Tampa hotel? Driving from Orlando Int and overnight before cruise

smedley_odwin

Hi,

We are cruising out of Tampa on the 14th November. Flying into Orlando International the afternoon before and driving over. Looking for a cheap and clean hotel for the night before, won't be looking to do much other than crash really, hiring a car one way to drive from Orlando to Tampa with Alamo too, so will be looking to either drop that the evening before, or maybe somewhere near the port in the morning and taking a shuttle over to pick up the cruise, I believe there is an Alamo at the Westin which would provide us a shuttle to the port?

Any ideas gratefully received :)

You might also look at hotels near the airport (easy car drop off), were staying at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport Westshore. Good hotel rate, good reviews on Trip Adviser, free airport shuttle, think there is a set $25 charge to take up to 4(?) to the port. Seems like hotels near the airport do this, where the hotels near the port don't have free shuttle from the airport but do to the port.... But have read there are a couple hotels do both.

The hotels in Brandon, Florida tend to be much cheaper than in Tampa itself and are only about 10 miles from the port. Nearly all the brands (i.e. Holiday Inn Express, Fairfield Inn, etc) have locations there. You'd need your car to use these hotels as they're right off I-75 but you'd have plenty of time to return the car to Alamo the morning of the cruise.

Another hotel idea would be Ybor City, the Cuban historic district in Tampa. This is a nightclub/restaurant district ideal for a weekend night stay. There is a Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn. Not as cheap as Brandon though. There is a railroad (TECO Line Streetcar System) that could take you from Ybor City to the port in the morning if you want to return your rental car the night prior. One station is right by the Hampton Inn. Travel time to the Port of Tampa is about 10-15 minutes.

BobK/Orlando

The LaQuinta Tampa Airport is a budget-friendly hotel right off of airport property. It is a decent, clean hotel in a safe location directly across from the International Plaza Mall. There is a 24hr IHOP adjacent and a lot of corporate areas surrounding..... so a decent area for a budget hotel.

The LaQuinta offers a pay-per person shuttle to the port. I can't recall the amount but am thinking $8 or $10 pp.

You could return the car to the airport then either take the LQ shuttle to the port or a taxi which has the flat-rate fare of $25 for up to 4 passengers.

http://www.lq.com/en/findandbook/hotel-details.tampa-bay-airport.html#.VQmKnLB_nIU

**** I do believe that there is an Alamo located at the Westin Harbor Island. You may want to call to double check but they used to provide a courtesy shuttle. https://www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rental/locations/location-details/US/TPAC71-westin-alamo.html

---------- As a local, I just want to give you the heads-up to be very selective if you find a good deal at a hotel that is in either the Fairgrounds or Stadium area. There are a lot of budget hotels that are down right seedy and nasty. Read the reviews if you may be inclined to book in these areas of Tampa. -----------------------------------------------------------

I would personally look in the following areas:

Airport

Ybor

Westsore

Rocky Point.

*** Downtown Tampa Port area is convenient but they are $$ and at most you will need to pay to park your rental car.

Good luck to you.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

I HIGHLY recommend the Tahitian Inn in Tampa. They have a marvelous park and cruise rate, with timely, efficient shuttle service. They are a family owned "boutique" hotel, and we have stayed there several times. Each time gets better and better. I believe their web site is http://www.tahitianinn.com. We thoroughly enjoyed their onsite restaurant and the pool area was quaint and lovely.

You should be able to drop the car at TPA and then take advantage of the cruise packages offered by hotels in the Rocky Point area (Chase Suites, etc.) that include both airport and port shuttles.

I live here- do NOT stay in Brandon or Ybor. Stay close to International or West Shore! I would recommend a Hilton.

Why not Ybor or Brandon?

I'm not familiar with the Tampa area. Where is West Shore? Is there a particular Hilton property that you recommend?

Why not Ybor or Brandon?

I'm not familiar with the Tampa area. Where is West Shore? Is there a particular Hilton property that you recommend?

Westshore is the area near the TPA airport - lots of hotels, dining options, stores and the International Plaza mall is nearby.

Why not Ybor or Brandon?

We stayed at the embassy suites Westshore and were happy py with the selection. Very nice hotel, managers reception in the evening and a great breakfast. The hotel is across the street from the Westshore mall and a block away from a Walgreens.

We stayed at the embassy suites Westshore and were happy py with the selection. Very nice hotel, managers reception in the evening and a great breakfast. The hotel is across the street from the Westshore mall and a block away from a Walgreens.

We stayed there a few years ago and the price was ok but really want to stay there for an October cruise but the prices have really gone up. Loved the hotel but wonder what you paid and possibly if the prices will go down before then.

We stayed there a few years ago and the price was ok but really want to stay there for an October cruise but the prices have really gone up. Loved the hotel but wonder what you paid and possibly if the prices will go down before then.

We went in April and paid around $95 for the night. Be sure to look up the price using the Hilton MVP site if you are an honors member.

http://stay.hilton.com/mvp/

Why not Ybor or Brandon?

I'm a local also so may be able to give my opinion on the above.

Ybor City has a reputation for a heavy party crowd.... especially after dark and especially on the weekends. Think Mardi Gras and you can get a good idea of what the atmosphere is at night.

With that being said, nothing wrong with it if you enjoy a good, loud party vibe along with others that also enjoy. Just be aware of your surroundings as the area has a high volume of petty crime such as pick-pocketing and such. Just be careful and mindful and you will be fine.

As far as Brandon, I do not see any issues with this area. It is mostly coroporate type hotels and such. Some traffic congestion around certain areas during rush hour and not a heck of a lot to do. There is a large mall , Brandon Towne Center, with some decent shops and restaurants but not sure how far this would be from a Brandon hotel without a car.

**** I have heard good things about the Hampton in Ybor as far as being convenient for the cruise crowd. It is fairly near the port and offers a parking plan and a shuttle. I have not personally stayed there but it seems to get a lot of traffic from fellow CC'ers and good comments and ratings. Just be careful if venturing into Ybor at night. During the day, a great place for good Cuban food and history... restaurants, museums etc.... At night, a great place too..... just be mindful.

WESTSHORE- is an area near Tampa Airport. It is somewhat of a corporate area. There are many hotels, restaurants and two malls within the area...... International Plaza an Westshore Mall. It is a decent area 5 min from the airport and a 10 min or so ride to the port.

As far as Hilton properties, in the Westshore area there is an Airport Hilton, Westshore DoubleTree Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn Westshore. I have not stayed at any of the three but from a drive-by point of view, The Hilton Garden seems to look the nicest from the outside..... can't give an opinion on staying there but it just seems to be in a nicer, calmer more serene setting. For for what it's worth.... that's my 2 cents.

Have a great time.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

• 2 weeks later...