Port Lockroy: Penguin Post Office

digitl

Good news!

It looks like the programme will be shown on PBS later this month (28 January on most channels) as part of their "Nature" series.

Thanks for that great head's up! I have put a note in my calendar to record it. And their press release says that after it airs, it will be available for on line streaming (altho I'll add that PBS's streaming is pretty poor).

http://www.thirteen.org/13pressroom/press-release/nature-season-33-penguin-post-office/

• 3 weeks later...

So glad we finally got to see this; it was wonderful.* It was so amazing to think that we've actually been there!

*Spoiler alert.....

The adult penguins killing that chick, however, was pretty tough to watch, and of course very sad. I thought it interesting that the narrator said the reason for this behavior is not understood. Indeed, it's hard to fathom why adults of a species would do this to a chick that was not threatening them or their chicks.

• 6 months later...

This TV documentary finally made it to NZ screens recently. A great programme! We enjoyed watching it. Would love to go there!

We are heading into Antarctic waters in December/January, but just with HAL, not on an expedition cruise. Maybe it will give us a taste to do a "proper" Antarctic trip later!

This TV documentary finally made it to NZ screens recently. A great programme! We enjoyed watching it. Would love to go there!

Glad you enjoyed it, though it must have taken the slow boat from the UK to NZ!

We are heading into Antarctic waters in December/January, but just with HAL, not on an expedition cruise. Maybe it will give us a taste to do a "proper" Antarctic trip later!

Start booking now... you will succumb!

Yeah, sometimes it takes ages for UK programmes to show up here! They may be on the pay channels earlier, but we don't subscribe. Am just hoping the series about how the programme was made (mentioned above) eventually shows up here too.

Will have to wait and see if hubby enjoys our forthcoming venture into Antarctic waters with HAL, before deciding a "proper" Antarctic trip has to be added to the bucket list! I don't need any persuading! :)

By all means you should do a proper expedition to Antarctica, with landings by zodiac.

I did it twice: in 1999 to celebrate Y2K, and again the next year to celebrate the beginning of the new millennium. BOTH were fantastic. So much to see and do. I did both on Orient Line's Marco Polo, which is no longer in service. They limited the number of passengers to 400, due in part to the fact that the ship wouldn't be able to take on fuel or stores for the time we were down there.

It was the experience of a lifetime; and it allowed me to truthfully say that I had set foot on all seven continents....

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...