Breakaway - MDR Question

bug18

I was recently on the Breakaway and one of the things I disliked most was that each night we waited 30-45 minutes for a table in the MDR for dinner. Since I have been back I’ve heard people mention making reservations. Could we have made reservations? I didn’t see this mentioned at all in the daily. I don’t know if it matters, but we were a party of three.

I was recently on the Breakaway and one of the things I disliked most was that each night we waited 30-45 minutes for a table in the MDR for dinner. Since I have been back I’ve heard people mention making reservations. Could we have made reservations? I didn’t see this mentioned at all in the daily. I don’t know if it matters, but we were a party of three.

I believe reservations can only be made for large parties.

What time did you go to dinner? I believe the time has a lot to do with the wait.

Just returned yesterday and never waited more than 5 - 10 min. however, we always were there between 5:30 and 6 p.m. Only ate at the Manhattan room once....it seems to big and reminds me of a wedding reception dinner room! LOL

We would normally go to dinner around 8 and always had a half hour to 45 minute wait. All three of the MDR's had the same wait time each night. We ate at Savor one night and the other nights at Manhattan. I actually preferred the Manhattan as the night we ate at Savor the service was terrible so we stayed away from it. It might have been just that night but we were happier in Manhattan.

I actually preferred the Manhattan as the night we ate at Savor the service was terrible so we stayed away from it. It might have been just that night but we were happier in Manhattan.

we didn't have to wait long to be seated (part of 5 eating between sometime between 7-8) but the servers in the MDRs were awful to just ok (except the last night in Savor when we had an excellent server)...the first two nights (Savor and Taste) the waiters never introduced themselves and barely even acknowledged we were there...basically they filled the water glasses, dropped off the bread, then came back and said what do you want to order, delivered the food, and didn't come back until dropping off the desert menu...no introductions, offering of wine or other drinks, telling us the specials, refilling water glasses, etc...the second night we made our concerns known to the asst. matri'd when she came by (we didn't seek her out) who tried to correct the situation but getting us a new waitress and offering us a bottle of wine the next night when we told her we would be in the Manhattan Room ( the table next to us also complained about the waiter to her as he was rude to them also)...service in the MR the third night was slightly better but not by much

It's funny you mention the specials as they never told you what they were unless you asked which I found very odd.

I guess it must have been the server because each time we were told what the specials were without having to ask.

Just got back today- the back page of daily under "Reservations" states "Reservations can be made for Manhattan, Taste, Savor and all specialty restaurants by visiting the reservation desk in the Atrium from 8:00am-5:00pm or by dialing 050."

I made reservations for 10 but based on above it seems you can reserve for any size party

I too just got back today, and we were a party of 6. I was told that I had to be a party of 10 to make a reservation, but when we got there (manhattan room) others had reservations. I know you could not make them over the touch screens. We never had to wait, but we too were down by 6pm. The waiter in the MR was wonderful, one night we had good service in Taste but we ate another night in savor and he was plain awful. And yes, I did find that you had to ask for the specials- here are the three I can recall:

first night- was a red snapper with beurre blanc type sauce which was rather tasty

second night- was a cocounut curry chicken and shrimp which I thought was very good.

last night was a tilapia but nobody ordered it so I can't tell you how it was.

I was on the June 2nd sailing and just looked at my daily to see if I missed the information about making a reservation for any of the MDR's and it is not listed. Perhaps they have changed it since the earlier sailings. The daily states the hours the reservation desk is open but doesn't mention any of the MDR's.

I hope they do open up reservations for all size parties. It would alleviate the lines, disgruntled and hungry guests and the staff would know what to expect and can prepare better. Not exactly freestyle cruising but much preferable to waiting 30-45 minutes just to be seated.

We are going on the Breakaway this coming Sunday the 14th and that is the only thing worrying me about the trip.

Granted we ate early ( like 6) but we did the main dining rooms three nights or maybe even four and never waited. We were a party of six with a wheelchair and were easily accommodated. Hopefully that takes some pressure off you!

We sailed the Breakaway on May 12. One day we were out and about and decided we should get some lunch. We stopped by Savor about 10 minutes after they closed. We were ready to just go seek out the other options, but the manager insisted it was no problem and that we come in and enjoy ourselves. The staff was just as friendly and warm.

We were really impressed. These crew members had already worked several hours and had other duties to do in order to prepare the restaurant for dinner. It is this kind of service that helps set NCL above some of their rivals.

I too just got back today, and we were a party of 6. I was told that I had to be a party of 10 to make a reservation, but when we got there (manhattan room) others had reservations. I know you could not make them over the touch screens. We never had to wait, but we too were down by 6pm. The waiter in the MR was wonderful, one night we had good service in Taste but we ate another night in savor and he was plain awful. And yes, I did find that you had to ask for the specials- here are the three I can recall:

first night- was a red snapper with beurre blanc type sauce which was rather tasty

second night- was a cocounut curry chicken and shrimp which I thought was very good.

Thank you very much for the info!

Could the other people with reservations have been suiteguests? The concierge reserved a table for us in the MDR on the Jade a few years ago. Since there was no queue, the reservation wasn't necessary. If there had been a queue, we had passed it since we had a reservation.

Granted we ate early ( like 6) but we did the main dining rooms three nights or maybe even four and never waited. We were a party of six with a wheelchair and were easily accommodated. Hopefully that takes some pressure off you!

Oh that is wonderful to hear! Thank you! We are a party of 7 with a 1 year old which will require a booster seat.

We just got off the ship on July 7. We were a party of 6 and ate in each of the dining rooms. We were there between 6:30 and 7 and never had a wait. I did ask about making reservations because I thought the Manhattan room would be crowded. I was told you could make them, but when I called it was after 5 and they won't take a reservation once the dining room is open. Didn't matter, as we were seated quickly.

There is a section on the menu that says regional specialty. Can't miss it! If your server doesn't mention it, ask what it is.

One night we had reservations for Rock of Ages. I don't remember what time we got to the dining room, but I was worried about cutting it close. I told the hostess and she said as long as we ordered dinner only, no apps or dessert, we would make the show. The servers knew and we made the show in plenty of time.

Archived