What are your most used phone apps when cruising?

txflood33

Most of us have smart phones now a days....what are the apps you have found the most useful while cruising...either on board or in a port.

Please let us know if the app requires wifi....because many won't have that on the boat or when wandering around foreign cities.

What apps do you rely on when cruising or planning your cruise?

Honestly, I do all of my research prior to the cruise and the majority of it happens on the internet. I may grab a guidebook from the library and ask friends or family for advice when needed.

As far as on the ship, the most useful app for me is the Kindle app so that I can read while lounging on deck and such. I also love puzzles, so download various games ( word search apps, sudoku..etc) just to have little activities to do during various downtimes. None of those things require an internet connection. I know none of these apps are travel or cruising related but that is pretty much what I use when cruising.

http://www.gpsmycity.com/

over 6000 places for self guided walks, free basic down load or a paid for version. Don´t nned to be connected to use the info

There´s also TripAdvisor city guide apps plus many others

these re the ones I´ve noted, but haven´t used them yet

Favorite Phone Apps for travelling

• Second is map my ride. Which will monitor where I go and what I've fine Great for walking ports and using up those calories the ship brings

• Spotted By Locals -- Over fifty cities around the world, with information from people who know the low down. Can be accessed offline.

• App Box Pro: has just about every little "thing" I can need - a good calculator, currency converter, measurement converter, tip calculator, flashlight, mirror, Google apps…

• We use skyep

• I just started using Trover. Fun way to find things you may want to see in any given location.

• SKY WALK (on my iPad) a must for cruisers,,,

• U pack it.. It's an app to help you pack. Love it!

• Word Lens. No data connection needed and language packs are free now. Word lens works so-so in my limited experience but I think it might help you make reasonable guesses about words you don't recognize. Block fonts (e.g., signs) work better than weird fonts (e.g., menus).

• GPSmycity

They have both free walking tours themed for sights, shopping, restaurants etc, and a purchasable version to customize your walks.

I've saved money on self-guided tours on 4 continents.

• GoodReader, we use it copy copy everything we can think of, maps, confirmations, descriptions etc.

• Another vote for Tripit. I just have the free version, and it's great! I'm thinking hard about getting Tripit pro.

HTH

Sandy in Spain

White Noise

We sleep with a fan on at home, but didn't want to have to travel with one so I downloaded this app to my phone.

It has a variety of different background noises (fan, wind, rain, waves, etc) for those of us who have to have some ambient noise to sleep.

Tripit Pro. All my travel info goes there. I can set each trip so that I can allow people I want to know where I am for each part of the trip (in case they need to contact me in an emergency). Handy if you are doing a group, too - everyone can access the info in one spot for all. Can use online/offline.

App box Pro. All sorts of little applets inside - converter, calculator, virtual wallet…use offline

Google Translate. use online.

Maps. I use it to find my way when walking, find locations, use it as my GPS when drving in unfamiliar territory. Use online.

Kindle app for iPad. For when I want to read…

Those are my standards. I have other things depending on where I'm going/what I'm doing. A few games to keep me occupied on flights, my music, specialty apps (like Katie Parla's Rome so I can find the best restaurants), and some podcasts for self-directed walks/tours.

I'm not exactly tech savy. How do you use the apps off line?????

Do you simply go to "settings" and click on Airplane mode??

or just click off Wi-Fi???

If you turn off wifi, iPhones revert to your data plan for internet connection. So, if you want "offline," you would need to do "airplane" mode. It will stop both wifi and data plan connecting.

Of course, if the app requires the internet to function completely, "airplane mode" will render it ineffective.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I travel with iPad as a way to daily back the photos off the camera. If I get wifi, I can send off a few BEST shots to my home addy and/or those of friends and family.

Beyond that I play game to fill time. We fly to get a cruise and you need something in the airports!

Most of my games are the free versions. Any which get too pushy with ads are dumped but for a good free games I know the trade I am making. I have upgraded a few after trying. However, there are also little search apps which find apps free for today only. (It is a bit of a shell game as the same app will be free many given days.) Grab one of these and then in the months ahead of your cruise, find several free games you can play off-line.

If you are the same kind of geek as me -- big IF -- then you may like Blek, 7 Words, Voro, 2048, Red Herring or GearedHD.

Tetris and Candy Crush to relax and enjoy on the sundeck or while waiting for anything (show to start, dinner, etc). The camera function to take pictures and post (for the memories :)).

Forgot about the calendar, to remind myself what time the ship comes/ leaves port (don't want to be left behind, I'm not fast a runner)

Edited by maywell

On board:

Just Audible (to listen to audiobooks), and Boggle and Scrabble (games) (all off line).

On shore (before, ports, or after cruise):

TripIt, Xe currency convertor (both off line, but Xe can work off line or on-line if you want currency updates)

TripAdvisor, and various location-specific apps (eg local bus lines, local attraction apps) (all on-line). I download ahead of time any local apps I think I might want - the bus service in Honolulu, the train service in Spain, the Coach Museum guide in Portugal, etc.

I am not sure why some like to hijack a thread for their personal agenda but I have a number of apps I use for a cruise.

I keep most of my important document digitally on my iPad. I use sharpscan pro to scan my credit cards, passport, cruise documents, airline tickets, and hotel reservations and forward them to Box. I like Box better then dropbox because I can set Box to view these documents off line. I think this is important because you will not always be connected.

Another app I like is Simply Declare. This app keeps track of your purchases in a convenient place. It will also change the currency to where you purchased the item to your home currency. It will then subtract the amount from your allotted for duty free so you know how much you have spent. You can also scan receipts.

I also think its important to keep track of my flights home. I use the apps for my airline. I also like Trip Case. Trip Case is one of the few apps that will give you all alternative flights incase a problem arises. While others are scurrying to find alternative flights you will have that information in seconds.

Shak

The OFF button is the most helpful feature of my smartphone. I'm on vacation and I want peace from the daily grind and frenzy of home.

^ Same for me. As soon as we leave port, the phone goes off and it put into the safe not to be seen again until we arrive at the disembarkation port.

I still like to read real books not so much the ebooks but I do have an Ipad I read on the plane and then it goes in the safe as well when we get on the ship.

Who has hijacked this thread?:confused::confused: Seems like every post I have read is on topic.

In my thinking if you are not using an app why would you bother responding to a thread that asks what app you find useful.

Shak

In my thinking if you are not using an app why would you bother responding to a thread that asks what app you find useful.

Shak

For some people NOT using an app is the most useful. So these people aren't allowed to voice their advice? Is this forum only for the technologically addicted? Are people who aren't tethered 24/7 to their devices now substandard humans in your view, and aren't allowed to participate in discussions? Is it wrong for someone to say that they haven't found an app that they find useful on a cruise?

Edited by swsfrail

For some people NOT using an app is the most useful. So these people aren't allowed to voice their advice? Is this forum only for the technologically addicted? Are people who aren't tethered 24/7 to their devices now substandard humans in your view, and aren't allowed to participate in discussions? Is it wrong for someone to say that they haven't found an app that they find useful on a cruise?

Right.......and when someone makes a post asking about favourite cocktails, I'll post that not drinking alcohol is the best way to enjoy a cruise.