shroe excursions eastern caribbean

nyislesfan

Hi all, we will be traveling with my 3 yr old niece - trying to decide on what to do in san juan(3 - 12), st thomas(7 to 6), and tortola (7 - 2). Any ideas what would be geared towards a toddler. Thanks for the help. Debbie

HI,

i am not sure what ship you are traveling on, but we have gone on both NCL and RCCL w/my son. he was 16 mos and 2 1/2 respectively. we made sure we stuck to basically beach type excursions, where we had access to facilities and umbrellas. one of our stops in aug is san juan and i am planning to go to the san juan marriot, i called them and they offer a day pass to use their pools, facilities and the beach is right there. i forget how much it was, but i know it was very reasonable. when we went to st.thomas last year, we did coral world, which is like a small aquarium, very cute for the kids and then they took us to the beach for a swim. i also tried to take the early excursions, so i could be back on the ship in the afternoon to let him nap. so basically, if you are flexible, you will have a wonderful time!

good luck,

gina

HI,

If you can get to Magens Bay on St. Thomas it is incredible. Small beach with facilities. In Tortola there is a ferry to Virgin Gorda and you could go to the Bath. Huge rock formations and a small scenic beach. It is about an hour ferry back and forth I think though so might be much for a toddler.

Hi! We were in an Juan and St. Thomas with a 2.5 year old.

I would suggest hopping in a cab in San Juan first thing. Pack a collapsible kite. Go to the fort. Great place for kite flying, and it wll give your niece a good place to run free for awhile. Beware the fort itself, as there are some tricky spots with a pre-schooler. Then, you can walk back toward the ship through Old San Juan (downhill). If you like, find someplace for a nice dinner.

In St Thomas, we took Godfrey's tour, and had him drop us at the beach next to Coral World (Cokie's?). It's a good beach for small kids. No waves (at least when we were there) and it stays shallow for awhile. You can snorkel from the beach.

I would just mention that in both ports, the sidewalks and streets are both very narrow and congested. I would consider a stroller for safety's sake, even if your niece rarely uses one at home. Just mae sure it has large wheels to handle uneven surfaces. Failing that, I would just prepare her for the fact that she needs to always be holding an adult's hand and must always walk on the building side of the sidewalk.

Enjoy your cruise!

HI,

when we went to st.thomas last year, we did coral world, which is like a small aquarium, very cute for the kids and then they took us to the beach for a swim.

good luck,

gina

We did Coral World and loved it! Our friends all made fun of us cause we booked coral world. But let me tell you, the kids loved it. They had an undewater observatory that was ON the ocean. They had all of these huge lizards just walking around the area naturally. We got so many funny pics with the lizards. They had a starfish and other sea creature "petting area". It's a beautiful place and so much fun for the kids.

Archived