Inquisitive RCI First Timer - Allure Oasis Harmony

Hi all,

I've recently gotten engaged so started looking on these forums recently for ideas on how/why/where/what/when to cruise. Both my fiance and I have never cruised before so the information on here is great.

I have loads of questions to ask so would be eternally grateful is some more seasoned pros could help me out with the answers.

Our preference would be one of the Oasis class ships, leaving April 2018, around Western Caribbean - Labadee, Falmouth, Cozumel.

Allure leaves 8th April

Harmony leaves 14th April

Oasis leaves 15th April

Now here comes the questions! :)

The Harmony is slightly more expensive, which I take it will be because it's the newer ship? Are there any significant differences between the 3? ie. if we book Allure/ Oasis at the cheaper price, it's not because the ship is any less/ missing something?

Have we chosen correct in that these 3 would be perfect for a honeymoon? Another couple we know went on Celebrity Reflection for their honeymoon & thought it was perfect (they mentioned less kids).

I understand a junior suite does not afford all the benefits that say a grand or crown loft suite would include?

Suites include a cocktail happy hour in one bar in the evening. We're both moderate drinkers, so should we include drinks packages? I know there's been many discussions on here regarding the drinks packages/ increased prices... generally it looks as though around 80% of drinks are included? some high end cocktails are extra and then discounted wines.

Can you purchase drinks packages now when booking? but I've seen some people talk about checking their cruise planner for offers closer to the time? When do drinks discounts generally appear?

Booking directly via RCI website seems to work out a lot more expensive than travel agents online. Any reason to this? I'd be concerned that with booking with a TA and not being able to confirm a room upon booking that we may be stuck with a restricted view/ obstructed room.

Is room service complimentary for all rooms? or just suites? and i understand the room service menu is greater for suites? and also there are suite-only menus in some restaurants as well as auto-reserved seating at entertainment shows. We're veering towards a suite simply because we don't want the fuss of having to queue/ waiting around for getting into shows. That plus priortiy embarkation.

How do they turn the cruise ship around so quickly for next batch of passengers? It sounds like passengers leave between 7-9 in the morning and the new passengers are ready to board at 10. Is this normal or are they just super quick at cleaning/ turning things round?

Again, apologies for the questioning, but thanks in advance for everyone's knowledge and experience with the answers!

The biggest differences between Harmony and the other Oasis class ships are the addition of both wet and dry slides to Harmony, and the lack of the pool in the Solarium on Harmony.

As far as discounts in the Cruise Planner, there's no "generally" or "typically" with RC. Just keep checking the Cruise Planner regularly.

Edited by clarea

Yes, you are correct about a JS....while it's a lovely, spacious cabin, it doesn't have the "suite perks"...but of course, you aren't paying the "suite" price, either!

If you book a suite and only want to drink during "cocktail hours"....then you probably don't need a package. You can buy anything without a package, if you want the odd beer or drink during the day.

Room service is free to all cabins except for late evening hours, but suites have an expanded menu.

Yes...they will want you OUT of the cabin by 8am...and off the ship by 10 am..they work very hard and very fast to get the ship ready for the next batch of cruisers! Your cruise ends when you go to bed the last night..departure morning is rush, rush and GO!

Edited by cb at sea

One quick answer. We just did the Harmony in Dec. And had a great time. All three ships are great. The Harmony has two great slides. The answer is in regards to turn around. On our last two cruises, Navigator in Europe, you cant get to your room till 1.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Another thing that may sway your decision is the main show(if your into Broadway shows) I booked the Oasis last year over the Allure mainly because it had Hairspray (which we love) and Allure had Chicago. Now of course they switched it before we sailed so we were stuck with Cats. I personally would book Allure because of Mama Mia (again love it) and I would like to try Samba Grill.

Oasis-Cats

Allure-Mama Mia

Harmony-Grease

(Funny too because we've never seen a show on Broadway, but have seen Mama Mia in Vegas and on their farewell tour but love both recent movies of Mama Mia and Hairspray)

Typically, the actual prices are all in the same ballpark, no matter where you book. The difference is in the perks you get, a TA may give you some free on board credit (OBC), some free specialty dining or excursion credit etc.

The other big difference is when you book with a TA, you have to go through them to make changes to your booking, but if you book direct you can talk to Royal yourself.

If I were cruising for my honeymoon and knew we could afford it, I would definitely pick a real suite (not a Jr suite) for all the perks including appetizers in the suite, happy hour drinks, and specialty coffee on the Allure of the Seas for reasons including the show Mama Mia and just the name itself is darn r-o-m-a-n-t-i-c!!;) Oh yeah, don't forget to have a "romantic roses bouquet" sent to your suite too!!!:cool: Lucky girl for sure!!:D

Edited by SilkySal
correct spelling

If you are looking for a cruise with fewer kids, the timing will be more important that the ship. Cruises are full of kids during times that schools are on break. School spring breaks are in March and April. Ours is the week following Easter (April 1), but the later you go in April, the fewer kids you will probably have.

Harmony is the only one of the 3 ships that has slides, if that matters, although I have heard they are planning to add slides to Allure and Oasis - not sure when.

Have a wonderful, romantic honeymoon!

If you are looking for a cruise with fewer kids, the timing will be more important that the ship. Cruises are full of kids during times that schools are on break. School spring breaks are in March and April. Ours is the week following Easter (April 1), but the later you go in April, the fewer kids you will probably have.

Harmony is the only one of the 3 ships that has slides, if that matters, although I have heard they are planning to add slides to Allure and Oasis - not sure when.

Have a wonderful, romantic honeymoon!

If they do add slides to Oasis and Allure the earliest would be at their next dry dock which would be 2019 for Oasis and 2020 for Allure.

Thanks for the replies - I think we're going to go with Grand Suite in Allure. Cannot wait.

Are the speciality restaurants included in the suite price or are they still extra?

Included for Star Class suites. Grand Suite is a Sky Class.

With regards to the OP's question regarding turn-around, it is virtually an "all hands" evolution for the entire time in port. The cabins will not necessarily be ready for occupancy at the time that boarding starts. Most ships announce the times that each deck is available, and they are generally all ready by noon or so. Until the cabins are announced as ready, the fire doors will be closed, and passengers will not be allowed in the cabin areas to drop off carry-ons, etc.

The way the ship handles turn-around is that staff like wait staff, and bar staff, whose venues are not open on turn-around day, will be used to unload, load, and distribute luggage, load stores, load provisions, etc. It is a well disciplined and choreographed ballet to get it all done in the time allowed. Spa staff and gift shop staff will also be down on the I-95 deck to take custody of their supplies and move them to the shops as required.

Cruise ship turn-around is a quite amazing effort, similar to emptying a 5000 person hotel in one day, and bringing in another 5000 guests that same day. I'm not sure a comparable sized land hotel or resort could handle this operation.

it's definitely impressive to turn it around in that time and have people boarding with lunch and into their rooms by lunchtime!

I see people say that you should check cruise planner and reserve shows/ dinner around 90 days prior. do we still need to do this if we book a suite? or is dinner/ shows reserved when we're on-board? also - would we still need to purchase a speciality dining package if wanting to eat in those places? or again, is that included with suite?

I see people say that you should check cruise planner and reserve shows/ dinner around 90 days prior. do we still need to do this if we book a suite? or is dinner/ shows reserved when we're on-board? also - would we still need to purchase a speciality dining package if wanting to eat in those places? or again, is that included with suite?

If you are staying in a full suite (GS or higher) you will not need to make reservations for any of the shows except for the Comedy Club (that is a smallish venue and does not have reserved seating for Suites/PC). You can just show up for whatever show you are interested in at least 15 minutes ahead of time and you will be able to sit in the Suites/PC reserved area. 10 minutes before the show starts, the reserved seating area will be opened to the general public so you will no longer have a guaranteed seat after that.

If you want to eat in a specialty restaurant more than a couple of nights you will probably be better off with a dining package. You can purchase that before you board or after you board. The advantage of purchasing it ahead of time is that you pay for it up front, which keeps your final onboard bill down. Of course, if you purchase a Star Class Suite then your specialty dining and your drinks package (along with gratuities) are included in your fare.

IF you are thinking about ANY kind of beverage package IMO it would be a good idea to figure out how many drinks per day you would BOTH need to consume before you get beyond the break even point.

Now, there are people here who will tell you they bought the package for convenience and assuming that whatever they order it will actually BE included in their package level. I understand that thinking and I agree it is nice to simply glide up to a bar or wherever and not worry as to whether or not you are going to have to pay something extra.

But, as an example, at $96 a day times seven days that's $672 and if the automatic gratuity is added in the resulting figure means a LOT of drinks per day to break even. Only you can do the math.

As to how to book: over the past many years we have used regular TA's , the company itself, as well as discounters. I was told a long time ago that I should never, EVER "pay the brochure price" and I try not to. If you want to see just how "dscounted" some of these cruises are simply take a look at some of the discounter websites: you'd be amazed at what the cruise lines do to move inventory in a definitely overbuilt market like the Caribbean.

Edited by Bootman4U

We love the Oasis class ships! The last 2 times we have sailed in a GS and it was so nice!

You have the Coastal Kitchen (for suites and pinnacles) which is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The menu is somewhat limited but the food and service is great and you don't have the crowds like at the Windjammer or MDR. They also have a little buffet set up in the Suite Lounge and an expresso/coffee machine for your use. We ate most of our breakfast and dinners there. If you have MTD ( at the regular dining room) you don't have to wait in line, just go up to the person at the front and show them your card, they will get you in right away. You may have to wait a couple of minutes but not long.

The "Happy Hour" is from 5:00-8:30 every evening in the Suite Lounge with free drinks (mixed drinks, beer, wine). This does not include smoothies or blender drinks. They have a little menu of the alcohol and beer/wine that is included in that. But, everyday after 11:00, you can get free soft drinks, beer, or wine.

As far as the shows, like someone said, just show up a little early. I'd say 30-15 minutes early. The seats are in good spots.

For room service, you can order from the MDR to your room as long as the dining room is open. We have not done this, but I have heard that it takes 40-50 minutes. The first time we were in a suite the menus were in folder in our room. The last time we cruised in December we had to ask the room steward for the menu. Once he knew we were interested in maybe ordering dinner to the room, he left the dinner menu every day. So you might have to ask.

Don't forget about the Suite Sundeck. Very nice area with comfy loungers and chairs and cabanas(first come basis) and it's own little bar. It is not right at the pool, it is above. They do have a little shower area if you want to cool off.

Also, the concierges are there in the Suite Lounge to help you with any questions that you might have. Sure beats standing in line at Guest Services. They were very helpful with a couple of situations that we had.

Hope this helps. I just know that we had lots of questions before we were in a suite for the first time.

Have a beautiful honeymoon and congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by rkkunk

One thing to keep in mind -

Your dates are in April which is peak SPRING BREAK season. All of these are 7 night cruises so you will get a lot of families with a lot of kids. Cruises outside of spring break, holidays and summer will have a substantially fewer number of kids on board (perhaps a few dozen kids vs. hundreds of kids).

This may not bother you so if it does not, no reason for worry. For us though, we'd never consider being on a cruise during any of those times mentioned as it can be a completely different experience than you'd get outside of those times. It is your honeymoon so you want it to be special and memorable for the right reasons.

If you think this will have an impact on your enjoyment, you may want to consider delaying your trip a few weeks if it's possible. If not - go for it.

Edited by Sascol

Brilliant - thanks very much for the info. everyone! Been really helpful in helping us choose. We booked the Allure - Western Car - Grand suite :) I still can't believe the price difference between TA online and direct with RCI. We're saving £1,700 going with TA, plus they're throwing in $200 on board credits for us.

To previous poster - is the drinks package $96/day each? Or was that for both of us? I thought it was around 40-50$ ? If so, we would definitely get the value of it. Few mixed drinks/ cocktails through the day, btl of wine with dinner and drinks again into the wee hours. I'll just keep checking our planner closer to the time for package discounts.

We actually get married on Easter Sat 2018 (31st Mar), will chill for a few days and then fly. I've looked online and Spring Break looks to be a bit earlier in the year ( not familiar with US academy calendar) so hopefully we'll be ok with the timing!

Thanks again to everyone - will definitely stay on here for useful info. and post my own of course when I'm in a position to add my tuppence worth! :)

• 1 month later...

I found this thread to be most informative, but I do have one question....

My daughter is getting married next year. I assume that we book her honeymoon under her maiden name as that is what is on her passport and she won't have her "official" marriage license.

Is that correct?

I found this thread to be most informative, but I do have one question....

My daughter is getting married next year. I assume that we book her honeymoon under her maiden name as that is what is on her passport and she won't have her "official" marriage license.

Is that correct?

Yes, the easiest way is to make sure the booking name and passport name are the same. Deal with the name change and new passport after the cruise.

One thing to keep in mind -

Your dates are in April which is peak SPRING BREAK season. All of these are 7 night cruises so you will get a lot of families with a lot of kids. Cruises outside of spring break, holidays and summer will have a substantially fewer number of kids on board (perhaps a few dozen kids vs. hundreds of kids).

This may not bother you so if it does not, no reason for worry. For us though, we'd never consider being on a cruise during any of those times mentioned as it can be a completely different experience than you'd get outside of those times. It is your honeymoon so you want it to be special and memorable for the right reasons.

If you think this will have an impact on your enjoyment, you may want to consider delaying your trip a few weeks if it's possible. If not - go for it.

Actually, Easter in 2018 is on April 1st. Most schools will have their spring break immediately before that. Some will have it the week after. By April 14th, you should miss the spring break crowd. I run an annual group cruise and did a LOT of research on the different universities' breaks before I also selected an April 14th cruise out of Fort Lauderdale.

To answer your last question about the drink packages, they're currently running about $44 per day. That means it's "worth it," if you both average about 4 drinks per day.

Have a great honeymoon!