Pre-cruise accommodation and itineri

Tifflih

First time in Rome and first time doing a Western Mediterranean cruise in early November. There're some anxiety for sure. We plan to arrive 2 days before the cruise date, which will leave us about two and a half days to tour Rome (arrive early morning in day-2).

What will be a good area to stay? (convenience+safety)

What are the must see places in this short time span?

Is it safe to go out at night?

Should we join a day tour and what are the good ones?

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Tiff

2 and a half days is a great amount of time. You will get a full taste of Rome. Rome is very walkable, so no need to join in any large area tours, but tours of individual attractions (like the Vatican or the Colossuem) will probably be important to you.

Do some reading down the board. There are lots of threads on hotels. You know your budget, we don't. There are many recommendations for hotels in the near the Pantheon, but, again, if your budget is not tight, I would highly recommend the Cavalleri, which is not in the downtown, but has a shuttle, and has a great location and views.

First time in Rome and first time doing a Western Mediterranean cruise in early November. There're some anxiety for sure. We plan to arrive 2 days before the cruise date, which will leave us about two and a half days to tour Rome (arrive early morning in day-2).

What will be a good area to stay? (convenience+safety)

What are the must see places in this short time span?

Is it safe to go out at night?

Should we join a day tour and what are the good ones?

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Tiff

You're a touch late to get good hotel prices. Check tingo.com for hotels. I suggest that you try to get a place by the Spanish Steps. For a guide book, use Rick Steves. For guided tours, he recommends (among others) "The Roman Guy" which has the option of driver plus licensed guide. Remember that only "licensed" guides can take you into antiquity locations.

Even if you're not Catholic, Vatican Museum is a must.

Use Trip Advisor for restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hotel Pomezia or Hotel Smeraldo near Campo Fiori very central within walking distance of great sights of Roma. Excellent restaurants near by .

Do your exploring your self . Pre book admissions where required via Vatican Museum website and tickitaly website to save hours standing in queues.

Book accommodation direct via hotel websites to avoid paying middleman commissions .

To get to Civitavecchia for your cruise take train from Roma Termini station .

We have stayed twice at the Hotel Smeraldo and enjoyed it very much. Located by Campo di'Fiori and the Largo Argentina transportation hub and near nice restaurants in the Old Rome area and about 10 minutes walk to Pantheon and Piazza Navona, great for evening strolls.

Edited by CintiPam

Thank you all for your responses! I have read quite a few posts from the forum and checked out the hotels suggested by many. Most of the recommended hotels have no availability for the dates I'm looking for:( That's why I tried to get an idea of a good area to search more, looks like Pantheon/Spanish Steps area is a good bet. Is taking a taxi the only way to get to the port and other major attractions, if staying at a hotel near Vatican?

You might want to consider renting an apartment. For us it was no more expensive and we had the convenience of a full size refrigerator...and a wonderful rooftop patio overlooking the colisieum.

Regarding transportation to the port, the cheapest way (and frankly very easy IMHO) is to take the train. We elected to take the express which only had one? two? stops and cost as I recall 10 or 12 euros. The regional train which runs more often is even cheaper. The train we took left from Termini and was a little crowded but we had an enjoyable ride and met other folks taking "our" cruise.

Be sure to have the Pantheon on your sightseeing list. It is free and magnificent.

Edited by Clay Clayton

Thank you all for your responses! I have read quite a few posts from the forum and checked out the hotels suggested by many. Most of the recommended hotels have no availability for the dates I'm looking for:( That's why I tried to get an idea of a good area to search more, looks like Pantheon/Spanish Steps area is a good bet. Is taking a taxi the only way to get to the port and other major attractions, if staying at a hotel near Vatican?

I can't believe that hotels are that full in early November -- not a prime time to visit Rome. Are you going to the hotel's website directly or looking at consolidator sites?

Here's my suggestion: go to venere.com and search hotels in Rome for your dates. On the left side you can select an area or areas to search. Look at what's available and cross-research on Tripadvisor (they have better reviews IMO than the ones on venere.com).

I'm sure you'll come up with something using this method. If you come up with several possibilities and want specific feedback, you can ask here but keep in mind lots of folks have only stayed at one or two hotels in Rome.

If you are staying near the Vatican, you can use the bus and metro system to get around but navigating it and waiting for buses can eat up time when you only have two days. If you take a taxi to somewhere in the center, you can then walk around to most sites from there. The fare should be 10-12 euro approximately from the Vatican to somewhere like the Colosseum.

Are you going this year 2014 or next yeR 2015? If going in 2015 the hotles may show as no rooms as it is to early to book. Just saying.If 2014 there must be hotles to book and the inof Cruisemom gave you is very good.

My hotel was showing no rooms available for Sept of 2015 so i sent them an email and i got my reservation that way.

Again, thank you all for your helpful suggestions. We are looking for 10/30-11/1 of 2014. This is a last minute decision to go on a cruise and visit a place we have never been to... I'm diligently searching hotels and reading reviews as I typed, now focusing on Piazza Navonna/Pantheon/Campo di Fiori/Spanish Steps areas, and hopefully can find a good one between $150-$250/night.

Every time I read the reviews of a property with good scores, there're always people saying bad things about it which led me to have second thoughts :confused:

Again, thank you all for your helpful suggestions. We are looking for 10/30-11/1 of 2014. This is a last minute decision to go on a cruise and visit a place we have never been to... I'm diligently searching hotels and reading reviews as I typed, now focusing on Piazza Navonna/Pantheon/Campo di Fiori/Spanish Steps areas, and hopefully can find a good one between $150-$250/night.

Every time I read the reviews of a property with good scores, there're always people saying bad things about it which led me to have second thoughts :confused:

You will never find a hotel with no negative reviews. There are some crazy nitpickers out there. Also, you will hear the same complaints over and over from travelers not used to European hotels vs. American hotels for example, the rooms are small, the staff are "less friendly," the breakfast isn't "American" style, etc.

Focus on the things that are important to you. Throw out the reviews that are overly positive and overly negative and look at the TRENDS in what's left. If lots of people mention that the walls are thin, it's likely to be true. If only one person mentions it, they may be hypersensitive.

For my dollar (or euro), location trumps room size in Europe. And by the way, staff aren't "less friendly", they just don't walk around with a broad smile and an overly cheery "Good morning!" every time you see them. It's a cultural difference.

The Hotel Smeraldo has been a favorite of many people over the years. Just know most rooms are small in many hotels,but they are generally clean,and if you smile and are polite they will smile and welcome you.

There are 3 cruise ships in Civitavecchia Nov 1 (port load 6466). That might explain why it is a bit harder to find a popular place. Which ship are you on? Have you tried B&B's?

I would really appreciate it if anyone who had stayed in the following hotels could give feedback:

Hotel Mozart-Spanish Steps

Hotel Rinascimento--Campo de’ Fiori

Lh Royal Suites-Campo de’ Fiori

Hotel Nationale-Pantheon

I believe they are all in good locations and not far off from each other in prices. We would like to find a place that's clean, comfortable (bed), and not too noisy at night. Good breakfast would be a plus:).

Edited by Tifflih

We will be on Jade!

We are on Silhouette and we are staying in Civitavecchia for 3 days. We have been to Rome a few times so thought we would stay at the port and tour from there (in a rental car) on the two days prior to the cruise. I hope you have found a suitable hotel in Rome and that you will enjoy the city and the cruise.

We arrived midday in Rome and I had organised a tour of the lights of Rome (can't remember the exact name). It was just perfect. We got on the tour bus that evening and just made our way all around Rome and all the major sites were all lit up. It was so enjoyable and relaxing after our flight. Would even do it again.

I would really appreciate it if anyone who had stayed in the following hotels could give feedback:

Hotel Mozart-Spanish Steps

Hotel Rinascimento--Campo de’ Fiori

Lh Royal Suites-Campo de’ Fiori

Hotel Nationale-Pantheon

I believe they are all in good locations and not far off from each other in prices. We would like to find a place that's clean, comfortable (bed), and not too noisy at night. Good breakfast would be a plus:).

If you mean the hotel ****onale near the Pantheon then would recommend. We are staying there next week. Our third stay with them, which says it all. Very well situated. Pleasant rooms.Good breakfast. Efficient staff.

Dont know why the asterixs have come up on my post but the its last one you mentioned. Spelt with a 'z'

It is merely the CC spellchecker being PC. It cannot differentiate between a political ideology that it has decided not to spell and the normal spelling of some foreign words without political significance.