Recent cruise aboard Le Boreal

sailoruk

Have recently returned from a short cruise sailing from London - Tower Bridge to Copenhagen through the Kiel Canal.

The info we received from Ponant re embarkation started us off on a wrong footing - giving us incorrect info re boarding. Suffice to say we overcame that but made us look out for anything else that would be wrong.

Our booking through a local agent was extremely smooth - and we looked forward to sailing with this particular line for the first time.

Once we had boarded the ship, we found the crew and officers alike extremely friendly and helpful.

The cabin was on deck 3 forward which suited us, at least we got a bit of a walk going for meals or up to the lounges etc. A good sized cabin with a king size bed (two twins pushed together no doubt.) but comfortable. Ample storage space around. and our cases fitted under the bed with no problem. The bathroom is on the small side but a good size shower and then the toilet is separate - which is good. All with the usual complimentary soaps, etc. Bathrobes and slippers for use which is good less to pack . Balcony was a good size with two chairs and a table. Another plus was the good size of the safe . Constructive criticism to sit in front of the mirror - one couldn't get past. Complimentary bottled water, which was given continuously.

Loved the layout of the ship with a lift forward or aft if needed and found her "beautiful"

Had a couple of dinners in the main dining room (silver service) and must point out that the Maître D'hôtel put English speaking with English speaking etc. but we preferred eating up in the buffet. Liked the big windows to look out.

A good selection for Breakfast. Lunch was also served in both venues, but then again we ate in the buffet on deck 6, and occasionally sat out by the pool - glorious.

Afternoon Tea/Coffee served in the lounge with mini cakes and snacks.

Was a tad disappointed with the food. thought we were going to have a very good gastronomic experience.

Yes, the breads, cakes, desserts, pastries etc. were wonderful . Good choice of various salads etc., but the main course - mediocre.

Our main reason for doing this cruise was to sail through the Kiel Canal on a small ship. Wonderful.

We knew it was a French speaking ship and announcements were given first in French and then English, but definitely more was said in French than English!!

We did one ship tour - something we don't normally do but as we had on-board credit, wanted to use it up. Do feel tho, ships tours are a rip off, but that is on any ship anywhere in the world.

We were very lucky to have had the most amazing weather.

Would we sail with this company again,? they must sort out their information re embarkation - a major failure. Mores the pity as it is a beautiful ship.

Thanks for the review. Would love more details in the embarkation issues. Considering this line for a future cruise.

Hi

the info we had read HMS Belfast Tower Bridge. We were dropped off by our taxi/cab and went down to that point only to be told, you have to be on the other side of the river (you could see it ) i.e. Tower Millennium Pier. At that point our taxi had departed and as we were a bit early, decided in our wisdom!! to walk to Tower Bridge to get to the other side , unfortunately once we got to the Bridge, there is a staircase going up to it, we started walking up, had to stop half way to catch our breath - even tho our cases have wheels - luckily for us two very nice young gentlemen saw our plight and in two ticks carried our cases up. We walked across the bridge taking our time, and then managed to go down the other side, cases going bump bump down the steps :p we walked along the cobbles and eventually found the pier , it is where people go on short river rides etc. We complained to the lady who looked at our ticket/passports, and she said "so sorry". We were then shuttled on a small boat back to HMS Belfast where Le Boreal was moored next to. Our luggage was taken from us before we got on the shuttle (i.e. small boat)at that point, and must say, once we boarded we were shown to our cabin, we had a look around it, then went straight to the lounge for Tea/Coffee, and once back to our cabin our luggage was there.

If they had only put on the documentation "Millenium Pier" I would have no hesitation in giving them 5* plus - as I had written earlier, we weren't the only ones who had this problem.

Anything else you would like to know, will try and give info about

Paying for a ship's tour? On a luxury ship? Have not heard of this before!

Other than river and expedition cruises, I'm not aware of any luxury ship that includes all ship tours, and most include a select few per port or none.

I think TC2's tongue was in her cheek. Regent includes shore excursions (but not the really good ones which cost extra.) I say "includes" but I really mean overcharges to include them.

The only time shore excursions have been included for us have been on River Cruises - anyway we normally like to do our own thing going ashore.

But even then I still think ship excursions are a rip off - but then that is my humble opinion :p

That is why I will never sail on Regent as long as they have this "excursions included" policy which costs a lot extra and which I would never use as I prefer private tours or doing my own thing. The idea of getting on a bus with thirty or forty other people on a luxury line is a total anachronism.

The main pricing/inclusion issue I have at present with Compagnie du Ponant is the drinks are not included in the price (outside of meal times).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but drinks are included with your meals, but are charged outside of meal times. For a presitge/premium cruise line, I find this a bit more dissapointing than the shore excursions. It's a feature I like on other premium lines. Not sure why CDP chose differently..? Still looking forward to my adventure in December though...

The main pricing/inclusion issue I have at present with Compagnie du Ponant is the drinks are not included in the price (outside of meal times).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but drinks are included with your meals, but are charged outside of meal times. For a presitge/premium cruise line, I find this a bit more dissapointing than the shore excursions. It's a feature I like on other premium lines. Not sure why CDP chose differently..? Still looking forward to my adventure in December though...

You are correct, wine was included with both lunch and dinner - there was always a choice of either a Red, White or Rose.

do agree that drinks could/should be included but did find the prices quite good. Tea & Coffee (not specialities) were always available from the bar - we were not told that but had to find out for ourselves :(

I really misinterpreted the post. Somehow I thought that "ship tour" meant a tour of the ship they were sailing on rather than an excursion or tour off of the ship. My mistake. Actually, I do not like included excursions (aka tours) and prefer to book our own excursions using private vendors.

Thank you for the write-up -- it is definitely interesting and sounds like you had a wonderful time.

I really misinterpreted the post. Somehow I thought that "ship tour" meant a tour of the ship they were sailing on rather than an excursion or tour off of the ship. My mistake. Actually, I do not like included excursions (aka tours) and prefer to book our own excursions using private vendors.

Thank you for the write-up -- it is definitely interesting and sounds like you had a wonderful time.

writing about tour of the ship - that did make me smile ;) and reminded me - something I forgot to mention - was that they have an open Bridge policy - anytime night or day!!!! Whilst sailing thru the Kiel Canal did go onto the Bridge, the "Pilots" of the Canal were doing their thing:)

• 3 weeks later...