okay i am ready for my lynching but need to ask

sassafrass

I have not cruised in ten years Back then we had a set dining time and sat with the same people every night. None of this flexible stuff. LOL. We picked flexible times this cruise. What does it mean? You just go whenever and they squeeze you in with 6 new strangers every night wherever you fit. My husband doesn't understand the cruise dining that you do not get a table for two LOL. I am trying to explain it but I am not sure how it works anymore either.

I have not cruised in ten years Back then we had a set dining time and sat with the same people every night. None of this flexible stuff. LOL. We picked flexible times this cruise. What does it mean? You just go whenever and they squeeze you in with 6 new strangers every night wherever you fit. My husband doesn't understand the cruise dining that you do not get a table for two LOL. I am trying to explain it but I am not sure how it works anymore either.

Which ship are you sailing on?

We have had the open dining on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. It is great and we really prefer it. Come and go as you please, no waiting for a group to show up. Most of the time we were able to get a table for two, a couple of times we were given the option of waiting a few min. for a table or eating with a small group.

Flexible dining works just like dining on land. You go in, give the host the # of people in your party & you are seated with your group when they have a table for you. You can ask for a table to share & they will seat you with others. Otherwise if it's just you & DH, you get a table for 2. They have lots of those now, unlike the "old" days when they had big tables for 6+

I meant to add what you asked is a perfectly reasonable question and no reason to expect a lynching. :D This is the reason for forums such as CC. :)

Have a great cruise.

C'mon, people who ask reasonable questions get lynched around here all the time.;) After cruising it's the most popular activity for CC folks.

We usually ask to sit with others, but on several Celebrity cruises had asked to sit at a table for two....We were given tables that were about 6" from another table for two...Might as well have sat with the twosomes on either side of us.

Maybe I should have specified that we wanted to have a "more private" table for two or booked one of these beforehand (Anytime Dining)?

Thanks

not necessarily. on Royal, for instance the default is to be seated alone unless you request to be seated with others. so you would indeed be getting a table for 2 if that is all that is in your party.

now they TELL you you can show up whenever, and that is sorta true. but larger parties( more than 4) need to make reservations. we only pre reserve the first night then wing it the rest of the week. w may make a reservation for the next night as we leave the DR, or stop by during the day and make one for later.

We sail with family and friends, who sometimes seem to take advantage of a "flexible" schedule. We prefer the set time, same time, every night. If we don't, we hear, "we thought you said 7:30, not 7" or "we got the time mixed up" or "we were running late leaving the pool and since it's flexible, we knew we could be a few minutes late" (really? 20-25 minutes late while we sit and wait??). Some are the teens, but mostly two irresponsible adults. Therefore to avoid any family feuds, we pick a time (late) and that's it...no excuses. It works for us, but not for everyone.

If you eat around the same time each evening, you are likely to be seated in the same area, if not the same table each night. If that doesn't happen, and you find you have a preference, if you don't mind waiting a bit, you can request to be seated in a specific area. We've often done that, if we found we developed a rapport with a certain server, and the wait was never long at all.

If you eat around the same time each evening, you are likely to be seated in the same area, if not the same table each night. If that doesn't happen, and you find you have a preference, if you don't mind waiting a bit, you can request to be seated in a specific area. We've often done that, if we found we developed a rapport with a certain server, and the wait was never long at all.

Which cruise line?

We had flexible dinning aka My time dinning on RCL...and yes we got a table for two and we requested for it.

For the question if you can come anytime, it depends whether the area you prefer to seat at has tables for you.. if not, they will you tell you how long you to have to wait and give you a buzzer so you could come back later when it buzz. If you wish to seat anywhere, no preference every night then by all means.

And the tables are not close to the other on RCL...