Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

The Meyer Werft Webcam clearly shows keel sections of the Quantum being staged alongside the NCL Getaway, in Hall #6. It should not be too much longer until they begin laying the keel and building up from there! :cool:

Here's the link: http://www.meyerwerft.de/en/meyerwerft_de/werft/das_unternehmen/webcam/webcam.jsp

Eric

Edited by Pomperaugrr

Just pure speculation and looking at the time table for the breakaway and getaway from start to finish, I would speculate aug for keel laying

The website says that they are building the new research vessel Sonne in hall 6

They will be building it where the getaway for ncl is being finished. Top picture on the webcam

It aslo looks like the Webcam was updated today. There was a section of the Quantun blocks that was visible yesterday but no longer there. I wonder if that is the first block of the keel laying and has been moved behind Getaway in preparation of keel laying.

Here is another new picture according to the website

http://www.meyerwerft.de/en/meyerwerft_de/werft/das_unternehmen/webcam/webcam.jsp

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

If you look at that pic, while you will notice most of the balcony glass now in Getaway, you should also note that the three Quantum blocks that were adjacent to it have now disappeared. Likely in the drydock about to be welded up (if they are not already).

If you look at that pic, while you will notice most of the balcony glass now in Getaway, you should also note that the three Quantum blocks that were adjacent to it have now disappeared. Likely in the drydock about to be welded up (if they are not already).

Agreed, but in the same respect they usually have the keel laying ceremony almost right around the same time.. Hopefully someone that has a little more knowledge of the ship building process can confirm this...

Agreed, but in the same respect they usually have the keel laying ceremony almost right around the same time.. Hopefully someone that has a little more knowledge of the ship building process can confirm this...

Any idea which drydock? Will it be one behind, in front, beside or same as* the Getaway's drydock?

*after it's moved of course

I very much doubt any block for Quantum would be put in the dry dock until Getaway has been floated out. Two reasons: don't want to be moving the blocks more then they have to and don 't need then getting a coat of brackish water. My father was a boat/ship builder and I picked a little knowledge along the way.

Any idea which drydock? Will it be one behind, in front, beside or same as* the Getaway's drydock?

*after it's moved of course

It will be behind Getaway. They have ability to close off a section of the dock while the ship forward in this case Getaway is afloat. This has been done numerous times before. Most recent ones include, Disney vs Celebrity Reflection, Reflection vs Breakaway and Breakaway vs Getaway. If you search the web for images of those vessels builds you can see these examples.

• Like 1

Here is another point to consider. During the construction period of Reflection and Breakaway the webcam was at the back of the hall (Hall 6). It wasn't unil a few weeks ago that the webcam has been projeciting from the front of the hall. So is there something in the back we are not supposed to see yet? Just saying!

Here is another point to consider. During the construction period of Reflection and Breakaway the webcam was at the back of the hall (Hall 6). It wasn't unil a few weeks ago that the webcam has been projeciting from the front of the hall. So is there something in the back we are not supposed to see yet? Just saying!

Maybe there is / will be a set-up like this (minus the holiday garland?) ...

S692_NCL_Getaway_Keellaying_zps683eb2a7.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

Checking out the Meyer Werft webcam for images of Quantum of the Seas (blocks) has me curious about the company and the huge structures within which they build the ships. Finding nice videos of their facilities. These have me wanting to go on their tour:

For that matter, I've also been checking out info, photos and videos on the Cape Liberty cruise port because the Quantum of the Seas will sail from there. Didn't really know it existed until I heard about it in relation to the ship.

Edited by Lloyd555