Rough seas out of New York???

crazy4cruizing

I have lived in Connecticut my whole life. I have been on three cruises so far..Alaska, Bermuda (out of Bayonne, NJ) and the Panama Canal. From what I have been told, Atlantic waters, even in the prime summer season, are the worst (choppiest) waters to travel in. I have been told this by the captain of a ship, and also my friend/travel agent who is a VERY EXPERIENCED world traveler. As a matter of fact, she does not even recommend sailing out of a New England port in the winter or early spring months. Now...having said that, our trip to Bermuda on RCCL Empress of the Sea, which is a smaller ship by today's standards, was fine for me...and I am somewhat suseptible to seasickness. We left 2 years ago on Memorial weekend. Had to dress in long (lightweight) pants and light jackets when leaving, but woke up to glorious warm sunshine and the bluest of waters. We did hit a storm on the last day at sea, with about 12 foot swells (and also saw a water-spout ...tornado!) but one Dramamine did the trick for me. So keep in mind that it is not only the rougher waters you need to think about, but depending on WHEN you plan to go, the weather may not be great for the outdoors on your day or day and a half of departure and also on your return trip.

From what I understand, Alaska and the Inside Passage, which is the trip we took for our honeymoon three years ago, is typically a calm, easy trip. We had a night of storms in September and had 18-20 foot swells which basically ruined an evening for us. Apparently, NOT TYPICAL for that voyage.

So, I guess the point is that yes, Atlantic waters tend to be choppier, wavier, but we didn't experience much of that ...took what should have been an easy, calm trip and couldn't leave our room for a night due to the rough seas!! Go figure! Weather is often unpredictable and that is part of travel. I would not HESITATE to travel out of a NY or NJ port again -- certainly wouldn't do it in the winter, but anytime after end of May, I think would be fine. Pack some Dramamine, and know that even if the weather is bad, or the waters rough, it will probably only be for an evening or a day.

Good luck with your decision, and have a wonderful voyage, wherever you travel! :)

The name Pacific is a misnomer. The North Atlantic is rougher in the winter than the South Atlantic. There is more beach erosion in the winter caused by wave actions. Any time of year Cape Hatterous is rough but the rest of the Atlantic is like any body of water sometimes calm sometimes not. I have had terrible sea conditions out of Miami...

Most certainly, yes, you can have rough sailing - anywhere. :) If concerned about motion sickness, take precautions.

For clairfication, it is a myth that Alaska is smoother sailing, it is not, can encounter rough sailing there too. Usual areas outside Vancouver Island on the round trip Seattle sailings and across the Gulf on the one ways.

Archived