Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Majestic America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old June 13th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question New Orleans to Memphis

My wife and I are considering a cruise from New Orleans to Memphis next spring (2008). Can anyone steer me to some reviews (pro and con - we'll weigh the factors we consider most important) for this particular itinerary?

We have not yet done any significant research, but we greatly value the opinions of Cruise Critic members and always pay attention to what you have to offer in the way of comments, opinions and suggestions.

Thanks!

"Some view their body as a temple; I view mine as an amusement park." (Unknown source)

"Don't criticize what you can't understand." (Bob Dylan)

Old June 13th, 2007, 03:46 PM
5,000+ Club

lel,

I haven´t done that cruise yet but New Orleans roundtrip and New Oreans - St. Louis both on the Mississippi Queen. You can find reviews for both cruises linked in my signature.

You can also find some interesting facts and things to see in our "Steamboat Traveller" which is available online

http://www.steamboats.org/traveller/index.shtml

or order the printed version.

It´s not my favorite itinerary. But of course New Orleans, Vicksburg, Natchez and Memphis are great places to see. The landscape is not very spectecular on this itinerary. Between New Orleans and Baton Rouge there´s a lot of industry along the river. And all the way up is flat land. For a first timer my suggestion would be the Upper Mississippi River from St. Louis to St. Paul (not reverse).

You haven´t mentioned the boat you´re looking on.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

steamboats

Old June 14th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Levees....

Also, depending on the river's depth, you can see a lot of levees and not much else. It can be like being in a ditch. Don't live there now but did live in New Orleans for about 20 years and I wouldn't go upriver (have taken visitors on many, many daytrips upriver to see plantations)- downriver from NO to the Gulf is much more interesting!

Old June 14th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Reason for trip

Actually, our principal purpose is to end up in Memphis (where our son and future daughter-in-law will be working) after a week or so of R&R. We've never done a river cruise and we're just beginning to examine the possibilities.

Does anyone know of other itineraries that will get us to end up in Memphis, preferably in March or April, 2008?

As always, thanks!

"Some view their body as a temple; I view mine as an amusement park." (Unknown source)

"Don't criticize what you can't understand." (Bob Dylan)

Old June 14th, 2007, 01:33 PM
5,000+ Club

lel,

As for March there aren´t any New Orleans - Memphis cruises, just New Orleans roundtrips. The earliest New Orleans - Memphis is Apr 12th-19th on the American Queen and then Apr 13th-20th on the Mississippi Queen. The American Queen is cruising New Orleans - Memphis on Apr 26th-May3rd again and then May 10th-17th and May 24th-31st. See www.majesticamericaline.com

RiverBarge has a NOLA-Memphis cruise on Mar 15th-22nd, Apr 10th-17th and Apr 24th-May1st. See www.riverbarge.com

There aren´t any other cruise companies out there.

Usually in Spring the boats are staying on the Lower Mississippi River due to the temperatures farther up. Anyway NOLA-Memphis is much nicer than any other cruise ending in Memphis (usually St. Louis-Memphis, Cincinnati or Louisville-Memphis or Nashville/Chattanooga-Memphis). There aren´t many choices if you want to end up in Memphis on a cruise ship.

steamboats