Clothing guidelines for RC

tena1234

I have been on several Carnival cruises and this will be my first on RC. However, I've been on the website and clothing states a lot of dresses for the ladies and I'm wondering if that is correct. Usually on Carnival we could wear capris to the dinning room. Can anyone tell me what most cruisers are wearing on the ship at night. Thank you.

With some exceptions, you will not see capri pants in the dining room. Ladies normally wear nice slacks/blouse combinations or dresses. Men normally wear slacks and dress shirts. Unless it is formal night, assume "country club" attire to be what is the norm. On formal nights you see mostly suits on the men. Some will wear a tux and you see some military dress uniforms. Women will be in either long dresses or gowns.

At least the above has been true on our two RCI cruises.

I have been on several Carnival cruises and this will be my first on RC. However, I've been on the website and clothing states a lot of dresses for the ladies and I'm wondering if that is correct. Usually on Carnival we could wear capris to the dinning room. Can anyone tell me what most cruisers are wearing on the ship at night. Thank you.

I wear capris in the dining room unless it is a formal night, it is perfectly acceptable. I also take a pair of dress slacks, skirts and dresses. Even on the formal nights, you will see less than formal attire.

Enjoy your first RCI cruise!!! :D

With some exceptions, you will not see capri pants in the dining room. Ladies normally wear nice slacks/blouse combinations or dresses.... Women will be in either long dresses or gowns....

I have to say I am a bit puzzled about these comments. I absolutely have and will continue to wear capris to dinner on RCI ships (not Formal Night but definitely other nights). "Women will be in either long dresses or gowns"? Wow. So not true, sorry. Long dresses and gowns are the exception, not the rule - very few women wear them. Any woman who chose to wear one would not be out of place, but to give someone the impression that they are regularly worn is not correct.

Actually, on casual nights, capris will be in the MAJORITY for most women on warm weather cruises! On formal nights, you'll see a bit of everything, with suits/cocktail dresses being in the majority. Tuxes and gowns, too.....and "Sunday Best"...and then other stuff that is NOT "formal", but will be allowed!

The only thing that is rare and quite frowned upon is shorts AT DINNER. During the day, shorts and flip-flops are fine in the dining room.

RCCL does NOT have a mandatory dress code. It's just a "Suggested Guideline" and states so on RCCL's website. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334

There will always be the self appointed fashion police that will say that something can't be worn. There is always a wide variety of dress during the evenings. Every cruise I've ever taken, there has always been woman wearing capris on any given night regardless if the suggested guideline was casual, smart casual or even formal. So wear the Capris is you choose.

I don't think there's much discrepancy between the two lines. Capris on casual nights, especially the first and last nights, are perfectly acceptable.

Formal or Elegant, there is much more of a wide interpretation from ladies in black slacks and a blouse with sparkle to the rare ball gown. The majority are in cocktail dresses any longer. Men are more prone to jacket and tie, not many tuxedos any longer. You even see shirtsleeves, no tie or jacket interpreted as formal.

I've done it all and the last 3 cruises have happily ditched the formal night altogether, dressed in country club casual and have gone to the specialty restaurants…loved it :)

For nicer over all answers, go to the Fashion and Beauty Board here on CC. You will see lots of discussions and some ladies share photos of what they wear on cruises. It's a good place.

Capris arevery acceptable for the casual and smart casual nights. Sundresses, skirts pants are also acceptable for either night. I've worn black slinky slacks with a very dressy top, or black sparkly top, or long skirt that i also wore dressed down erlier that week. The key is to be able to dress up and down 1 or 2 outfits. Just don't worry about it. Dh and i sat and watched the first seating of guests and what they wore. We decided that if everyone was so dressed up that we would feel uncomfortable, we would have room service and simple be clothing optional. Hehehe