Civitavecchia port to train station

Julise67

Can anyone tell me if it is easy to get to the train station in Civitavecchia to catch Rome train? I believe there is a shuttle from the ship to the Port gates but is there any shuttle to the station and do they run frequently? Is it walkable? How easy is it to get trains back from Rome? We just don't feel like sitting on a coach for hours.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is a shuttle from the ship to the port entrance. Then it is a 10 to 15 minute walk to the train station

1 hour train ride

http://www.civitavecchia.net/travellers-trains.html

1 1/2 hrs by bus, depending where you are going and 1 hour and a bit by car, again, depending where you are going.

The trains make several stops so you need to know where you want to get off.

wait times are dependent on how many decide to take the train and how many ships are in port that day.

I see someone posted Toms Guide. It is an excellent resource.

Edited by pete_coach

As "pete_coach" mentioned there are a number of train stops in Rome so make sure you get off at the stop closest to the attractions you are interested in seeing. The Vatican station is the first one in Rome and if memory serves me correctly, if you stay on the train until the Termini station, you'll be riding another 25-30 minutes because of the way the train loops around Rome. Also at the tourist office at the port entrance you can buy a combo ticket for the train and metro in Rome and the price is not much different than the train ticket.

Make sure you find out exactly where the train station is before you set off. We left the shuttle bus drop off at the dock gates and walked a considerable way. There were signs directing you to the station but we never found it. :eek: Fortunately for us we did not intend to catch the train!!! :D J

There is a shuttle from the ship to the port entrance. Then it is a 10 to 15 minute walk to the train station

1 hour train ride

http://www.civitavecchia.net/travellers-trains.html

1 1/2 hrs by bus, depending where you are going and 1 hour and a bit by car, again, depending where you are going.

The trains make several stops so you need to know where you want to get off.

wait times are dependent on how many decide to take the train and how many ships are in port that day.

I see someone posted Toms Guide. It is an excellent resource.

Get off at Vatican station ...before the insanity of Rome central station... I forget the name but it is a small station and grab a cab.... Rome central station is a huge hike to the front and you will encounter ever sort of con artist and other interesting sorts along the way.... This holds true too for arrival by train to Venice.... Get off at the last station before Venice, way nicer and less problem potential;p

Get off at Vatican station ...before the insanity of Rome central station... I forget the name but it is a small station and grab a cab.... Rome central station is a huge hike to the front and you will encounter ever sort of con artist and other interesting sorts along the way.... This holds true too for arrival by train to Venice.... Get off at the last station before Venice, way nicer and less problem potential;p

The station closest to Vatican is the San Pietro station. Having said that, you won't see much unless you have pre arranged a tour or tickets to get in. The line ups are very long.

You do not have to go all the way to the end, Tremini Station, as there are other stops along the way to get you closer to the Colosseum or the Forum or other sites. Figure out what you want to see and select a stop for that.

The last stop before Venice Santa Lucia station is Mestre, which is the city on the mainland. The only way to Venice is by train over the causeway or by city bus from Mestre Station to Piazzale Roma.

The station closest to Vatican is the San Pietro station. Having said that, you won't see much unless you have pre arranged a tour or tickets to get in. The line ups are very long.

You do not have to go all the way to the end, Tremini Station, as there are other stops along the way to get you closer to the Colosseum or the Forum or other sites. Figure out what you want to see and select a stop for that.

The last stop before Venice Santa Lucia station is Mestre, which is the city on the mainland. The only way to Venice is by train over the causeway or by city bus from Mestre Station to Piazzale Roma.

I suggested the San Pietro station for people leaving the ship and staying in rome.

You must hire a guide to get into the Vatican museum... as you by-pass the line ( which can be over 3/4 of a mile.) Have your guild meet you at the remote station. Return to the ship via San Pietro also....

Yes Mestre, its a 15 min cab ride and you bypass all the problems of arriving in Venice ''crossing the canals . the people-non mover etc. I think 30 euros. The cab goes direct down that causeway and straight into where your ship is docked dropping you and your bags at the gangway!!! not hassle no walking all over the place for almost a mile.... I have done this several times....

I suggested the San Pietro station for people leaving the ship and staying in rome.

You must hire a guide to get into the Vatican museum... as you by-pass the line ( which can be over 3/4 of a mile.) Have your guild meet you at the remote station. Return to the ship via San Pietro also....

Yes Mestre, its a 15 min cab ride and you bypass all the problems of arriving in Venice ''crossing the canals . the people-non mover etc. I think 30 euros. The cab goes direct down that causeway and straight into where your ship is docked dropping you and your bags at the gangway!!! not hassle no walking all over the place for almost a mile.... I have done this several times....

When we were there a couple of years ago we caught another bus from the port gates where the shuttle dropped us off. We immediately got on the train and went right to the station by the Colesseum & Forum. Very easily done. Check out the ports of call section, there is always a thread about doing this.

I believe that you were speaking of taking the train into Venice Santa Lucia station and likened it to arriving at Termini station in Rome, vice going to a ship.

If the OP was going to a ship, he can easily take the vaporetto (water bus) from right outside Santa Lucia to the ship docking area and get a nice ride down the Grand Canal, for much less than a cab from Mestre.

With luggage staying on the train to Venice SL is perhaps not the best idea. (Getting onto a very busy vaporetto with a suitcase and carry on is close to being a nightmare!) Walking over to the Piazzale Roma and taking the "People mover" to the cruise port involves lots of steps. So really the easiest way is to get off the train at Venezia Mestre and take a local cab to the cruise port. Current rate is €35 and this will take about 20 mins. Taxi rank is right outside the Mestre station...

With luggage staying on the train to Venice SL is perhaps not the best idea. (Getting onto a very busy vaporetto with a suitcase and carry on is close to being a nightmare!) Walking over to the Piazzale Roma and taking the "People mover" to the cruise port involves lots of steps. So really the easiest way is to get off the train at Venezia Mestre and take a local cab to the cruise port. Current rate is €35 and this will take about 20 mins. Taxi rank is right outside the Mestre station...

+2 Thats the best way in my opinion....done it several times that way. gets you to right to the gangway of the ship...no lugging luggage steps, crossing bridges, then walking and walking almost a 1/3 of a mile down the pier... not fun You inky have to take your luggage from the Mastri station to the cab...100 feet... and you wont have to touch it till it:hearteyes: is in your room.

+2 Thats the best way in my opinion....done it several times that way. gets you to right to the gangway of the ship...no lugging luggage steps, crossing bridges, then walking and walking almost a 1/3 of a mile down the pier... not fun You inky have to take your luggage from the Mastri station to the cab...100 feet... and you wont have to touch it till it:hearteyes: is in your room.

My point and response is still "I believe that you were speaking of taking the train into Venice Santa Lucia station and likened it to arriving at Termini station in Rome, vice going to a ship."

Equally, I have taken the vaporetto and found it quite convenient.

My point and response is still "I believe that you were speaking of taking the train into Venice Santa Lucia station and likened it to arriving at Termini station in Rome, vice going to a ship."

Equally, I have taken the vaporetto and found it quite convenient.

My concern with the Vaporetto, is many times, according to time of day the boat may be full and you have to wait a bit. The second concern in even when you can get on, it is a favorite place for pick pockets.... second only to Pisa That said it is a fun cheap way to see Venice But still your going to have to lug your stuff from the rail station.... and then quite a long trudge from the dock by your ship.... they have 4 LOOOOOOng piers. Depending on where the ship moors

Too if you arrive early, and you book at the Regina, they have a desk in the airport and their own private custom launch that will take you into Venice and to the hotels private dock as the hotel is right on the grand canal.... worth the $$$$;p