Considering MSC

RMS Olympic

Looking at the new Opera for next year out of Ft Lauderdale (she pulls in on Dec2 after her transcanal).Its Italian so I am very interested in her. Although the write ups on her older sister the Lirica were less than glowing, the company is working on its product and has hired a lot of big names from the industry to help.
Does anyone have any experience sailing on MSC, any of their ships?

Just called MSC to find out what the story was on the OPera next year. She will sail on Dec 4 on a 7 day eastern Caribbean cruise....prices aren't bad. My TA has never dealt with them before so this should be interesting...I am gonna experiment and book a standard outside.
Hey..its italian......yummy......I'm hoping it will be what Costa was before they Carnivalized. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Hello Capt Tom
I did MSC in 9/01. It was a Europe cruise so may have been set up different in US. On my cruise people were on and off at all the ports. We got in in Genova, Italy. Every port some people disembarked and others embarked. Announcements were made in about 6 lang. and English was last. The food was good not excellent. Service was good. Shows one was enough do to language differences. Price was very good and they also gave we a wonderful cabin.
I loved the ports and meet some wonderful people but wasn't overly impressed with cruise line.
If I can answer any questions I would be happy to try.
Ask travel agent to check up on the embarking and disembarking at all the ports because it was a pain in Europe.

Bev

Celebrity Summit 4/2004
Carnival Paradise 4/2002
MSC Melody 9/2001
Reniassance R7 9/2000
Carnival Triump 9/1999

went last year on the melody on 11 night eastern caribbean.had a fantastic time.food was very good and very different.more variety of fishes,meats etc then mainline cruises.shows were absolutely and fantastically campy.almost like drag vaudeville we never had more fun in our lives than at these shows.you need to try it.would go again.crew very european and very good looking and fun.hope this helps

Thanks for the reports. I will plan on either a Dec 2005 or Feb 2006 sailing depending on their schedules. The cruise MSC discussed with me over the phone was for Dec 2004 not 2005 like I requested...so I have to wait.
It will be very interesting to see how they develop since they have a very agreesive growth program. I heard they intend to put 2 ships into the Caribbean on a permanent basis which is just the opposite of Costa who pulls everything out in the summer.
I have great hopes for this line and although they are going to make an attempt to clean up their short comings, I hope they do not become to Americanized....having something different from the homogonized Carnival corp lines or that of RCI would be a nice change.
Thanks again.

Archived