Did you buy the Cheers! Program ??

ttonnka3

Next time I will try to get some type of Dr's note since that's one of the exemptions and see if Carnival will accept it.

You can certainly try- but in pretty much every reported case, they don't care. As you stated, the program covers many non-alcoholic drinks, so not being able to drink alcohol is not a reason to not purchase the program.

You can certainly try- but in pretty much every reported case, they don't care. As you stated, the program covers many non-alcoholic drinks, so not being able to drink alcohol is not a reason to not purchase the program.

No, but if I got a note saying the I can't drink b/c of all the migraine medication I am on, that may work. I know everyone has tried. I even told my friends going to guest services was not going to accomplish anything - no one has ever been excused from the cheers program unless they're underage, pregnant or have a Dr's note. It just really does stink for those of us who have NEVER, in 41 years, ever had a sip of alcohol.

Maybe Carnival can come up with a different type's of drink packages like RC has. One that includes alcohol, one that includes frozen drinks, one that includes soda's, etc - that way you can buy the one that works best for you. I'd be more apt to buy a different type of drink package that catered to drinks I would actually drink.

Edited by erby2283

No, but if I got a note saying the I can't drink b/c of all the migraine medication I am on, that may work. I know everyone has tried. I even told my friends going to guest services was not going to accomplish anything - no one has ever been excused from the cheers program unless their underage, pregnant or have a Dr's note. It just really does stink for those of us who have NEVER, in 41 years, ever had a sip of alcohol.

Maybe Carnival can come up with a different type's of drink packages like RC has. One that includes alcohol, one that includes frozen drinks, one that includes soda's, etc - that way you can buy the one that works best for you. I'd be more apt to buy a different type of drink package that catered to drinks I would actually drink.

Pregnant and Dr. Note has been turned away too. Even with all the excuses people have, I have only heard of one case (on this board so I can not validate validity) that someone was allowed to be excused. Pregnant or Dr's note wont help

Pregnant and Dr. Note has been turned away too. Even with all the excuses people have, I have only heard of one case (on this board so I can not validate validity) that someone was allowed to be excused. Pregnant or Dr's note wont help

Thanks for the info. That's what Guest Services told my friends when they went down there (those 3 exemptions). As with most things, multiple answers to one question. I told them that I knew from reading CC that NO ONE had ever been able to get cheers without all cabin mates buying the program. All I know is it doesn't matter to me b/c I don't drink. :p

It only takes 5 Martinis to make it worthwhile. I feel I can try new drinks and if I don't like them I can pick something else without worrying about the cost. A mimosa at breakfast, fruity stuff throughout the day, a martini or two before dinner, a glass of wine at dinner and a couple of nightcaps before bed. I'm on vacation!

No, but if I got a note saying the I can't drink b/c of all the migraine medication I am on, that may work. I know everyone has tried. I even told my friends going to guest services was not going to accomplish anything - no one has ever been excused from the cheers program unless they're underage, pregnant or have a Dr's note. It just really does stink for those of us who have NEVER, in 41 years, ever had a sip of alcohol.

"May"- but exceedingly unlikely.

Underage is the only one of those that actually works.

Many many many pregnant women have been told there is no exemption (they can have virgin drinks; or could even choose to drink, in many countries that is common). People on medications have been told no exemption (they can have virgin drinks that are on the program). People with alcohol allergies have found they were SOL. It doesn't matter- Carnival's policy is if you are over 21 and someone in your cabin gets Cheers, you do to.

Possibly you'll find the one person on the one ship that will make the exemption, but it is highly unlikely to happen, and it is certainly not Carnival's policy.

<-- I don't drink (and on the next cruise will be pregnant). Therefore my husband doesn't get cheers. It's cheaper for him to PAYG when we add up the two package prices. (And PAYG he doesn't get much at all, cause we're cheap.)

Carnival does have a soda package- Bottomless Bubbles.

It would be nice if they had an unlimited non-alcoholic package; but they seem to think that falls under Cheers just fine (even though coffees aren't included.)

Edited by skittl1321

It only takes 5 Martinis to make it worthwhile. I feel I can try new drinks and if I don't like them I can pick something else without worrying about the cost. A mimosa at breakfast, fruity stuff throughout the day, a martini or two before dinner, a glass of wine at dinner and a couple of nightcaps before bed. I'm on vacation!

EXACTLY!!!!! Do I like paying $7-$800 for a 7-8 day cruise for booze, an astounding, NO!!! Am I going to? YES!!!! We go on at least 3-4 cruises a year, if I think about doing the math, it makes me groan a little. That's at least 3 more cruises that we could go on. Am I going on a cruise and not drink because of the cost? That would be a NO again. Do I wish the Cheers card wasn't so expensive, that would a yes. The cruise lines make a huge profit on the booze, but for the cost of a cruise alone I would say not so much. But this is IMHO.

No. 4x50x2 is a bit over $400 when you also add the 18% gratuity. They count the day you get on the ship, but not the day you get off. It's easier if you think of it as nights. How many nights are you sleeping on the ship?

. You can get to the port around 11:00 and you will be on the ship generally in Long Beach by about noon.

In addition to the taxes per drink while you are still docked in Long Beach. You will also pay taxes when you are anchored off the coast of Catalina.

Have a great trip!

The tax on drinks has nothing to do with the cheers program itself. Even if you don't get the cheers program, if you order drinks while not in international waters, you pay the tax..

I have cruised with Cheers and without Cheers. I have never hit the 15 drinks a day, however I have always gotten even on port days 6 drinks in which is typically the break even point. I will cruise with Cheers but that is personal preference. You need to decide on a 4 day cruise with half a day in Long Beach, two days in port and one sea day will I hit the break even point. If the answer is no then it is not worth it.

On our cruise last summer, my wife was pregnant and they let me buy Cheers without her paying. We asked at guest services, they called the ship's bar manager, and he came down and personally rang us up. He even threw in the unlimited soda package for her at no extra cost. It sounds like we were lucky, but it does sometimes happen.

On our cruise last summer, my wife was pregnant and they let me buy Cheers without her paying. We asked at guest services, they called the ship's bar manager, and he came down and personally rang us up. He even threw in the unlimited soda package for her at no extra cost. It sounds like we were lucky, but it does sometimes happen.

you are the '1' I have seen on all of cruise critic. You have posted this before.

never heard of another case

I have two questions -

1. I just saw in another post that the Cheers package has been reduced to 12 drinks a day instead of 15 - does anyone know that to be true? Carnival site still says 15.

2. If I want to buy a Fun Ship, which comes in a souvenir glass, but I'm not allowed to have the souvenir glass with Cheers, will they make it for me in a regular cup? I love that drink :D

Thanks!

I have two questions -

1. I just saw in another post that the Cheers package has been reduced to 12 drinks a day instead of 15 - does anyone know that to be true? Carnival site still says 15.

2. If I want to buy a Fun Ship, which comes in a souvenir glass, but I'm not allowed to have the souvenir glass with Cheers, will they make it for me in a regular cup? I love that drink :D

Thanks!

Yes to 2. I know that much, because you can get it in a regular cup. I always buy from bar, not from being passed around, as they are typically melted.

we've never bought it, and never will. I can't imagine spending that much or drinking that much. Now, if it included coffee and soda, then well, no still too much to spend but a bit more realistic for us. We're cruising with a kid. I need to stay sober most of the time, not drinking that much.

On our last cruise cruise, dh bought 1 bucket of beer, then with our Gold drink ticket he got a rockstar to have the next morning and I got a coffee for that night. That was it (plus the $15 for dr. suess breakfast and tips) that we spent on board.

Now, when in port, dh will go back out and drink a few $1-$2 beers. If I didn't have kid, I could be a bigger drinker, but honestly, 1 or 2 a day would be enough for us.

Cruise before that, we got 2 for 1 margaritas the last night. The two before that were Disney, so brought our own. We drink more when we bring our own, but still not enough to cover cost of Cheers.

I have two questions -

Thanks!

Where is the info that has it going from 15 - 12. Just curious...

That really surprises me, but I'm glad for you!

Went to guest services last Carnival cruise to request an exception to buy Cheers without my cabin-mates having to and they flat out refused, even after escalating it to management.

Dilemma for me is that DH and I have been cruising other lines where we have grown accustomed to a beverage package, but then I go on my yearly Carnival cruise with my two best friends who are more budget-conscious and won't spring for Cheers.

Cheers isn't even that good (bottled water not included), compared to the other lines' unlimited packages, but it will save me money. As others have noted: Only need 6 or so drinks a day to break even (Bloody Mary in the a.m., couple of afternoon drinks, couple glasses of wine at dinner, and 2 or 3 evening drinks and I'm ahead financially).

At the end of every CCL cruise my sail and sign is 2 and 3 times that of the other girls'.

All three of us are well past the Platinum mark... You'd think Carnival might be able to see by our Sail and Sign histories that I am not trying to "cheat" them by sharing Cheers with my cabin mates. I simply am willing to spend more than they are on beverages.