Hop On Hop Off Bus Messina

CSIMelissa

• 2 weeks later...

Messina is not a great tourist city, but it does have a very interesting Cathedral with an amazing clock. Most of the tourist area (and shopping area) within Messina is within walking distance of the cruise ship pier, assuming you are capable of walking a mile.

Hank

• 1 year later...
Messina is not a great tourist city, but it does have a very interesting Cathedral with an amazing clock. Most of the tourist area (and shopping area) within Messina is within walking distance of the cruise ship pier, assuming you are capable of walking a mile.

Hank

Can you tell me if the streets are paved or cobblestone. My husband uses an electric scooter and cannot do cobblestone

Thanks

Most of Messina is paved with real concrete sidewalks. Your hubby should be fine although he might have to do some minor detours. We have always wondered how far those scooters can go in a day, and that might be more of an issue if you want to go far from the ship. Personally, we think those scooters are terrific and they seem to allow lots of folks with walking problems to better enjoy their trips.

Hank

Most of the HoHo buses $25 and $35 per person for a ticket (usually good for 24 hours). But, I would again warn you that Messina is not a particularly great tourist city. We think that best option for this port is to go to Taormina. I am thinking that a scooter might work in Taormina, although we would have some concern about getting from the normal tour drop-off place up the slope to the city entrance. Taormina consists of primarily two streets and a decent scooter should have the range (if it can handle more then a mile). You might want to ask about Taormina on the Disabled Cruising Board here on CC. You could also contact your cruise line (via e-mail or phone) and ask them about whether you can take a scooter on their Taormina excursion. Other folks might suggest that a wheelchair is a better option, but we do not have the experience to make that recommendation.

Hank

Archived