Jewelry Sets or Random Pieces

I just bought a new necklace that I love. It will go with many outfits I presently have.

But, it is not in a set so I have been putting together what I will wear with it.

The necklace has a turquoise pendant and silver chain. I will wear silver hoops and a turquoise stud for earrings. I also have a silver and turquoise bracelet. Everything is very understated so I think they will look great together.

My question for you jewelry fashionistas, Do you wear sets or do yo put pieces together randomly?

• 3 weeks later...

I love artisan jewelry, one off pieces mostly,though I do have 2 Tiffany bracelets on today. So other than matching metal colours I dont have sets. For cruises I usually make my own chainmaille jewelry to match my outfits, I often end up gifting them all to people who admire them.

• 1 month later...

I don't care for the look of sets.

I do like to coordinate my jewelry in ways that probably no one else notices: if a necklace had a round pendant, I'd pick round earrings and a bracelet with round links or I'd wear all garnet jewelry, for example.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I don't do sets--don't like the look. But, I do coordinate pieces that 'go' together, but are not matchy-matchy, as Clinton and Stacy would say. So, for instance, I may have a silver and turquoise necklace, silver earings and a coral bracelet. I'm learning not to always match metals, but that ones harder for me.

Miss that show!

I never wear "sets." To me, they are too often large and gawdy, and often look tacky and cheap, and I don't much care for the matchy-matchy look anyway. I prefer a more elegant, understated look, occasionally with a single statement piece. My personal feeling is that if you wear one really large or loud piece, it needs to stand on it's on rather than be accompanied by similar other pieces.

On a daily basis, all I usually wear is my 3-stone diamond ring, diamond studs, and short Tiffany necklace (infinity symbol with tiny diamonds in it) and maybe a silver link bracelet. Other pieces I add regularly, so always pack them for travel, are a couple of Alex & Ani bracelets that I wear together, and a long silver chain with a turquoise pendant. I frequently wear just black and white so it adds a great pop of color. On rare occasions I will add a large cuff bracelet, or on even rarer occasions, a large-ish collar-style statement necklace. If I wear either, then I generally wear nothing else besides my diamond ring and studs.

Years ago I read the quote (Chanel, I think), "Get completely dressed and then take off a piece of jewelry." It stuck in my mind as a great piece of advice for dressing well without overdoing the accessories, and has been a major influence on my sense of style. :)

99% of the time I wear individual pieces but I do have 2 sets that I love......I bought a Greek key design necklace and

earrings when I was in Greece a few years ago......the necklace has a blue lapas stone in the center around sterling

silver. The earrings are just silver........I do wear these together and love they way they look:)

And the other is a set made in Israel......they are not the exact same design but they are a set.......they have beautiful

colors in them......necklace and earrings.........

But other than that? I have lots and lots of earrings (they are really my weakness;)).

Lois, would you like all of my earrings? :p

For some reason that I don't know, I have recently just stopped wearing earrings! My hair covers my ears anyway so nobody ever saw them. But I always had to buy matching earrings whenever I bought a new necklace.

Thanks for awakening me to the fact that things don't need to match (I have a matchy matchy phobia I think, lol).

I'm retiring in 26 days so life will be more casual and I'll probably rarely wear jewelry anyway. Will get rid of a lot of what I have and just keep the favorites.

Lois, would you like all of my earrings? :p

For some reason that I don't know, I have recently just stopped wearing earrings! My hair covers my ears anyway so nobody ever saw them. But I always had to buy matching earrings whenever I bought a new necklace.

Thanks for awakening me to the fact that things don't need to match (I have a matchy matchy phobia I think, lol).

I'm retiring in 26 days so life will be more casual and I'll probably rarely wear jewelry anyway. Will get rid of a lot of what I have and just keep the favorites.

Hi Sandy, you are retiring in less than a month? CONGRATULATIONS:D

Hi Sandy, you are retiring in less than a month? CONGRATULATIONS:D

I know, I absolutely can't stand it! So impatient for August 8th to get here (my 62nd birthday).

I'll be getting rid of a lot of work clothes, jewelry, shoes, purses. I'll be sure to give them to a special place for homeless or low-income women needing clothes for job interviews.

I probably won't be on Cruise Critic that often as I only view it at work (tsk tsk).