Ovation - better for sea days or the ports of call?

So what does everyone think of the Sydney-NZ itineraries, or would you be more interested in experiencing the ship?

Is anyone doing the shorter segments of Cruiseco's charter from Singapore, disembarking in Freo, Adelaide, Melbourne, Hobart?

Details here: http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=6412

Disappointed they are all NZ cruises - prefer tropical cruises as better guarantee for warm weather. Will be our third time to Wellington in a few years! Ho hum.

But for us it's about the ship & we have a hold on a cabin for the 14 day NZ on Jan 9.

They do have a large covered adults solarium area so if it's cold or lots of kids onboard that will be our escape.

Was going to do the 10 day New Years but concluded it may not be enough days/nights to experience all the ship has to offer, considering the number of shows & restaurants, plus the sports options.

Possibly looking at doing one but still researching.

The best option for me would be to pickup the charter (from Sing to Syd) in Freo and ride Ovation on home to Sydney. These will only become available later when the full itinerary trip is booked out or not, so we may or may not get the chance. Despite the naysayers, I think she is going to be very popular & sales will be brisk.

The timing of Ovation being here Dec-Jan, whilst peaktime for the market is not the best time for us.

Let's see what happens

The best option for me would be to pickup the charter (from Sing to Syd) in Freo and ride Ovation on home to Sydney. These will only become available later when the full itinerary trip is booked out or not, so we may or may not get the chance. Despite the naysayers, I think she is going to be very popular & sales will be brisk.

The timing of Ovation being here Dec-Jan, whilst peaktime for the market is not the best time for us.

Let's see what happens

Yes, I would like to try a new ship and the prices are not that bad. I think it will sell out fairly quickly and the prices will skyrocket.

Those NZ ports should be able to handle it - even smaller ones like Picton.

The test will be when there are other ships in port at the same time as the Ovation. Currently, some of those ports are starting to struggle with two (medium) ships but that is still only around 4000-5000 pax.

Edited by MicCanberra

Those NZ ports should be able to handle it - even smaller ones like Picton.

Tauranga had difficulty handling the Voyager earlier this year. They didn't set up the containers to support the gangway until well after the ship docked. It was around 1.5 hours after we docked until getting off the ship.

Edited by cruisine21

You are an optimist! I suspect it will be more popular with passengers from the Northern Hemisphere, rather than Australians.

I am an optimist but people like to try the ships that have never been here before and this will actually be a new ship and unlike any that has been here before, so I think it will sell.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I am an optimist but people like to try the ships that have never been here before and this will actually be a new ship and unlike any that has been here before, so I think it will sell.:D

I can understand people's desire to try brand new ships.

I agree it will sell, but "at what price" is the question. :)

You are an optimist! I suspect it will be more popular with passengers from the Northern Hemisphere, rather than Australians.

Why did over 20 000 Australians sign up then for the pre launch email marketing?

I have a few cabins on hold pending conversation with my hubby tonight.:) We will probably go the 14 day cruise as we both want max time to enjoy the ships many new features & shows etc.

I don't care much for the itineraries, it's all about the ship for me. I think it will sell well enough, especially once the non CC type cruisers or new cruisers hear about it via T/A's, news media etc.

We have booked the New Years cruise.:D

Yey! - everyone has a new cruise to look forward to. It feels like Christmas with all the buzz on here today.

We nearly did the NY cruise but changed to the 14 day cruise on Jan 9.

More time to explore the ship & I finally get to see those glow worm caves I've missed last 2 times in NZ! :D

Yey! - everyone has a new cruise to look forward to. It feels like Christmas with all the buzz on here today.

We nearly did the NY cruise but changed to the 14 day cruise on Jan 9.

More time to explore the ship & I finally get to see those glow worm caves I've missed last 2 times in NZ! :D

Yes, people are snapping them up.:D