Let's discuss diving in Bonaire

BillOh

There is a couple of things I'd like to discuss here, but feel free to poke in any related facts or tidbits.

My next dive is going to be in Bonaire. I'l like any recomendations, but if you have any experience with the dive provider that Royal Caribbean uses, I'd like to hear that. I've done official cruise line and private dive companies and am aware of what to expect with both.

On some cruises where it is my wife and I, I usually check with the provider to see what their policy is with non diving "Bubble watchers". My wife doesn't mind this and enjoys being out in the sun on the boat while I dive. However, on this trip we are cruising with another couple and I thought perhaps my wife could go with them on another excursion. That couple may want to snorkel as Bonaire has a good reputation for that as well. I'm not sure how I would feel going on a dive excursion by myself. I know the boat won't leave with me in the water if my wife is on board ;) She would notice this. :D

I just checked and Royal's official offering is a 2 tank boat dive at a "marine park" comments welcome.

Edited by BillOh

All of the shore line of Bonaire is a Marine Park, so the cruise line's statement that the dive will be in the Marine Park is about as helpful as telling you it will be in water.

In Bonaire most of the diving is shore diving. I'm not usually a fan of shore dives, but Bonaire it's that good.

I was just there in November, and can strongly recommend VIP Diving (https://vipdiving.com/guided-dives/cruise-ship-dive-package/). You pay a bit more than you may expect, but you get everything you pay for. Our guide for the day Daniel Groener (if you want to ask for him, he's great) met us at the pier, exactly as promised. We then went to their shop for check in. We had our own gear, but the price is the same regardless of whether you have your own or use theirs. theirs was excellent quality. The price includes nitrox, assuming you're nitrox certified (You can get this easily at home before leaving, as a nitrox course doesn't require dives. click the link below if you have questions, or can't find a convenient course. Then your guide will sit down with the group (maximum four people in the group) and you'll decide what two sites you want to dive. We chose sites that were out near the oil terminal. Your desires are the primary consideration, not what's closest to the shop or easiest for them.

They have relatively new crew cab pick up, so the four of you and your guide are quickly and safely to the sites you choose. Between dives, they provide a true lunch, not just snacks.

Upon return to the shop, they have excellent facilities for cleaning any gear you have, and then - without any rush - they return you to the port.

They were entirely a first class operation in every way.

Harris

Denver, CO

I can't help you out regarding the dive ops that cruise lines use - my experience in Bonaire has been extended dive vacations on the island. We have always used Buddy Dive and their operation is very good. They have boats for getting to those sites that aren't shore dives. You would need to get in touch with them if you wanted to go that route. I'm not sure about them furnishing guides for shore diving - again, you might want to contact them. Bonaire is known for it's shore diving and basically the entire ecosystem surrounding the island is a marine park. Klein Bonaire has some of the best snorkeling in the world - it's like being in an aquarium. See it before it goes away - there are more cruise ships visiting Bonaire every year with the attendant problem of humans impacting the ecosystem - everything from coral-killing sunscreen to nincompoops handling and stepping on coral to feeding the fish. If you are able to get a guide for some shore diving from Buddy (or anyone else), do it - it's a great experience and something you'll have in your diver profile. One dive site you can hit from the shore is the wreck of the Hilma Hooker - shore entry, snorkel out to the buoys, and descend to the ship at 100'. There's plenty of YouTube videos about this dive. A second shallower dive, close by gives you some reef action. Good luck and good diving - I wish was going!

I wouldn't worry too much about the boat leaving without you. Hopefully you'd keep the dive leader in sight throughout the dive and either surface when he/she does or at least finish diving your air somewhere near the boat so you could see them try to leave without you :rolleyes: Also, if you're still down, so should be your buddy and leaving two divers behind is harder than just one :eek:

Seriously, I can't help you with RC's dive operator, but it's a fair bet that they'd do boat dives rather than shore dives, even in Bonaire. Check the shore ex description to be sure. I'm heading there on Princess next month for the first time and have made arrangements to use VIP for two shore dives...

Edited by Av8tor

I used VIP as a single diver (no Buddy) while my other got with some friends and rented a golf cart and travelled around the island. They ended up finding us at one of our stops and had a blast exploring. I was with another couple and a DM. We didn't get to chose our sites but went to Sweet Dreams and the Salt Pier. I don't care what op you use but you HAVE to dive the Salt Pier 4-5 ft resident barracuda and the micro is pretty phenom too.

VIP was good if only for the small group, gear was good but I didn't get that warm fuzzy feeling from them didn't really seem to be "having fun" just doing the job. It was pretty rough getting in as it was windy but worth it when you got under. Overall one of the best sites I have been to but not the best operator.

They got me back in PLENTY of time to rinse gear, log the dives, get my stamps and back to the Village to shop. So don't worry about that. Lunch was great actual food not snacks. Neat to learn about the history of the island from our DM as well. Overall good day but next time I would have to try a different op.

PS all the diving is shore and not worth getting on a boat to go out. there are thousands of spots you can just pull off and get in the water. You will see all the entries marked with Yellow named rocks and some "other" methods. look for the flip flop trees, etc.

Edited by Shattered__minds

Not to be argumentative but . . .

As I said, Bonaire is known for it's shore diving - I do it, I enjoy it. There are cautionary notes to the shore diving experience that need to be expressed though. The shore entries on Bonaire are generally (but not all) through iron shore - and you need to be wearing booties. The wave action with uncertain footing can be problematic - especially if one has little experience with shore entries. You can approach the entry a couple of ways - gear on or gear off depending on your comfort level. A shore entry in this environment can be problematic if a diver has a weak knee or leg. Sea urchins in Bonaire also present a problem with shore entries - especially since you are not allowed to wear gloves.

As I said - not trying to be argumentative or discourage shore diving but don't discount the boat diving on Bonaire. There are many dive sites around the island of Klein Bonaire that are only reachable by boat and they are truly memorable.

Hope this helps - enjoy!

• 2 months later...

In Bonaire most of the diving is shore diving. I'm not usually a fan of shore dives, but Bonaire it's that good.

I was just there in November, and can strongly recommend VIP Diving (https://vipdiving.com/guided-dives/cruise-ship-dive-package/). You pay a bit more than you may expect, but you get everything you pay for.

Harris

Denver, CO

I ended up picking them, but will do only one dive :(. Thanks for the recommendation. I am doing one dive to be back at the ship to meet my wife and friends for an afternoon catamaran snorkle excursion. I'll come back to this thread and report on my dive and possibly post some pictures since it will be related to your recommendation it will be allowed.

Thanks again. 5 weeks to go!

• 4 weeks later...

I did get an email this weekend confirming my reservation and inquiring about my diving experience. It followed with instructions on where to meet the guy at the port. I'll have my go pro and report back in about 3 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Less than a week and I'll be diving in Bonaire. This will be part of my trip report in the Royal Caribbean forum, but with the new forum software, I don't have to resize pictures I may post a bunch here in about 2 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is 17 minutes of my dive. If you have a youtube app on your TV search wmccall vip diing Bonaire and search new to old. I'm watching this on my big screen and its amazing