"Semi-Live" Aboard the Celebrity Infinity - Panama Canal Nov 21 - Dec 5, 2010 W/Pics

sayvan

Thanks for doing this review! It is almost like an extension of the cruise! It must be hard for you guys to be back home and know that your friends are still travelling and will be on their next cruise very soon again.;)

Ahh yes... those crazy Aussies are still at it... we came home and were blasted with over 30 cm of snow... About 45 minutes west from us they received close to 100 cm of snow... for our American friends that would be 30 cm = 11.81 inches and 100cm = 39.37 inches!

Hello. Can you confirm whether the aft balconies on Infinity Deck 9 have the "awnings" that provide some privacy from those looking down from Deck 10 above - specifically cabin 9201's balcony? I've been on Millenium and Summit and have seen these "awnings."

Edited by cruiser9983

Hello. Can you confirm whether the aft balconies on Infinity Deck 9 have the "awnings" that provide some privacy from those looking down from Deck 10 above - specifically cabin 9201's balcony? I've been on Millenium and Summit and have seen these "awnings."

Yes... I did see the awnings... I think I may have a picture and will post later looking down from the oceanview grill patio. I am still sorting through over 2400 pictures i took.... :eek:

I did not take a picture - but they are there. Some are in need of re-stringing, and there is a small rust hole in 9201's second awning frame (upper) to the port side (numerous paint overs!). You can't see down to 9201 from the aft end of the Oceanview cafe (Deck 10), but you have a pretty good view of a portion of the other stern cabin balconies from 9201 ... ;)

After checking our room out we headed for the dreaded lifeboat drill. I have to admit that I am very glad they don't make us go out on deck anymore and stand while the drill takes place. For this cruise, we headed for the Celebrity Theater to watch the drill.

P1040644-1.jpg

After this, we met our friends in the Constellation Lounge for the sail away. Of course, it was dark and you could not really see that much however on this night, the moon lit up the sky.

P1040649-1.jpg

Here we are enjoying a few more drinks and watching the journey begin as we set sail for Cabo San Lucas.

P1040651-1.jpg

After sail away, we decided to go and see the Welcome Aboard show at 7 pm. We had the 8:30 dinner seating so we had the time to see this. Once again, I must mention that I was very impressed with the shows on the Infinity. The entertainment team did a great job. The opening show was an introduction of things to come. Tonight's show featured the Celebrity Orchestra, Adage artists Charlie and Viola, who did some amazing acrobats, The Acappella Group On Tap, and the Infinity production cast. This was a very exciting and faced pace show. It really did set the stage for things to come. Here are a few pictures from that show.

P1040657-1.jpg

P1040662-1.jpg

P1040661-1.jpg

How'd you get the pics of the performances as I thought you weren't supposed to take pictures at the venue?

Don

How'd you get the pics of the performances as I thought you weren't supposed to take pictures at the venue?

Don

Well...... ;).

Actually it was only the Caberet shows where they announced to refrain from video...

Don

You can take still photographs of production shows as long as you don't use flash and you don't take videos.

Edited by emileg

the thing I haven nightmares about, wake up in cold sweats and dread is that hair dryer hanging in the bathroom :eek:

If you have a concierge class or above cabin, a real hair dryer will be provided in your cabin. If not, bring your own. The one in the bathroom gets too hot to handle and doesn't do much drying. Simple solution, no more nightmares!

If you have a concierge class or above cabin, a real hair dryer will be provided in your cabin. If not, bring your own. The one in the bathroom gets too hot to handle and doesn't do much drying. Simple solution, no more nightmares!

Not so on the Infinity. We had a suite and still had the horrible hair dryer. I have super thick hair and it worked fine but it sure does get hot to hold. Not sure they'll let you bring your own anymore due to worries about fires.

Thank you for this wonderful review and high quality pictures. The ship looks in pretty good shape. We are sailing on the Infinity in January.

I personally found the ship to be in great shape and as you will see from the pictures (I will post of almost every area) I saw nothing that indicated she was worn... I was also concerned about what I had read prior....

enjoying the review. Looking forward to our faraway trip.

the thing I haven nightmares about, wake up in cold sweats and dread is that hair dryer hanging in the bathroom :eek:

No need for nightmares... I mean... the dryer did get hot but if you wrap a small hand towel around it you don't feel a thing:D! My DW had no issues with it and I think her hair looks great!

First off sorry for taking so long to get to the next part of my review... i just hate it when life and responsibilities get in the way of my cruise critic time....

Today was our first Port day... The first of 6 stops along the way. My day started as usual with visit to the oceanview café and some breakfast. One thing I loved about the Oceanview Café is that no matter where you sat.. you really did have a great view of the water. There are some sections that are 'rounded' out and if your lucky enough to get one of these spots the views are fabulous. There are also windows in the floor that look directly down at the ocean passing by.

We were not scheduled to arrive in Cabo until 10 am. Cabo is a tender port. It's a tiny rustic and remote fishing village that seemed to be growing very nicely. The coast line of Cabo San Lucas is beautiful and is great for snorkeling, whale watching and various water activities. On this day we would enjoy a little of it all.

After breakfast we freshened up a bit and then headed to Deck 11 to enjoy the excitement of sailing into our first port. The scenery was stunning and left you with a feeling of awe. Of course, Cabo is very well known for the area at "Lands End" with its famous natural "El Arco de Cabo San Lucas".

Heading into Cabo:

P1040742.jpg

P1040743.jpg

P1040746.jpg

P1040747.jpg

El Arco

P1040750.jpg

P1040752.jpg

More to come.....

A few more shots from the sail into port:

P1040754.jpg

Lovers beach: Water on both sides of this beautiful spot. The far side was the Pacific Ocean and the close side is the Sea of Cortez

P1040762.jpg

DW Vanda with Craig on Deck 11:

P1040758.jpg

Getting ready to go ashore:

P1040763.jpg

Cabo Harbour

P1040766.jpg

Not so on the Infinity. We had a suite and still had the horrible hair dryer. I have super thick hair and it worked fine but it sure does get hot to hold. Not sure they'll let you bring your own anymore due to worries about fires.

Yes, the horrible hairdryer is still there. They're attached to the wall in the bathroom, they're not going anywhere. But there is another hair dryer, either in the room or in the bathroom. If yours wasn't there, it only required a request to the cabin attendant. I would never attempt to dry my hair with that thing in the bathroom. It burns your hand. And there is no issue with bringing your own hairdryer if you wish.

As the ship coasted into the bay we were able to see the Arch from all angles. I personally found this very exciting and an epic photo opportunity. Once the ship was in position we were all cleared to head onto shore.

We then headed down to the Celebrity Theater where we would receive our tender tickets. We did not have a ship excursion planned for this port. Our plan for the day was to take a water taxi for a little bit and then spend some time at Lovers Beach before exploring this quint little fishing village. The tender process was excellent. We arrived in the Theater and were given a ticket tender for group 4. The tender ride into shore was approx. 20 minutes. All in all, we were on shore by 10:30. I found the tender process to be very efficient.

Once on shore, we started the search for a water taxi. There were vendors and people trying to sell you tours all over. Some aggressive but most would leave you alone once you politely told them no.

When we finally reached the taxi we wanted we did a deal for $15 each and the driver would take us out for a water tour and then drop us at Lovers beach for as long as we wanted. The water taxi had a glass bottom running up the middle and you could see many colorful fish as we cruised around towards lands end. The tour lasted about an hour and we saw an abundance of wildlife. The area is filled with Sea Lions, Pelicans and we were lucky enough to see 3 or 4 whales.

P1040780.jpg

P1040783.jpg

heading towards Lands End:

P1040789.jpg

P1040793.jpg

P1040806.jpg

Our Home for 14 days:

P1040813.jpg

After the tour around on the water we headed for Lovers Beach. As I said earlier, Lovers beach is a patch of land near lands end with a beautiful hidden cove that is surrounded by water on both sides. The only way to this beach is via water taxi. The taxi takes you in as close as possible and then you have to jump out of the boat and walk for about 5-10 feet in the water (shallow) onto the beach. I should warn folks at this point to be prepared to be immediately bombarded by the local amigos looking to carry your belongings, help you out of the boat and of course holding their hat out for a contribution to the family fund. We were prepared for this so all was not that bad really. You may also want to bring some food or drink with you as not much was available once on the beach. There were some amigos selling water and beer but I don't recall much food being available.

Just before we landed on the beach, I noticed a great reflection of the area in Vanda's sunglasses so I quickly snapped these pics:

P1040815.jpg

P1040816.jpg

Shot of the Infinity from the Beach:

P1040828.jpg

P1040830.jpg

Lovers beach:

P1040831.jpg

P1040837.jpg