Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Mexican Riviera

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Mexican Riviera Includes: Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Loreto, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Pichilingue/La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Topolobampo & Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico

Old December 9th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default For those taking a MX Riviera Cruise from San Diego CA

Just thought this would be a good place - since I never consider the embarkation or disembarkation points as ports when I'm researching.

For those of you leaving San Diego and who plan to spend a day or two there, you can purchase an all-day tripper for only $5 each that will allow you to take any of the trolleys (trains) or buses in SD. Between the two, you can visit anywhere - Old Town, Seaport Village, Balboa Park, or you can even take a train to Tijuana, Mexico.

Although our luggage mass didn't allow us to use it to go to or from the airport, it's a great way to see the city while you're there.

Old December 9th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Thanks for that info. Could you tell us a good place to stay? We are going on the spirit March 16th. We will be there 1 day before and 2 days after. Thank- You Kathlyn

Old December 9th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Many have given good reports on
Holiday Inn On the Bay
1355N Harbor Dr
San Diego CA
92101-3321
619-232-3861
It is right across the street from the dock - you can watch the ship come in if your room is in the right spot probably. It's also pretty close to the Santa Fe depot where there's a trolley (train) stop. I would probably stay there for convenience if I were returning.

Last edited by Cruise2End; December 9th, 2005 at 06:07 PM.

Old December 9th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Kathlyn: It appeared that a good many cruises stay at the Holiday Inn on the Bay. It is right accross the street from the Cruise Ship Terminal. In fact that is where I will be staying when we do the Mexican Riviera aboard the Mercury in April. Good Luck.

Royal Caribbean
Crown & Anchor
Diamond Member

Old December 10th, 2005, 09:49 AM
50,000+ Club

We have stayed many times at the Embassy Suites - within sight of the pier. Costs about $4 - $5 from ship to hotel. We use the hotel shuttle to get us to the pier.

It is within walking distance of Seaport Village and Horton Plaza.

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 13th, 2005, 08:27 AM
-

We just stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Bay. It is indeed RIGHT across the street from the pier. We had a room on the 4th floor facing ther pier & what a sight to behold watching the Mercury come in! Their shuttle took us directly into the terminal & we were on board in less than 10 minutes from leaving the hotel!

Got the room for just around $75 on Priceline!

Old December 13th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Can you tell us what "area" and star level you chose to get the Holiday Inn on Priceline?
Celebrity Century 10/03
Holland America Zuiderdam 8/04
RCCL Mariner of the Seas 10/04
Disney Magic 1/05
Sapphire Princess 8/05
Carnival Conquest 10/05
Celebrity Mercury 3/06
Holland America Oosterdam 10/06
Norwegian Pearl 3/07
Carnival Liberty 8/07
Uniworld River Baroness 9/07
Dawn Princess 1/08
Celebrity Constellation 3/08
Crown Princess 2/09
Adventure of the Seas 3/09

Jackie & Jim Vernon

Old December 14th, 2005, 09:11 AM
-

It was the downtown area & I believe it was 3* (might have been 4*) It seemed all the hotels Priceline has to offer in that area were nice & close but this one is the closest!

Old December 14th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have stayed at the Hampton Inn which is close to the pier.
Carnival-Tropicale-1996, Carnival-Fascination-1997, Marine Expeditions -Disko- 1998, Celebrity-Galaxy-2000, RCI-Sovereign of the Seas-2001, Carnival-Destiny-2002,NCL-Sun 2003, Dawn Princess 2004, Star Princess 2004-05, HAL-Oosterdam 2005, Amazing Grace 2005, Carnival-Spirit 2005-06, Golden Princess-2006, RCI-Adventure of the Seas-2006, NCL-Norwegian Dream 2006, RCI-Mariner of the Seas-2007, 2007 Peter Deilmann's MS Deutschland, Carnival Victory-2007, Carnival-Imagination 2007-08, NCL Spirit 2008, Sapphire Princess 2008, Carnival- Triumph 2008, Carnival- Valor 2008-09, NCL-Dawn 2009, Diamond Princess 2009, RCI-Navigator of the Seas 2009, NCL-Majesty 2009,Celebrity-Summit-2009,NCL-Jewel 2010, Diamond Princess 2010, NCL Pearl 2011,Caribbean Princess 2011, NCL Spirit 2012, NCL Epic 2013, NCL Sky 2013, Carnival Victory 2014, Carnival Imagination 2014.

Old December 16th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise2End
Just thought this would be a good place - since I never consider the embarkation or disembarkation points as ports when I'm researching.

For those of you leaving San Diego and who plan to spend a day or two there, you can purchase an all-day tripper for only $5 each that will allow you to take any of the trolleys (trains) or buses in SD. Between the two, you can visit anywhere - Old Town, Seaport Village, Balboa Park, or you can even take a train to Tijuana, Mexico.

Although our luggage mass didn't allow us to use it to go to or from the airport, it's a great way to see the city while you're there.
THANKS FOR THE INFO. WE ARE STAYING AT THE HOLIDAY INN. WHERE DO YOU PURCHASE THE TRIPPER?

COUNTDOWN TO JANUARY 13TH MERCURY

Old December 18th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

We stayed on Coronado Island. There are several cheap water taxis/ferries that go from the island to San Diego and it was so nice to be just that little bit 'out of the way' (in a good way). There are some very good restaurants on Coronado or it's just a quick hop across the water to SD itself. Departure day we took the ferry from the island and it docked right next to the cruise ships. We walked maybe 1/2 a block, no traffic hastles! I'd highly recommend staying on Coronado.

Old December 19th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise2End

Where do you purchase this?