Vista Suites on O-ships, good or bad?

golfguyhhi

I have read several times that the Vita suites on the Riviera and Marina are undesirable because the wind blows so strongly on sea days that the balconies are unusable.

I've also read that one only need step back a foot or two from the balcony railing and the wind flows up the superstructure and past the balconies, leaving them quite usable.

Can anyone who has sailed in an O-ship Vista suite shed any light on this issue?

I really would like to sail in a Vista, as my recent experience in an Oceania suite wasn't as great as I hoped it would be, what with vibration, engine shudder, winch noises when running lines in and out when docking and leaving port, and a constant low thrum-thrum-thrum noise when at sea.

If you were unhappy with ship related noise in an Oceania Suite, you won't be any happier in a Vista.

They are cheek and jowl with the fore-deck, where the lions share of the docking activity takes place (and always at the very crack of dawn).

oceania-cruises-riviera.jpg

Wind is definitely a factor in using the Vista balcony unless the ship is in port. and when the ship is sailing, lighting on the Vista verandas must be kept to a minimum so that the Captain and his officers can see to navigate. Drapes must be drawn at dusk on forward facing windows for the same reason.

160209.jpg

All of that said, the views are absolutely devastating, and like nothing else which you will ever experience on a ship, unless you go to Captain School. :p

imagejpg1_zpse1b7f5a7.jpg

We were in a Vista suite in mid-November in the Med. Since it was generally too cool to sit on the deck, we used it primarily when we were coming into ports. The views were spectacular. The suite itself is beyond decadent. We would do it again, in a minute. Of course, we got it for a friendly price, on an upgrade.

Yes if your going to use your deck don't book the suite. Also once we when to a cocktail party-they had the deck door opened a little (about 1/4) when the front (entry) open it was a wind tunnel thur the living room.

Doesn't the same effect occur though in any cabin when the entry door and balcony door are open at the same time?

Doesn't the same effect occur though in any cabin when the entry door and balcony door are open at the same time?

Yes...but even worse your opening your cabin door and leaving it will destroy the ventilation system for 6-8 cabins around you making you very popular when they are told it was you who screwed them over and deprived them of AC, VENT and Heat, ( the system works on positive pressure, an open door in on cabin of a series in the system destroys the vent ability):rolleyes:

Foward facing cabins like vista, will have a 25 mph wind any time the ship is moving and to that add any relative wind... You can most times count on a 30-35 mph head on blast on most conditions except docking. When at anchor the ship will swing to align with the wind and again you get the full force of the wind onto your veranda:o

Foward facing cabins like vista, will have a 25 mph wind any time the ship is moving and to that add any relative wind... You can most times count on a 30-35 mph head on blast on most conditions except docking. When at anchor the ship will swing to align with the wind and again you get the full force of the wind onto your veranda:o

That is a little dramatic Dan, but Vista Suite verandas are windier than most on the ship.

That is a little dramatic Dan, but Vista Suite verandas are windier than most on the ship.

A few years back we had a Vista on one of the R ships. Loved the suite, loved the views but the verandas could not be used on any day the ship is moving. Don't think we would do that again unless it is a great deal. :(:(

A few years back we had a Vista on one of the R ships. Loved the suite, loved the views but the verandas could not be used on any day the ship is moving. Don't think we would do that again unless it is a great deal. :(:(

I guess that is what Jim and Stan would call dramatic.....I call it Trumatic:rolleyes:

With a following wind the ship,sailing at 18 knots,, the wind at 18 knots , the wind apparent will,be zero across the deck or balcony. So it all depends on course and wind direction !

There are lots of variations on this theme. The Vista verandas are not always too windy, but they are usually too windy when the ship is at sea.

Port entrances and exits are exquisite!.

With a following wind the ship,sailing at 18 knots,, the wind at 18 knots , the wind apparent will,be zero across the deck or balcony. So it all depends on course and wind direction !

True but as any good captain/navigator knows you want to head the ship up into the wind. or with a quartering wind..there is a reason that the bridge is FULLY ENCLOSED and the bridge above is called the Flying Bridge..

the odds are very much against having a zero relative or apparent wind....but hope spring etrnal

There are lots of variations on this theme. The Vista verandas are not always too windy, but they are usually too windy when the ship is at sea.

Port entrances and exits are exquisite!.

Agree that port exits are great, but as to entrances they are so early that we mostly sleep thru them until the ship drops anchor or ties up to the dock. Then it is mostly pretty noisy. Never had a calm day at sea in the 24 days we spent in the Vista. Would not pay much up charge for one next time. A PH is good enough for us, especially on the O ships.

Dan , nothing is one hundred percent certain , I have certainly seen the old rising smoke on board a yacht , it going straight up and hanging around the deck as we sail along !

you are wrong, DEATH AND TAXES... don't know about anything else.

Agree that port exits are great, but as to entrances they are so early that we mostly sleep thru them until the ship drops anchor or ties up to the dock. Then it is mostly pretty noisy. Never had a calm day at sea in the 24 days we spent in the Vista. Would not pay much up charge for one next time. A PH is good enough for us, especially on the O ships.

PH is perfect for a couple, but too small if you entertain as we do.

PH is perfect for a couple, but too small if you entertain as we do.

I envy you. We don't know enough people to entertain. Maybe if we wind up on the same cruise you will invite us. Sounds like it would be wonderful. :):):)

I envy you. We don't know enough people to entertain. Maybe if we wind up on the same cruise you will invite us. Sounds like it would be wonderful. :):):)

I hear what you are saying, but Cruise Critic is the BEST antidote for making cruise friends and you're already here :D

b_172419.jpg

Stan and I try to host the CC Meet & Greet (even I couldn't do justice to that in Suite Bar setup without throwing a cocktail party or three!) so you're assured of an Invitation whenever we cruise together!

x_230133.jpg

Cruise Critics are THE nicest people on the planet.

I hear what you are saying, but Cruise Critic is the BEST antidote for making cruise friends and you're already here :D

b_172419.jpg

Stan and I try to host the CC Meet & Greet (even I couldn't do justice to that in Suite Bar setup without throwing a cocktail party or three!) so you're assured of an Invitation whenever we cruise together!

x_230133.jpg

Thanks much. Would be a great pleasure to meet you sometime in the future. I do see you have our Vodka. Over the years your post have been very useful to us and I am sure to a lot more of the people who use these boards. Especially the great photos. Look forward to seeing you soon. Richie

b_172419.jpg

x_230133.jpg

Gentelmen, I can not fault you for taste and style.... you have the nack...... my hat it off to you.

( I assume the trays of cracked crab and claws and oysters are out of the picture)

Jim and Stan,

We're in 11080 for Marina's trans-Atlantic in December. Just did 6088 on Regatta (Owner's Suite, but same as Oceania Suite on the big ship) and we were unhappy with the amount of engine noise and line-handling winch noises. Will the 3-deck difference, plus the larger size of the ship yield a quieter trip in 11080?

We were in 11083 on Marina and found the departure noises quite incredible. Not to mention the obvious vibrations.

But they didn't last long. We were never bothered (as far as I can remember) with morning noises.

Jim and Stan,

We're in 11080 for Marina's trans-Atlantic in December. Just did 6088 on Regatta (Owner's Suite, but same as Oceania Suite on the big ship) and we were unhappy with the amount of engine noise and line-handling winch noises. Will the 3-deck difference, plus the larger size of the ship yield a quieter trip in 11080?

No.

If noise is an issue, go for Deck 12.