

I am so happy that I could help you. If you are looking for a very special item you can buy an exact replica of the "Ring" in silver or gold. They have the quote inscribed into them and are only available in the Matamata area and I believe at the shop in Hobbiton.

I hope all works out for you, this is an area of our district that I am very proud of, you will see there are no power lines in sight, this is one of the reasons that Peter Jackson picked this area for the village as he flew over the area looking for suitable filming sights. He noted how it looked so like the middle earth he was looking to find.

When they were filming it was not unusual to go into town for coffee and run into actors that were in the movie, some still in costume.

The films are wonderful and I enjoy them tremendously. But the books still surpass them in my mind so far as characters and story are concerned. What gets me to put those DVDs back into the machine again and again is the landscapes, the scenery in which they were filmed. The music is outstanding, the actors are amazing (Ian McKellan, Christopher Lee especially, Bernard Hill, Sean Bean, Miranda Otto to name a few) but it's the landscape that brings me from Pewaukee, Wisconsin to your countryside.

If I'm lucky enough to be able to return, it'll be to visit by land and not by ship. Even though this cruise will take us to more ports than most cruise lines do, we won't see much of the interior, I know. We'll just have to come back. :)

Is it possible to rent a car from Auckland and see the caves, Hobbitron and maybe the geothermal area in 1day. If you were to delete one of those and save for a cruise tour day what would it be? We are thinking of renting a car and driving to the area from Auckland for a long day. There is so much we want to see here! Help! Thanks, Karen

Waitomo Caves and Hobbiton are doable from Auckland in one very long day and I think there may even be a tour that runs from Auckland that covers those two places. Do a search on this board, I'm sure someone mentioned it a while back.

Then do Rotorua for the geothermal areas as a cruise day tour.

Ok I do have the tour company that runs to Auckland and back and I was planning on doing the geothermal on the cruise day.(Good to know I was on the right track). I was just wondering if it was worth it to do on our own to get away from the "herd". Driving would be a bit of a challenge. I think we'll stick with the herd....thanks!

Karen

Ok I do have the tour company that runs to Auckland and back and I was planning on doing the geothermal on the cruise day.(Good to know I was on the right track). I was just wondering if it was worth it to do on our own to get away from the "herd". Driving would be a bit of a challenge. I think we'll stick with the herd....thanks!

Karen

Hey neighbor, our daughter lived in Mason for 3 years. We are sailing the Solstice 1/27/15 from 0Z to NZ. We are staying 2 nights in Auckland then renting a car and driving down to Rotorua for a 3 night stay. We plan to visit Hibbiton on our way down. There is so much to see and do in this area. Maybe if time allows...you can arrange for several days pre-cruise to extend your visit. Also...if you do not have air miles to redeem...check into choice air. We found a great price from Cleveland to Sydney.

Edited by debshomespun

Karen

It would be a lot of driving. The beauty about doing it as a tour is that you can relax and enjoy the scenery while someone else does the driving. ;)

Hope you have a wonderful trip. :)

Deb/ Ohio Neighbor I would love to ask you questions surrounding your journey if you don't mind! My email is oslerfamily@gmail.com.

Great suggestions everyone, thanks. I think since we are going into New Zealand a few days early we'll just take the tour and soak up a 2.5 hour ride through the interior to and from (Hey we did a 12 hour round trip from Vegas to Grand Canyon- so this will be easy!)

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

Pegasus Car Rental will do a car for the day for about NZ$100 and will have a shuttle to take you between their Tauranga depot and the ship. Then you can just drive yourself to Hobbiton at your leisure and stop to see other things along the way.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kind of zeroing in on Shore Trips and Tours. Does anyone have any information in favor or against this company? It's hard to get ratings, at least how I've been looking. I'm most concerned about reliability of vehicles and schedules so we don't miss our ship. It departs Tauranga at 7:45 PM.

I don't know the tour company you are asking about but you need not worry about transport. If something did break down which is unlikely then we have many ways to get you back to the ship on time from Matamata.

• 1 month later...

We've booked a private excursion from Tauranga (Rotorura) to the Hobbiton movie set near Matamata for February 26 through Zealandier Tours. If anyone else is interested please contact me. My e-mail is mezzaluna@wi.rr.com .

The tour is about 5.5 hours. It's not stopping at the hot springs, just the movie set. I don't know if any other people are in the vehicle, but Oceania Marina is the only cruise ship in port that day so there are not other vessels bringing in crowds of people. Departure is 10 a.m., meet-up at 9:45. They guarantee return before sailing. The cost for two adults is $358 NZ and includes a box lunch.

Here's the link to this particular tour: http://www.zealandiertours.com/cruise-ship-visitor-tours-html/port-of-tauranga-rotorua-day-tours/hobbiton-movie-set-only/

Edited by Mezzaluna

• 2 months later...

We took our tour of Hobbiton with Zealandier Tours (our guide was Pete). One other couple from our ship, Oceania Marina, was in the van with us.

Pete was an excellent driver and knew the vicinity very well. He suggested some possible additional stops on the way back to the ship, since the other couple added the tour literally at the last minute. Having flexibility like that was great.

The site has unpaved paths with uneven, sometimes a bit steep surfaces.

The tour included entrance to Hobbiton, a cold beverage at the Green Dragon, and a very nice "Hobbit-sized lunch" served family style. The meal included baked chicken, meatballs in sauce, green salad, vegetable slaw, bread and butter, potato salad... I've lost track! There was plenty of food. The facilities (including rest rooms) were clean and attractive, although not easily-accessible for people with mobility issues, as the woman of the couple is. But they managed.

The tour was $179 NZ per person. The company was very easy to work with and to communicate with. I would recommend them without reservation.

• 1 month later...
We took our tour of Hobbiton with Zealandier Tours (our guide was Pete). One other couple from our ship, Oceania Marina, was in the van with us.

Pete was an excellent driver and knew the vicinity very well. He suggested some possible additional stops on the way back to the ship, since the other couple added the tour literally at the last minute. Having flexibility like that was great.

The site has unpaved paths with uneven, sometimes a bit steep surfaces.

The tour included entrance to Hobbiton, a cold beverage at the Green Dragon, and a very nice "Hobbit-sized lunch" served family style. The meal included baked chicken, meatballs in sauce, green salad, vegetable slaw, bread and butter, potato salad... I've lost track! There was plenty of food. The facilities (including rest rooms) were clean and attractive, although not easily-accessible for people with mobility issues, as the woman of the couple is. But they managed.

The tour was $179 NZ per person. The company was very easy to work with and to communicate with. I would recommend them without reservation.

Mezzaluna, if you're still reading this thread, was it just the 4 of you in the van? Is is a private tour or just however many booked?

• 5 months later...

Thank you for all the valuable information!!! :)

My parents and I will be sailing on Celebrity Solstice Dec 16~Dec 28, 2015. I am overwhelmed at work and did not do much trip planning yet, your posts really helps.

We'll arrive Auckland on Dec 12 evening. My parents are in their early 70's and both in fairly good physical condition, I like to check out Hobbiton and Waitomo cave but don't want to do it within one day to avoid long drive. Here is what I am thinking:

12.12 flight land AKL around 6:30pm, take taxi or airport bus to Auckland CBD. Stay two nights in Auckland.

12.13 city tour, maybe take ferry to Waiheke Island

12.14 rent a car from Auckland downtown Avis, drive south to Waitomo, Waitomo Cave tour, then head to Rotorua Gondola, stay over night in Rotorua

12.15 visit Agrodome farm for the sheep show and tour, and take the Hobbiton tour in the afternoon, return to Auckland this evening.

12.16 return car back to Avis and take a taxi to cruise terminal. (can I drop off luggage to cruise terminal early? Like maybe 10am? I am thinking to keep the car till afternoon to drive to Auckland North.)

Any suggest to add or modify the route? Any scenic route I should take or attractions on the way I should check out?

Thanks in advance!!

Thank you for all the valuable information!!! :)

My parents and I will be sailing on Celebrity Solstice Dec 16~Dec 28, 2015. I am overwhelmed at work and did not do much trip planning yet, your posts really helps.

We'll arrive Auckland on Dec 12 evening. My parents are in their early 70's and both in fairly good physical condition, I like to check out Hobbiton and Waitomo cave but don't want to do it within one day to avoid long drive. Here is what I am thinking:

12.12 flight land AKL around 6:30pm, take taxi or airport bus to Auckland CBD. Stay two nights in Auckland.

12.13 city tour, maybe take ferry to Waiheke Island

12.14 rent a car from Auckland downtown Avis, drive south to Waitomo, Waitomo Cave tour, then head to Rotorua Gondola, stay over night in Rotorua

12.15 visit Agrodome farm for the sheep show and tour, and take the Hobbiton tour in the afternoon, return to Auckland this evening.

12.16 return car back to Avis and take a taxi to cruise terminal. (can I drop off luggage to cruise terminal early? Like maybe 10am? I am thinking to keep the car till afternoon to drive to Auckland North.)

Any suggest to add or modify the route? Any scenic route I should take or attractions on the way I should check out?

Thanks in advance!!

We are spending 9 nights on the North Island pre-cruise and I've done lots of research.

If I were you I would stay all 4 nights in Auckland, keep your plan for day 1, head to the Waitomo Caves and return to Auckland on Day 2. On day 3 drive to the Coromandel peninsula with a visit to http://www.drivingcreekrailway.co.nz/Index.cfm being a highlight. Return the rental car that night. For embarkation day, have the hotel store your bags until you depart by taxi to the cruise terminal.

For your visit to Hobbiton and a sheep-shearing demo, wait to do this via a ship or private excursion from Rotorua!

Please join your sailing"s roll call so that you can learn what your fellow cruisers have planned and possibly join them for private tours they've arranged. Here is the link to your roll call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2028569

Good Luck with your planning and how nice to be traveling with your parents!