Mazatlan

J&KCruisers

Just back from a 7 day on the Crown Princess with a stop in Mazatlan after the boycott.

We toured the old town in a Pulmonia and it was just beautiful. Very clean and the people were absolutely awesome. We felt totally safe (more than our stop in Hollywood)!

We then went to Stone Island and stayed at Lety's. The food and hospitality was amazing. Lety's family still runs the place and the food quality was there. Shrimp and grilled fish were delicious, cold beer and kindness abound.

I am convinced that the best port day on any cruise is a stop in Mazatlan and sitting on the beach on Stone Island.

Happy Cruising:D:D

Glad to hear that you had a great time!

I *LOVE* riding in the Pulmonias! It's such a great way to see the city and all of the sights. Mazatlan has always been one of my favorite ports of call--so much to see and do there, and such friendly people. Can't wait to do it again soon! :D

Hi, 2 of us will sail the Carnival Miracle in May, Please tell me how to get to Pulmonia, is there any tour that I can find when the ship docked? Thanks

Walk out the In Gate, try for $20 per hour

below is a pulmonia (Mazatlan Taxi)

foto-pulmonia.jpg

Most of the drivers of the Pulmonia's are older gentlemen who will give you a wonderful tour. Ask to go to the market downtown or to a bakery to get some fresh baked sweet bread.

For $20-30 you will get a wonderful view of Mazatlan and an experience you will really enjoy as part of your vacation.

The past 5 years has been really tough on the Mazatlan tourism when the cruise ships backed out. They are making a come back and it is nice to see.

Old Mazatlan is a very charming area and Stone Island is a real treat. Nowhere in the U.S. can you find restaurants where you sit on the beach, literally feet from the water enjoying beer and food the way you do on Stone Island.

The entire day will be the best/most relaxing day on your cruise!

Just back from a 7 day on the Crown Princess with a stop in Mazatlan after the boycott.

We toured the old town in a Pulmonia and it was just beautiful. Very clean and the people were absolutely awesome. We felt totally safe (more than our stop in Hollywood)!

We then went to Stone Island and stayed at Lety's. The food and hospitality was amazing. Lety's family still runs the place and the food quality was there. Shrimp and grilled fish were delicious, cold beer and kindness abound.

I am convinced that the best port day on any cruise is a stop in Mazatlan and sitting on the beach on Stone Island.

We love Stone Island..been going there for 20 years. Had a lot of great food & drink at Lety's and next door at Victor's.

Speaking of Pulmonias...about 15 years ago the taxi's drivers were on strike...sooo we had to take a pulmonia...to the airport. Going down the highway at 60mph..with luggage bouncing in the back..and our hair looking like we had been electrocuted :eek:...we finally & safely arrived at the airport. We still laugh about it. Love Mazatlan!

Glad to hear you had a good experience.

Wife and I loved the port on our honeymoon. Had some family friends who had lived in Mazatlan so they had given us some good ideas of what to do there. I am glad to hear things may be getting back to "business as usual".

Thank you for sharing your day in Mazatlan. I haven't been there since 2010 since my 2011 Mexican Riviera cruise did not include Mazatlan. I'm ready to go back!

I love your comment about Hollywood. 3 of my friends and I rode the train from Orange County to Hollywood. We had a great time but there was definitely some areas and people that did not seem safe.:eek::eek::eek:

We were in Mazatlan just last week and the day was very enjoyable. We kept it low key strolling along the blue line and chatting with the blue shirt expats all along the way. The local police were also helpful and friendly. We walked to the cathedral, the market and shops and had lunch at the central square before making the leisurely stroll back to the ship. We would return to visit in a heartbeat. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from our Carnival cruise. In Mazatlan, a Pulmonia driver inside the port gate wanted $8 to drive us to the Central Market. Wouldn't come down in price. Walked outside and a taxi driver said $5. Ending up walking back to the port following the Blue Line.

When following the Blue Line between the ship and the Plaza Machado, please walk on the sidewalks and not in the street on the Blue Line. We saw many people doing this and them getting out of the way of cars driving on the street.

There is a Hop-On, Hop-Off bus that goes to the Church, Gold Zone and the Cliff Divers for $25. It is offered on the ship, not thru the excursion desk, but was on the Lido deck signing up people.

Unfortunately, the taxi drivers aren't too happy with the HOHO buses, as they blocked the later buses leaving the port. Heard from people who were already in the city that the HOHO buses were just picking up people and taking them back to the port and not going around the city.

How is the walk from the Port to the Stone Island ferry, and then over to somewhere like Lety's?

It looks like it is not far at all, and we'll be 10-12 total, but one is our 90 year old (spry) grandmother.

Would taxi van operators be very interested in such a short trip?

gary

How is the walk from the Port to the Stone Island ferry, and then over to somewhere like Lety's?

It looks like it is not far at all, and we'll be 10-12 total, but one is our 90 year old (spry) grandmother.

gary

It's a 10 minute walk to the ferry (sidewalk, then down a dirt/gravel road to dock) and about a ten minute walk down the beach. Getting grandma in and out of the water taxi might be a task. No ramp or gang-way for the boat, it is bobbing up and down next to the dock.

gary

We have always seen a couple of vehicles near the dock on Stone Island and they will take people to Lety's for a dollar or two per person.

The walk down the beach is pretty easy and the sand near the water is firm so it makes easier walking.

I would estimate the walk from the cruise terminal to the water taxi is equivalent to about five or six city blocks. Some of the pulmonia drivers outside the gate will take you down there, but I don't know what they would charge. My guess would be four or five dollars for the ride and they can take four people. Same situation coming back if a pulmonia is there when you get off the water taxi.

Edited by swedish weave

• 4 months later...
Most of the drivers of the Pulmonia's are older gentlemen who will give you a wonderful tour. Ask to go to the market downtown or to a bakery to get some fresh baked sweet bread.

For $20-30 you will get a wonderful view of Mazatlan and an experience you will really enjoy as part of your vacation.

The past 5 years has been really tough on the Mazatlan tourism when the cruise ships backed out. They are making a come back and it is nice to see.

Old Mazatlan is a very charming area and Stone Island is a real treat. Nowhere in the U.S. can you find restaurants where you sit on the beach, literally feet from the water enjoying beer and food the way you do on Stone Island.

The entire day will be the best/most relaxing day on your cruise!

Sorry, I know I'm dragging up an old thread :)

Will be in Maz in Nov... would like to take a pulmonia to the cathedral and then the water taxi over to Stone Island. I'm "assuming" this is doable but really no idea where the water taxi picks up at? :cool:

Sorry, I know I'm dragging up an old thread :)

Will be in Maz in Nov... would like to take a pulmonia to the cathedral and then the water taxi over to Stone Island. I'm "assuming" this is doable but really no idea where the water taxi picks up at? :cool:

The water taxi terminal is about four blocks from the cruise terminal. The ship passes it when it goes up the channel to dock.

The water taxi takes you across that channel to a dock on Stone Island.

After visiting the cathedral, you can ask the pulmonia driver to drop you off at the water taxi terminal instead of the cruise terminal.

It is always cheaper to get a pulmonia out on the street ask them to give you a tour of their city always agree on a price before you get in. You can get a taxi anytime but this is an experience to remember. If you are down town at the Cathedral look up at the windows and you will see the Star of David in them.