Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
- Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Princess Cruise Deals
- Write a Princess Cruise Review
- Find Your Princess Roll Call
See posts about:
Caribbean Princess
Diamond Princess
Island Princess
Royal Princess
Sun Princess

Coral Princess
Emerald Princess
Ocean Princess
Ruby Princess
Star Princess

Crown Princess
Golden Princess
Pacific Princess
Sapphire Princess

Dawn Princess
Grand Princess
Regal Princess
Sea Princess

Old September 13th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default How much to tip baggage handlers at cruise terminal?

We'll be sailing from San Pedro, CA. I know we can't completely insure that our luggage will arrive safely and in a timely manner to our cabin but I would like to tip generously so perhaps our 2 large pieces of luggage will be handled with care.

How much do you normally tip the baggage handlers at the cruise terminal?

Sandy

Old September 13th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

FWIW,

I don't know if I'm an over tipper or under tipper, but I tip ~$2 per bag. I have been fortunate enough to not have any missing or absurdly late bags in 20 cruises.

At one particular terminal, I tipped the usual amount only to watch him drag the 4 bags about 15 feet into a cage!

Old September 13th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

We $1 per bag for a weekender size; $1.50 or $2 for the big, heavy ones.

Proud member of the

Pollyanna Attitude with Rose Colored Glasses

9/26/08 Sovereign of the Seas
3/15/08 Emerald Princess
12/3/07 Norwegian Gem
9/23/06 Caribbean Princess
12/23/05 Mariner of the Seas
6/04 Infinity
11/91 Big Red Boat

Old September 13th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Arrow Longshoremen

Hi

As you may already known, but may not be common knowledge, the "porters" at the cruise terminal are longshoremen. They are not necessarily cruise employees.

A great tip might not insure speedy delivery to your room, because if the crate with your bags goes in first, although it is aboard ship, it may be "stuck" behind all the over crates and the last to be unloaded. The longshoremen merely get the stuff aboard ship. It is the ship's crew who get it from steerage to your room. So as far as "handled with care," the tip to the longshoremen has nothing to do with how your bags are handled aboard ship.

However, while the longshoremen may only move your bags 15 feet to that crate, that is the essential last step. Two thoughts-

1. Its probably the LACK of a tip that will do you more damage than the exact amount of tip will do you good.

2. What if you "over-tip" by a dollar, two, or even five. That is NOTHING compared to the lovely time you would have in your bags spent the whole cruise in the terminal.

Good luck

12/97 Destiny, 12/98 Imagination, 1/01 Patriot, 1/02 Westerdam, 11/03 Volendam, 2/05 Oosterdam, 11/05 Veendam, 12/06 Grandeur of the Seas, 8/07 Sun Princess, 12/10 Carnival Triumph

Last edited by docksider21; September 13th, 2007 at 08:25 PM.

Old September 13th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Arrow Tipping Signs

Most ports have "Tipping not required" signs. however its not worth taking a chance on ruining your cruiser. We always tip $2/bag.

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 13th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

The longshoremen are making $25-$45 an hour. Your bags will get to your room if you tip or not. It just may take longer if you don't tip.

Old September 13th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have never tipped the longshoremen and have noticed no difference in how the bags are handled and when they get to our cabin. The longshoremen have no control over the delivery of bags on the ship. As the previous poster mentioned, these workers are well paid and not working for tips as those in the service industry must do.

Old September 13th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Interesting discussion. I always like to tip well just to make sure my bags get on the ship. My DH believes that as longshoremen, they are paid well and although he is willing to tip, doesn not like to give alot since he feels they are paid for their work and are only moving the bags some times as little as 5 feet.

Well a couple of cruises ago, at DH's request, we tipped, but not that well. We were literally next to the metal carrier that the luggage was being placed in and for that matter, could have put it in ourselves. Well one bag, my husbands came to us on the ship with a large deep cut, about 10", essentially ruining the bag. Looked like a sharp box cutter or something had been used on it. To this day, I still wonder if it happened on accident or if the porter did it. When we dropped this luggage off with him, he seemed quite threatening, saying something like I'm the one that makes sure you get you luggage and that's in one piece. Kind of felt like a shake down.

I Wonder???

Anyway, the last cruise we tipped according to how much I wanted to tip and the porter seemed surprised and thanked us very politely for the tip. Huge contrast from the previous porter.

Last edited by vmom; September 13th, 2007 at 10:05 PM.

Old September 13th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

I dont know if a tip is required, but it is good for peace of mind.

NCL Sky- 5/25/09- Bahamas * NCL STAR-03/20/10 - Mexican Riviera * NCL Dawn - 12/12/10 - Western Caribbean * NCL Pearl - 04/10/11 - Western Caribbean * NCL Pearl - 12/11/11 - Western Caribbean -
04/28/2012 - Eastern Caribbean - Carnival Valor
- 02/09/2013 - Southern Caribbean - Caribbean Princess

Old September 13th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

I tip also very nicely. As a vent here, do we all need to live in fear if we do not tip?

Old September 13th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

San Pedro is one of the few Ports that has a large sign

Do Not Tip

Tipping is Definitely not required or even expected if you sail out of a UK Port like Dover or Southampton

Old September 13th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

We also tip $2 per bag but it is to ensure the luggage makes it onto the ship. On our last cruise, we actually saw the Princess employee who delivered one bag. We did tip him too(it was heavy!) and the next thing we know there is a knock and it is the same guy w/ the rest of our luggage.

Old September 14th, 2007, 02:07 AM
5,000+ Club

Default The Extortion Is Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by docksider21 View Post
.............2. What if you "over-tip" by a dollar, two, or even five. That is NOTHING compared to the lovely time you would have in your bags spent the whole cruise in the terminal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by septrack View Post
Most ports have "Tipping not required" signs. however its not worth taking a chance on ruining your cruiser. We always tip $2/bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmom View Post
Anyway, the last cruise we tipped according to how much I wanted to tip and the porter seemed surprised and thanked us very politely for the tip. Huge contrast from the previous porter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B40 Tha Cruisa View Post
I dont know if a tip is required, but it is good for peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christapie View Post
I tip also very nicely. As a vent here, do we all need to live in fear if we do not tip?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck53 View Post
We also tip $2 per bag but it is to ensure the luggage makes it onto the ship. On our last cruise, we actually saw the Princess employee who delivered one bag. We did tip him too(it was heavy!) and the next thing we know there is a knock and it is the same guy w/ the rest of our luggage.
Sorry to say...... Looks like the extortion continues to work. Tipping should be for service rendered...... not for fear of retaliation.

If my bag got trashed (like the poster who's was sliced with a boxcutter)..... Princess would know and I would expect them to make it good.

But then.... I personnally make sure mine get into the bin (sometimes putting them in myself, and then I watch others get loaded on top before I leave.
Mar 91 Starward, Eastern Caribbean
Dec 91 Dawn Princess, Mexican Rivera
Jul 99 Nieuw Amsterdam, Alaska (Northbound)
Aug 01 SS Independence, Hawaii My Independence Photos
Apr 02 Royal Princess, Panama Canal
Apr 03 Dawn Princess, Trans Pacific / Hawaii
Aug 03 Grand Princess, Western Caribbean
Aug 03 Grand Princess, Eastern Caribbean
Nov 03 Ryndam, Mexican Rivera
Apr 04 Zenith, Southern Caribbean
Sep 04 Regal Princess, Canada / New England My Regal Photos
Feb 05 Tahitian Princess, Tahiti / Cook Islands My Tahitian Princess - Cook Photos
Feb 05 Tahitian Princess, Tahiti / Marquesas Islands My Tahitian Princess - Marquesas Photos
Apr 05 Dawn Princess, Panama Canal Ft Laud to SF My Dawn Princess - Panama Canal Photos
May 05 Mississippi Queen, Mississippi River My Mississippi Queen Photos
Sep 05 Grand Princess, Eastern Med / Greek Isles My Grand Med / Greek Isle Photos
Apr 06 Dawn Princess, CA Coast / Mexican Rivera My Dawn Princess Mex Rivera Photos
Aug 06 Golden Princess, British Isles My Golden Princess Photos
Feb 07 Sapphire Princess, Australia / New Zealand My Sapphire Princess Photos
Jan 10 Sapphire Princess, Mexican Rivera

Upcoming Cruises
TBD

Old September 14th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARRTrain View Post
The longshoremen are making $25-$45 an hour. Your bags will get to your room if you tip or not. It just may take longer if you don't tip.
Sorry to disagree but ....

2 cruises ago - I tipped very little and one bag had it's tag ripped off and I found it while I was going to dinner in front on the purser's desk.

They do get pissed off and can cause problems.

Old September 14th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasetf View Post
But then.... I personnally make sure mine get into the bin (sometimes putting them in myself, and then I watch others get loaded on top before I leave.
Can I put our bags in the luggage bin myself? It sounds absurd that I have to tip someone to move something 15' that I have been schleping across country myself. Especially when they make more money than I do as a nurse.

I was watching Cruise Do's and Dont's on the travel chanell last night and they said that they take your bag at the terminal then scan it before it goes on board ship. Do they scan it after you drop it off or as you drop it off? (we are sailing out of SF on tuesday We can hardly wait)

Old September 14th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Can I put our bags in the luggage bin myself? It sounds absurd that I have to tip someone to move something 15' that I have been schleping across country myself. Especially when they make more money than I do as a nurse.

I was watching Cruise Do's and Dont's on the travel chanell last night and they said that they take your bag at the terminal then scan it before it goes on board ship. Do they scan it after you drop it off or as you drop it off? (we are sailing out of SF on tuesday We can hardly wait)

Old September 14th, 2007, 07:55 AM
5,000+ Club

If I have two bags (usually large and fairly heavy) I do $5. I can't see having four singles for two bags. $5 is nice and "round". One bag would get $2.

Elation - 5 Day Western - 10/28/13 - Platinum Cruise

Already Sailed:
Triumph 7/8/00 (7 Night Eastern)
Triumph 7/28/01 (7 Night Western)
Glory 7/26/03 (7 Night Maiden Eastern)
Fantasy 7/4/04 (4 Night Bahama)
Crown Princess 7/20/06 (7 Night Modified from 9 Night Due to the "List" -20th Anniversary Cruise - Bermuda and Grand Turk)
Crown Princess 7/5/07 (2nd try-DH's 40th Birthday Cruise-Bermuda, San Juan, St. Thomas & Grand Turk)
Carnival Miracle 5/25/08 (8 Day Eastern Caribbean)
Carnival Destiny 10/29/09 (4 Day Western)
Carnival Miracle 5/15/10 (8 Day - Grand Turk, HMC, and Nassau)
Carnival Miracle 5/14/11 (8 Day - Grand Turk, HMC and Nassau) - Repeat Offender x 2
Carnival Miracle 5/6/12 (8 Day - San Juan, St. Thomas and Grand Turk) - Repeat Offender x 3
Pride of America -11/10/12 - Hawaiian Islands

Old September 14th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Sorry to say...... Looks like the extortion continues to work. Tipping should be for service rendered...... not for fear of retaliation.

If my bag got trashed (like the poster who's was sliced with a boxcutter)..... Princess would know and I would expect them to make it good.

While it may not be right, its an unfortunate fact. And unless your going to watch the bin until they finish filling it and forklift it onto the ship, you're going to have to leave it sometime while its on the dock.

Its the same reason you never tick off your waitstaff at a restaurant or you will end up with extra "presents" in your food you don't even know about. (have seen this happen!)
Crown Princess 11/30/08 - E. Caribbean
Crown Princess 6/29/08 - Northern Europe/Baltic (Berlin)
Caribbean Princess 10/7/07 - E. Caribbean
Coral Princess 4/18/07 - Panama Canal R/T
Star Princess 6/14/06 - Northern Europe/Baltic (Oslo)
Carnival Fascination 9/26/05 - W. Caribbean
Diamond Princess 7/16/05 - Alaska Inside Passage
Oceanic (Home Lines) - Bermuda/Nassau - 1980s

Old September 14th, 2007, 09:10 AM
5,000+ Club

Port Canaveral also has signs saying not to tip. These longshoremen are union and very well paid, probably most make more than your average cruiser. I have a real issue with someone who basically demands a tip from you. These guys are paid to load your luggage. That is their job. We usually tip them but only because I'm not sure I want to find out what might happen if we don't. Although last cruise we gave them $5 for 4 bags and one bag had the whole tag torn off and the other was missing part of the tag. The one with the whole tag missing wasn't found for us by our steward until about 7:30 pm. We got our other 3 bags before 5. The guys onboard who deliver (and pickup) the luggage to your cabins are the ones that do the most work.

Grandeur of the Seas 01 Nov 2014
Grandeur of the Seas 18 March 2014
Allure of the Seas 03 Nov 2013
Explorer of the Seas 15 Mar 2013
Explorer of the Seas 04 Nov 2012
Enchantment of the Seas 10 March 2012
Freedom of the Seas 16 Oct 2011
Enchantment of the Seas 23 July 2011
Explorer of the Seas 07 Nov 2010
Explorer of the Seas 19 Mar 2010
Grandeur of the Seas 25 July 2009
Carnival Miracle 22 April 2009
Carnival Glory 01 Nov 2008
Dawn Princess 21 Oct 2007
Carnival Glory 11 Nov 2006
Carnival Fantasy 13 Nov 2005

Last edited by BND; September 14th, 2007 at 09:11 AM.

Old September 14th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Trust me, in San Pedro offer some kind of tip ! We speak from experience. We arrived in a van and in the confusion we failed to tip the handler. We found our bags several hours later in the baggage area of the ship with all the luggage tags torn off. There were several other bags there also. Even if it's only a couple of dollars it will be worth it in the long run.