Farewell to the Martini Bar

jelayne

We love the Martini Bar and on our past 7 Celebrity cruises that was our "pre-dinner and night cap" bar. Just off the Solstice and after 2 nights of very loud pounding music(?) we and others just had to leave on the 3rd night. Conversation was impossible and a headache was a strong possibility.

Before we left on the 3 rd night a group of us asked one of the bartenders if he could turn down the volume, which he did, only to have one of the waiters turn it up 5 mins later. He turned it down again- server turned it up! We all left.

We love music and the house band Top Notch was great- played a wide variety of music and always drew a crowd & got guests of all ages up and dancing. They were not a "quiet" band but it was music not the techno pounding that was piped into the Martini bar.

So unfortunately we have to say farewell to the Martini bar & those luscious large Martinis - oh well on the bright side we'll save some $ as gin & tonic, piña coladas, etc are less expensive!

Completely agree we were on the same cruise. We ended up sitting in the chairs around the atrium area. We also asked for the music to be toned down. While it was a great cruise to Alaska with good weather we were underwhelmed with Celebrity this time and cancelled our April 11 night cruise. We first sailed in 2000 and really liked their product and have sailed 6 times with them but feel there is a decline in several areas starting with the quality of food. Looks like land trips are in our future and hopefully things will improve at some point.

Unfortunately, it certainly is ....

We were on that cruise too.

The massive 6 pieces drum, pounded on while the TopNotch vocal performers were trying to perform simply drowned them out. As Celebrity seems stubbornly obstinate in imposing this type of ''musical treatment''on their guests in an attempt to re-invent itself, we too have bid farewell to Celebrity.

Martini Bar music : completely agree with previous posters.

Performer on deck #5 Al Bacio was simply drowned out by the cacophony from the grand foyer on deck #3...and complained about it.

The otherwise lovely group ''attempting'' to perform in Ensemble lounge on deck #5 was similarly ''vocal'' about not being audible.

Conversation at guest relations was embarassing....impossible unless we were shouting ( and this was the attendant himself saying that !!!!!! ).

Even Tuscan Grill 's Elite breakfast was ''vicitimized''(once only) by someone turning up the volume on music which was otherwise quite pleasant....to the point where someone ''shouted'' to Rose:''waht the **** are you guys thinking;turn it down'' !!!! ...which it was within seconds.

I really don't know what ==X== 's suits in Miami are thinking....but if ''purging our current porfolio of guests'' is the top objective...welll.WELL DONE.

The band playing in the Foyer the last 2 evenings was quite good,as well as energetic....but the drum impact was more in line with what was being played and at a ''normal'' volume.

But earlier ?..the drumming was simply offensively loud and ''out of touch'' with the tune.

being played ( they indeed had a good mix of songs....if you could hear the vocals....).

This is unfortunate as, otherwise, this cruise was near excellent. Fantastic crew,great ship, in good condition, dining experiences were good ( if not extraordinary) .Tuscan Grill dinner was 100% brilliant.

The demographic mix of the over 3200 guests was one of the most agreable I've encountered over 22 cruises.

Life goes on. There are other lines.

Cheers

I'm hoping it's just related to Solstice. We also have loved the Martini Bars on all of our ships, but we sailed on Solstice on August 22 and I thought the Martini Bar was just terrible. The main Bartender made terrible Cosmos, they would only have one bartender manning the bar during their Happy Hour...lots of other issues. It just didn't seem to be well run at all. This is only time I have ever given a bad review on the survey, but really it was sad. I'm hoping Equinox will be back to what I usually see in the Martini Bar.

I would have asked to speak to a supervisor since the bartender complied with your request and a wait person took it upon themselves to turn it back up.....sounds like the wait person is more concerned with "their" interests than the guests.....I would have made at least one attempt to speak to management about it before giving in and vacating the area....

We are booked on Solstice in Dec 2015. I hope that they have this issue fixed long before that. The Martini Bar on Equinox this summer was fantastic. I hope that Solstice is changed to be just like that.

I agree about trying to talk to Guest Relations. If you went at the wrong time, you couldn't hear anything anyone said.

Ohiodoglover

You've got to wonder if just as some thought the music was too loud, others thought it was too low when turned down and asked for it to be turned back up. Could be just a difference of opinion as to what is too loud.

Considering there are already 3 posters stating they were on the same cruise and felt the same way I think that possibility is low....but of course you never know....I still would have spoken to a supervisor....If you don't let someone know you are unhappy they can't fix it....

Considering there are already 3 posters stating they were on the same cruise and felt the same way I think that possibility is low....but of course you never know....I still would have spoken to a supervisor....If you don't let someone know you are unhappy they can't fix it....
As has been shown on here before, one will say the music is ear splitting, while another said there were no issues with the loudness and they were on the same cruise. I agree, both sides need to let a supervisor know that they are unhappy.

We are just off the Silhouette and we went to the Martini Bar twice. Service was horrendous - for us, maybe not so for others. Instead of trying to be Tom Cruise in the movie Cocktail with their attempts to do their bartender "tricks", which failed miserably with glasses falling and breaking, and drinks being spilled over the bar instead of into the glasses, they would be better to serve their customers. Also, I agree turn down the music so people can have a conversation without having to yell over the music.

And at one time there was never an issue, it was simply background music. Let's call it Dinner Music.

I had asked this question prior to our booking because the Boom Boom music on board was an issue for us on previous cruises and we left this line as we we looking for relaxation not agitation.

From the responses here when I asked about what was going on with the music, it seemed that the line was back to a baseline it had maninted previously, but that the line could indeed be fickle on board.

The lack of consistency is a shame.

I agree with Gracie, if this happens on our Reflection cruise coming up, the bar manager (there is one on every ship) will be summoned no matter what the time. And we will have a little chat. There is NOTHING worse than not being able to carry on a conversation in the bar.

I prefer smooth jazz in my martini atmosphere, or at least easy listening. I am there to relax, enjoy good company and good martinis in that order. I do not go there to dance or listen to music. That should be a part of the background ambiance.

I once had to call in the bar manager on a Carni cruise because there were multiple tables with sticky glass rings and residue from the night before(this was on boarding day around 12:30!). He personally called a cleaning person who came with paper towels. But her ineptness prompted me to call him back to complain that she was not doing a proper job. She was called back this time with Clorox cloths and the tables were then clean. At least the manager did his job and you can expect him to do the same where the comfort of the guests is at stake. Persistence is a great persuader.

Make sure these problems are prominently displayed on your exit survey!!!:mad:

Also agree with Suntan. I do not go there to see a circus either. Take the bar tricks elsewhere, we're grown ups here.

Edited by BecciBoo

I would have asked to speak to a supervisor since the bartender complied with your request and a wait person took it upon themselves to turn it back up.....sounds like the wait person is more concerned with "their" interests than the guests.....I would have made at least one attempt to speak to management about it before giving in and vacating the area....

We did speak to a supervisor and we were told that Miami determines the music & volume for each venue so there was nothing they could do:confused:. There is a volume control on the wall & the bartender knew how to use it; apparently he isn't suppose to do that.

I agree with Gracie, if this happens on our Reflection cruise coming up, the bar manager (there is one on every ship) will be summoned no matter what the time. And we will have a little chat. There is NOTHING worse than not being able to carry on a conversation in the bar.

I prefer smooth jazz in my martini atmosphere, or at least easy listening. I am there to relax, enjoy good company and good martinis in that order. I do not go there to dance or listen to music. That should be a part of the background ambiance.

I once had to call in the bar manager on a Carni cruise because there were multiple tables with sticky glass rings and residue from the night before(this was on boarding day around 12:30!). He personally called a cleaning person who came with paper towels. But her ineptness prompted me to call him back to complain that she was not doing a proper job. She was called back this time with Clorox cloths and the tables were then clean. At least the manager did his job and you can expect him to do the same where the comfort of the guests is at stake. Persistence is a great persuader.

Make sure these problems are prominently displayed on your exit survey!!!:mad:

Also agree with Suntan. I do not go there to see a circus either. Take the bar tricks elsewhere, we're grown ups here.

See here is the difference, I don't like jazz with my cocktails or at any other time, but I do understand that others like it. Let's compromise, some times there will be jazz and some times there will be dance music, then everyone will be happy.

I do agree, let management know if you like or dislike the kind of music and the loudness, since that is the only way they will know how the majority feels. I know on my January cruise, if low music or jazz is playing all the time, I will let them know my feelings.

Edited by NLH Arizona

We did speak to a supervisor and we were told that Miami determines the music & volume for each venue so there was nothing they could do:confused:. There is a volume control on the wall & the bartender knew how to use it; apparently he isn't suppose to do that.

That excuse is getting very very tiring....and it's not true...Miami suggests a tone for various venues, but the cruise director and his staff can alter that. We have been on three cruises in the past year with quiet music in the Martini bar and one (hold on to you chair) where the music was actually annoyingly low that you could only hear occasional notes. If you want to blame someone, see the cruise director and if they say "miami made me do it" they don't understand their job.

Edited by ghstudio

We are just off the Silhouette and we went to the Martini Bar twice. Service was horrendous - for us, maybe not so for others. Instead of trying to be Tom Cruise in the movie Cocktail with their attempts to do their bartender "tricks", which failed miserably with glasses falling and breaking, and drinks being spilled over the bar instead of into the glasses, they would be better to serve their customers. Also, I agree turn down the music so people can have a conversation without having to yell over the music.

Totally agree. You don't know how many times I've thought to myself "okay, enough with juggling the bottles and cocktail shakers - just make my drink!" That "flair bartending" gets very old very quickly.

Pretty sad response frankly from the supervisor....too bad....and I agree with GHStudio that it's not a Miami thing, that's a cop out excuse from someone who doesn't want to take the initiative to fix a problem that has been brought them, always easy to blame a source that can't be reached.........I guess we'll just continue to spend our time at the Sunset Bar...........

Edited by Gracie115

Pretty sad response frankly from the supervisor....too bad....and I agree with GHStudio that it's not a Miami thing, that's a cop out excuse from someone who doesn't want to take the initiative to fix a problem that has been brought them, always easy to blame a source that can't be reached.........I guess we'll just continue to spend our time at the Sunset Bar...........

But you have to agree, the supervisor is on a slippery slope. If they turn it down, there will be folks that are upset and if they turn it up, there will be folks that are upset. How does he make everyone happy? He can't, so I guess he just places the blame elsewhere, so he doesn't have to tell someone that others like it the way it is and then they get more upset, because let's face it most only seem to want it there way and don't take into consideration what others might want.

Possibly Celebrity feels that the Martini Bar should be a more upbeat, fun atmosphere and the Sunset Bar be a more sedate, quiet atmosphere, so that everyone has a place that they will enjoy.

Edited by NLH Arizona

But you have to agree, the supervisor is on a slippery slope. If they turn it down, there will be folks that are upset and if they turn it up, there will be folks that are upset. How does he make everyone happy? He can't, so I guess he just places the blame elsewhere, so he doesn't have to tell someone that others like it the way it is and then they get more upset, because let's face it most only seem to want it there way and don't take into consideration what others might want.

Possibly Celebrity feels that the Martini Bar should be a more upbeat, fun atmosphere and the Sunset Bar be a more sedate, quiet atmosphere, so that everyone has a place that they will enjoy.

I actually think the martini bar should be upbeat and I don't even mind the repetitive techno music...but at a reasonable level. The ships are really designed very poorly for acoustics and very loud music in one venue really effects the others.

We agree that the Martini bar should be a upbeat, fun atmosphere and it was on our previous 7 Celebrity cruises. Where we differ is on the volume. When conversation becomes impossible in the Martini bar because of the volume of the music it is no longer fun. The Martini Bar is not a venue intended for dancing.

Quasar and the Sky Lounge are dance venues where we expect,and enjoy the louder music to dance.

That's what makes the M class so nice - the different areas truly are separated acoustically. I hope they go back to a similar design if and when they do build some new ships.

I was really worried about our recent Summit cruise, but it was fine as usual (and some venues did have louder music, despite the age of the clientele. It was really perfect, a nice balance (as it always has been). Now I know simply to avoid the S.

We agree that the Martini bar should be a upbeat, fun atmosphere and it was on our previous 7 Celebrity cruises. Where we differ is on the volume. When conversation becomes impossible in the Martini bar because of the volume of the music it is no longer fun. The Martini Bar is not a venue intended for dancing.

Quasar and the Sky Lounge are dance venues where we expect,and enjoy the louder music to dance.

Obviously some people have never been there when this kind of thing happens and just don't seem to understand the difference between loud and unbearable. I've been there for both. Same kind of music, but just a difference in volume. It is possible to have the same upbeat music at a high level without making it ridiculous.

Edited by Ma Bell

Hey Jelayne -- I was on your Solstice r/c for a while, but canceled that one in favor of taking Summit to Bermuda, last month. Sounds like you had a good cruise, other than this issue. :)

And (sigh), I wish I could tell you that the problem was just on Solstice. But, to tell you the truth, I haven't been able to hear myself scream in any Martini Bar on X -- in the last two years. For a while, we were all just battling to keep that thumping techno music out of other venues on the ship -- like the Ocean-View Cafe (at breakfast time). :eek:

On our last couple of cruises, we've found both the live and "canned" music to be venue and volume appropriate, with one BIG exception: Yep, you guessed it -- the Martini Bar! It was particularly disturbing on Century, last spring. They had just taken Michael's Club away (for the Zenith/Suite guests) and there weren't all that many bars left. But, it did not matter what time of evening you tried to go into the Martini Bar, or how empty it was, you couldn't find a place to get away from the loud music. The bartender just flat-out refused to turn in down. Many of us complained, and the Guest Services manager said that our comments would be forwarded to Miami. But, it doesn't look like anyone in Miami listened. :mad:

Well, we just got off Summit, and you still could not carry on a conversation with the person sitting next to you at the Martini Bar. Service was even affected, as you had to shout your orders to the bartender -- and hope that they correctly heard you. And, I do understand the "vibe" they are going for in the Martini Bar. They don't want guests that are snoozing to Sinatra. I just keep thinking that there has to be a happy medium, somewhere! :rolleyes: