Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > New Cruisers > First Time Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

First Time Cruisers You May Also Want to Read: Over 4,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)

Old July 9th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question How to pack formal clothes?

How do you guys pack your dresses/suits for formal nights? In a separate garment bag? I'm flying from NY into Miami and I wonder if I'll be able to carry the garment bag onto the flight in addition to my carry-on bag and purse. Hmmm.

I can't stop thinking about my first cruise!!! Just 3 and a half more weeks

Old July 9th, 2008, 08:11 PM
10,000+ Club

You can't carry a garment bag on to the plane along with that other stuff. Most people get along by packing all their stuff into standard suitcases and making the best of it.

I do a lot of flying. The checkers you come to on your way to the TSA will not let you pass their check point if you have too much stuff. They send you back to the baggage check in lines. (now usually LONG lines).

Many cruise lines are changing the dress codes for their cruises in the fact of the new airline regulations and charges for checking bags. Check your own cruise line to see what is going on (or) check the thread on Cruise Critic for your cruise line and your cruise.

Old July 9th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just pack it with your regular clothes. If it does wrinkle badly then the ships all offer pressing service. I think mine cost $8.00 per item.

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Freedom Of The Seas June 2014
Oasis Of The Seas June 2011
Oasis Of The Seas June 2010
Voyager Of The Seas January 2009
Radiance Of The Seas June 2008
Freedom Of the Seas May 2007
Navigator Of The Seas April 2005
Majesty April 2004

Carnival Sensation - July 2009

Old July 9th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMySky View Post
How do you guys pack your dresses/suits for formal nights? In a separate garment bag? I'm flying from NY into Miami and I wonder if I'll be able to carry the garment bag onto the flight in addition to my carry-on bag and purse. Hmmm.

I can't stop thinking about my first cruise!!! Just 3 and a half more weeks
I usually just pack everything in a regular size suitcase - folding the item over once. DH usually takes along his suits in a fold-over bag which of course has to be checked but the fold-over bag has little compartments as well for packing small items like socks, belts, etc. It may not be very large but one can certainly get a lot of stuff in it.

Old July 10th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

My husband and I are packing each a suitcae. and then we will share a garment bag. He will have a carryone with the articles of clothes that we will need the first day.(suit etc) and I will carry a back pack with cameras, binocculars and medications. That gives us 3 checked bags and 2 carryons. Do't overpack but remember you will bring home more than what you take and the luggage can't weigh more than 50 pounds each.(
for the airlines.) Have fun.

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 10th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

My husband and I are packing each a suitcae. and then we will share a garment bag. He will have a carryone with the articles of clothes that we will need the first day.(suit etc) and I will carry a back pack with cameras, binocculars and medications. That gives us 3 checked bags and 2 carryons. Do't overpack but remember you will bring home more than what you take and the luggage can't weigh more than 50 pounds each.(

Cool Cruiser

Cool Cruiser

Old July 10th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for all your input! I get hung up on details like that.

Old July 12th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've heard that rolling up your formal clothes in your suitcase will help prevent wrinkles

Old July 12th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've read that you can put your larger/longer items in your suitcase 1st, laying them flat across the bottom with ends hanging over the sides of the suitcase. Put other items in then carefully fold ends of bottom clothing over the top, they'll come out less wrinkled. Downy wrinkle release spray works well for touch-ups of items, careful of the type of fabric.

Old July 13th, 2008, 09:21 AM
5,000+ Club

If you can fit everything in a suitcase, then go for it. Place your easily wrinkled items in dry cleaning plastic, then pack as usual.

Like the previous poster, I place the longest items down first in the suitcase, with legs, arms, etc. hanging out. Then I continue to lay items down on top. Once I have the regular clothing (dresses, pants, shirts, etc.) packed, I fold in the extremities. Shoes, socks, underwear, belts and so on are placed on top or squeezed into corners. This helps to eliminate a lot of the wrinkles.

All of that said, I do normally take a garment bag as a carry on. My DH carries a backpack with cameras and his "what do we do if they lose the luggage" stuff. I put my emergency stuff in the garment bag, and carry my purse.

NEXT UP: Alaska! Summer 2014
PAST: Closing in on 20 cruises on Royal Caribbean & Celebrity