trois islets of Martinique

boquer

A small ferry ride away is the lovely island of Trois Islets. It is a perfect mix of lovely beaches, French small street restaurants, and very interesting (if expensive) shops. Euros are a good idea, if not completely necessary. The ferry does take dollars.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Can you tell us the particulars of getting to Trois Ilets from the cruise dock area? and getting back? Is there a beach once you get there? thanks

Hello! We were there recently on Jewel of the Seas. Martinique is interesting and not a typical Caribbean port. We got off the cruise ship and walked through the small port shopping area over to the ferry boat. It was pretty well marked. We rode round trip to Point du Bout for $10 USD cash each. This was a nice little touristy town. We found an ATM for euros, a bakery, many shops, some restaurants, a "toilette" and the beach. The beach area is really small and backs up next to a resort. There are no services at all there. We stayed for a few hours and rode the ferry back to town where we got off the ferry and went straight to McDonald's for familiar food and WiFi. From there we tramped around the town area, went to the Fruit and Vegetable market, found another bakery, got some crepes and gelato at the park and had an enjoyable day. Everyone speaks French, very little English, they use Euros mostly - no dollars- and pretty much everyone we met was friendly. We bought a few things at the market and they were happy to negotiate the prices. There are really not many restrooms - so be aware of this.

Some of our CC friends rode the ferry on to the next beach and said it was really nice. In hindsight, wish we would have gone to Pierre and then tramped around town, but as it was, riding the ferry to Point du Bout was fun and we enjoyed looking around and trying to speak French.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are in Trois illets or Pointe du bout and need to see a piece of history, go to the Museum Pagerie, birthplace of Napoleonś wife Josephine.

Tiny museum, ruins of sugar mill and nice garden is 5 km from this place by taxi, entry is 5 Euro / maybe little bit expencive.../ and the guide girl speeks good english. I think, it is worth a hour of your time.

Closed on Mondays.

• 1 month later...
Yes thank you for posting. Now I hope that someone might provide insight on being in Martinique on a holiday? Do the ferries shut down completely?

We were there on a SUnday (Armistice Day) and the ferry ran to Pointe du bout only. MOst everything (including McDonald's by the ferry) were closed. Guess we'll soon find out if the ferries run on Good Friday!

• 5 months later...

We went to Martinique in March 2014 and it was a holiday. As my previous posts suggested - we didn't have a clue about what to do. So I am back to report out.

On this holiday - almost everything was closed. I had read on CC that for the holiday/Sunday - traffic can get congested - so we decided not to go it on our own with a taxi but stay in town. We did convert some dollars into Euros at the airport and glad we did (even though the rate wasn't "good" - we just wanted to have day money in our pocket). Glad we had the Euros as it saved us the time and trouble to find an ATM - the RCCL ship did not have Euros to exchange.

Meanwhile - on this holiday - there were festivities - a "Black and White" parade through town. We enjoyed the day of browsing and watching folks in the mardi gras outfits and visiting with locals at the parade. We did walk through the town - saw the ferry was available not too far from where our ship docked. We managed to find a café on the outer ring of the city and had a snack/soda/beer.

I think next time we go to Martinique - on a non-holiday/Sunday - we will take the ferry across the inlet. We may consider a ship's tour if it is a holiday/Sunday to see a bit more.

Hope this helps.