1st solo cruise 9/19

jbc1963

Doing my 1 st solo cruise Sept 19 out of Miami. I am from Houston Tx. I was new to cruising last year. But...... I caught the bug.....lol Have taken 5 cruises since May of 2014. I have this cruise booked along with a Halloween cruise out of Galveston with a group of friends. BTW Halloween last year was a blast.

I have meetings for work in Miami and am staying over to take the short 5 day on the Victory. Seems like a 5 day would be a good time to try a solo. If I hate it it won't be too long. I am looking forward to being able to relax and do what I want and not worry about keeping up with a group. As others have mentioned, A little worried about dining. I chose late dining with a 8 or more group table. I do enjoy meeting new people, but can be some what shy at first. I am a 52 yo gwm. So I am sure I can handle this. Just a little nervous thinking about it.

Has anyone done solo out of Miami on Carnival Victory? Any tips would be appreciated.

Did 3-4 one week solo cruises on carnival last winter, about your age, only because partner has limited vacation and live in Fort Lauderdale, so easy. Was my first time doing solo, was cautious at first, good idea getting table of eight, did that on one of my solo carnival cruises last winter, they put four single, two men and two women at my table (most cruises lines try to do that), along with 3 single guys in their early 20's, unfortunately straight. We all got along well and had great conversations. It can be hit and miss. Carnival along with most cruiselines have a nightly LGBT gathering for an hour each evening at one of the bars. Those are very hit and miss, but especially if you are going by yourself, worth to check it out the first few evenings, perhaps you will meet another solo guy traveling and or couple, you could hang out with, or if they have open seating, you could join them for dinner one night. Another suggestion, if you don't like the people at table of eight you are assigned to the first night, I recommend you talk to the maitre d (I have done this before) and for example you could say that is too late and say you want to switch to earlier seating if possible, with just one person, they usually will make the change and you could even ask if there is a table of 6-8 with all/mostly single people he could switch you to. If you have any questions about my suggestions, feel free to give me a shout.

Why worried about it? Nothing you can do about it now. Who knows you might have great table mates. If it doesn't work out - ask the Maitr'd to change your table. It's only a 5 night cruise - I think you can survive. If that doesn't work you can take your meal in the Lido cafe and chalk that cruise up to experience. Every cruise is different with different people. There are no guarantees. I think you have to go into every cruise with a positive attitude and don't worry about the "going solo" part. Most of the time things works out for the best. Happy cruising.

I did my first solo cruise @50 year old.

Had a blast. Quickly discovered companies that specialize in gay groups and have enjoyed the close friendship I've developed out of those annual experiences.

I now have a partner and he is hooked on cruising as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk