Never too old!

Musicus

I'm freshly back from my little 5 day Carnival cruise and getting caught up, I'll be sure to get Egon a card as well. I'm glad to hear he's doing okay! Have a great weekend, everyone!

(Pat, how's your Steve doing?)

Hi Karen...Glad you're back. Hope you enjoyed your cruise. Egon will appreciate that card and I am hoping that all will follow suit like you and start sending more and more to perk his spirits. He had his cystoscopy yesterday and is taking one day at a time. He moves into his new home, Marina Point Village, this Sunday.

As for Steve, they had a fund raiser for him 10/14 and had a fantastic turnout. He has decided he will talk about the importance of wearing helmets as it definitely helped to save his life. He is back home, not driving yet. He decided to move home with his parents for the time being.

I have included a pic of Steve doing one of his favorite things....spending time with Peyton, his only niece. He also started dating 2 weeks before his accident and the doctors told Mary that if she wanted out to do it then. She has stuck by him and they are still going strong.

311492_3713202320562_1810365214_n.jpg

Edited by yellowbird23

I have to to roost! After I had to cut short my one-and-a-half years cruising in Southampton and fly back to Canada to my son, Steve, who saw me through the stroke I had on July 24 and subsequent bladder operation to remove a large tumor, for 4 months he and friend, Joyce, looked after my welfare constantly and I cannot thank Steve enough. They both take turns with cuddling and loving Steve's dog, Brandy, instead of each other! Luckily the stroke "only" affected speech and memory but not an arm or leg, so that I was able to function making my own breakfast and lunch, looking after myself and went daily for short walks, which I forced myself to do, as my walking has somewhat been impacted and I suffer from a chronic backache.

Getting accepted at Marina Point took a lot of signatures, both legal matter, as well as operational; also required were pneumonia, as well as flu shots, and a TB test, which meant a lot of running around for Steve, since everything seems to be the other end of town, and I needed him to talk for me. In between, I had speech therapy at the hospital, another trip for several kilometers.

We met the son of the former occupant whom we had told of our interest in possibly buyingsome furniture from him, and I am very glad with my purchase. I had scoured Kijjiji for both a TV (33" tube type) for $30 and it works perfectly, as well as a nice microwave for $40. Steve was able to supply all missing furniture, dishes, cutlery, coffee machine and toaster and went out of his way to think of anything else I might need.

On the 15th, Steve brought all the luggage I had been packing previously, on the 17th and 18th more stuff and on the 19th there was the big move. Joyce's brother-in-law, together with a friend, was able to load everything in his pickup and the rest of the things Steve took in his car (the nice Buick inherited from me). As luck would have it, it was a sunny day with mild temperatures and the three accomplished the move without mishap and in record time.

I have a 750 sq ft 1-bedroom apartment, a large living and dining area, a full kitchen and a balcony with a view over lake Nipissing (you should pardon the expression) and with stunning sunsets because we face West. I shall attach some photos. Of course, I have heat and air conditioning, which is controlled by me, and plenty of hot water. The fixtures are of the superior kind. There are plenty of electrical outlets and three internet connections. I prepare Breakfast and Lunch myself, but most of the time will go down to dinner, which is served in a pleasant surrounding and a simmering of elegance. I had only dinner there twice, and was not disappointed.

Well, that is the news today. I am planning on staying here for 5 or 6 six months, and then will decide. A lot can happen in the meantime.

To all my loyal followers and supporters, thank you, thank you!

I send my love and best wishes to all!

Egon

My address: Marina Point

225 Oak Street W.

North Bay ON P1B 0A9

Canada

I just talked to Steve on the phone and he said that cards or best wishes, Christmas, New Year cards can now be sent to him at his new home. This will get him up and out to go see what surprises are in his mail.

Please, if you can, drop him a line at the following address. I am very sure he will be looking forward to them very much. He so deserves them!!:)

Marina Point

225 Oak Street W.

North Bay ON P1B 0A9

Canada

I'm always happy to post Egon's picture. It looks like he's got a nice place to finish his recovery.

Glad to see you are here Doug! Yes, it does look nice for him. I spoke to Steve and he said his Dad is just (for now) planning to stay there for 4-5 months. If I remember correctly, Egon has it in the back of his head that he wants to do a transAtlantic in April to Kiev. I still think he would love to go to Switzerland to live with relatives. This is a never ending story. Stay tuned folks!

Glad to see you are here Doug! [\quote]

Oh yeah, I'm always reading along, I'm just not normally a real chatty type. :)

I admire the way Egon is always looking forward, hoping for something new and exciting.

I hope these holidays are good to him and everyone else here.

Hi Pat and belated Happy Thanksgiving! I just returned from a TA from Barcelona to Florida with a few days spent at each end. I had a lot of catching up to do here! Glad to hear Egon is settled in a place of his own and to see the pics. I will get a card off to him today.

Gail

Hi Pat and belated Happy Thanksgiving! I just returned from a TA from Barcelona to Florida with a few days spent at each end. I had a lot of catching up to do here! Glad to hear Egon is settled in a place of his own and to see the pics. I will get a card off to him today.

Gail

Welcome back Gail! How was the cruise? Are you going to do a review? If you do, please indicate what you did on those sea days.

You know the old saying, "what goes 'round, comes 'round"? Well, today I stuffed the turkey and what do you know! It turned around and then stuffed me!:D

Too, two, to, tutu, 2 funny!

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

Egon is lucky to have such nice views from his new apartment. Even though he is not at sea, he still has views of a large body of water.

Hi Pat,

I am not doing a review of the cruise. I spent time on the sea days going to the lectures (both speakers were very good), playing bridge and trivia, reading and just generally relaxing. I was on the Liberty of the Seas. I found the crew and staff great, the food was mediocre and the ship in great condition. The shows were excellent.

Gail

• 2 weeks later...

I have been here less a two weeks and I am comfortable in my apartment. It is on the top (4th) floor, close to the elevator, the laundry and the recycling/garbage rooms - an ideal location since the other apartments are much further away to the end of a long corridor. On Mondays two cleaning ladies do their thing and they are pretty thorough.

There is a talking information center which gives you menus for the day as well as daily activities (It has also a volume control). The same panel has also a bright red panic button, which I accidentally touched while groping in the night for the light switch - It worked! Two ladies appeared shortly to the startled me in pajamas. Of course they wouldn't stay to sing me a lullaby!

The food is very good. I have dinner there, and there are always two choices. Breakfast and Lunch I prepare in the apartment. But it's at 5pm sharp which forces me to have my happy hour at 4.30 - kind of crimps my style. Since I have a apartment I have the sign for the meals - as opposed to the majority of people who take all the meals there. I share the table with two fellows, one does mostly talk to himself, and the other is kind of a busy body and knows a lot of what is going on. He says, there at 92 people at the dinner table there, 62 of them with walkers or electrical chairs. He also once told me that some ladies where upset because the only time I have used the Scooter so far, I drove it too fast - that they can even forbid its use - he is, as I said, a busy body. Looking around I try to detect people with animation and hopefully beautiful faces, but I come away with a feeling that there are many worse off than I am.

I have taken to playing the piano of dinner for a little while, and those they know it, gather around appreciatively. But I am experiencing a deficit in playing, some times I can't remember the beginning, the middle or the end of a tune -I doubt that the listeners notice as I am pretty good at "faking". But I do hope that the memory comes back in time, as also my lack of speech which prevent me of making acquaintances.

On the health matters, it is my back that gives me a lot of trouble. I am slated to have a bone scan Dec 10 to ascertain what is wrong. And I have an appointment with two doctors at The Cancer Clinic in Sudbury which is some 70M from North Bay. I write about these in my next report.

I am still taking speech therapy every two weeks. The town has a "Para-Bus" which takes me to the hospital pretty far away, for less than it would cost to drive; but you have to order it two days ahead which limits its usefulness. I am acutely aware (and hate) of this dependency because Steve has always to take me otherwise and often speaks for me. I am really sorry to add to the workload he has with his business. He never complains. But my life would be dismal without the help he gives me.

Edited by yellowbird23