Bistro on 5....I tried, really, I tried

Muushka

We have eaten here at least 10 times. My husband loves it, me, not so much.

I find the food to taste like leftovers heated up. Not fresh in the least.

I've tried about 5 different ones without any that I would call 'good'.

So my question is, anyone else have this problem or is it just me? I always read great comments about it here on the CC.

Also, is there something special that you order, maybe in a different way from the menu,

that might make these bad boys taste better?

We enjoy getting away from the MDR (especially on long cruises) and this is a great alternative.

Thanks!

We have eaten here at least 10 times. My husband loves it, me, not so much.

I find the food to taste like leftovers heated up. Not fresh in the least.

I've tried about 5 different ones without any that I would call 'good'.

So my question is, anyone else have this problem or is it just me? I always read great comments about it here on the CC.

Also, is there something special that you order, maybe in a different way from the menu,

that might make these bad boys taste better?

We enjoy getting away from the MDR (especially on long cruises) and this is a great alternative.

Thanks!

I too cannot understand why people rave about Bistro on Five. The food is boring and not at all what I consider to be Bistro food. I do wish they would change the menu. By all means keep some of the dishes but they should turn into into a proper Bistro. It's really just a creperie with a few extras.

We ate there once last year on the Solstice and I loved it. I like savory crepes and I thought these were very good. I don't know how a crepe could be pre-made. The filling maybe, but not the crepe itself.

Never tried breakfast there but we are looking at the Solstice for a cruise down under, so I will get my chance.

Truth is that crepes do keep well when placed in an airtight plastic bag and stacked with waxed paper between the layers. Recipe sites often say 'up to five days.' So it's possible....perhaps that's what the OP encountered.

And no, I doubt that that's what most professional creperies do. 'But as a homecook, I've done it,' she said shamelessly.

is this the place where the food is gratis but the coffee drinks, etc cost extra? So you can actually eat there without paying extra? Or am I thinking of another restaurant?

Have not been on X before.

I believe you are thinking of Café al Bacio. The food at the Bistro on Five is $7 per person and you can order whatever you want off their menu.

I loved the salad ... crepes were so so.... the crepe portion was thick and overcooked and the filling was barely warm ... cheese didn't even get a chance to melt. We were really hungry but were somewhat bored with the crepe by the time we were 1/4 of the way through. We only tried the savory crepes so cannot speak for the sweet crepes.

The atmosphere is phenomenal, though....and the price is low so worth it sometimes to eat in a lovely atmosphere.

I too cannot understand why people rave about Bistro on Five. The food is boring and not at all what I consider to be Bistro food. I do wish they would change the menu. By all means keep some of the dishes but they should turn into into a proper Bistro. It's really just a creperie with a few extras.

We like Bistro on Five.

There are several Bistros in our area and no two are alike. As said in the Wiki definition: "Bistros are defined mostly by the foods they serve."; therefore, I assume "Bistro" is in the eye of the beholder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bistro

Glad others don't understand why some people rave about bistro on 5.

With my love of sweet or savoury crepes, and the reviews we had read, we decided to try it.

Talk about abysmal! We were the only people in the soulless place, yet it took over 30min for our luke warm, rehashed tasting food to arrive.

Some may say: well you didn't give it a chance if you have only eaten there once; I say: if it was a restaurant in my town I wouldn't bother going back, so I won't on a ship either.

Sad really - I was so looking forward to a nice crepe. Now, the fresh waffles at the breakfast buffet -mmmmm, could eat them all day, then be rolled off the ship at the end of the cruise.

Cheers, h

Sent from the nether world using magic

Not too bad - salads and desserts. Most "dishes" were poor, almost like left-overs, in our opinion. Service on two occasions was terrible even though the place was almost devoid of customers!

Better meals and snacks available elsewhere on the ships.

Yes, I would definitely say that sometimes the food is much better than others but it is not "outstanding" food to begin with. The attraction for me is just to go somewhere that is a little more peaceful than the buffet or MDR. It's nice to have a break.

We tried it for lunch on our recent cruise having heard and read good reports but were disappointed in the food and would not go back again. Service was good though. Possibly explains why I only ever saw 3 or 4 tables occupied at any one time.

For us it was an excellent experience in our recent Reflection cruise...ate there twice..have never had a bad meal there on any of our cruises. The soups this time were outstanding. The chef shared his cream of celery recipe with dh..more or less,,,Served it for Thanksgiving and it was a huge hit!

Also had very good service.....

sounds like others have not enjoyed it but can only speak of our experience...For a crepe, sandwhich, soup and salad place, we think it is a great alternative to the buffet for lunch/brunch... and look forward to the new menus

Been there twice on Summit. Nothing to write home about but definitely digestible. Atmosphere very similar to a diner. Service was average. It was a nice place to go to get away from the hustle and bustle of the buffet. Paying the $7.00 p/p was a bit high, but I would go back since, I really can't say it was bad, just average.

From my experience, the service is usually extremely slow. This is primarily because the wait staff (and maybe the cooks, too) are trainees. You can see how nervous they are, and how awkward. If you aren't in a hurry and you make it very clear what you want, it can be quite tasty.

We have eaten, multiple times, at the Bistro on 5 on both the Eclipse and Silhouette and found the crepes to be pretty good. And the crepes are made to order, although some of the fillings have been pre-cooked (which can happen in any crepe shop). DW really likes their "Mexican" crepe as well as the Nutella. I have tried several of their savory crepes with no complaints. As to the thickness of the crepe this will vary depending on the cook, but we have never had an issue.

Hank

We enjoyed the salads and soups there. I wasn't too wild about the crepes though. One had too much chicken in it and the other had too much creamy stuff. The crepes I make at home are far superior

What I enjoy about the Bistro is the relaxed pace.

We've lunched there at least a dozen times and I agree with the other posters: the food is nothing special and the service is very slow. Thank goodness the fee was covered by our Ultimate Dining package.

(I'd rather go to the buffet, but DW likes the bistro better.)

Have eaten at Bistro on 5 once and would never eat there again. As stated before the crepes are not crepes more like pancakes, too thick. You have to pay extra for poor service and soso food.

Edited by ozark74