Using a Scooter in a Non HC Room on RCCL Oasis

berbet

I am having knee problems which is causing a mobility issue. I can't walk around the grocery store right now so walking around Oasis is going to be an issue. I would like to rent a scooter for the cruise. We have a regular stateroom. No HC available on our voyage. Will RCCL let me bring a scooter if I can't have a non HC room? I'm sure it can't be kept in the hallway due to fire code. Are they happy to stow it away when I'm not using it? I need a heavy duty one so it won't be able to be taken apart and brought into my room at night. Any suggestions? No, we don't want to reschedule to another date. Thanks.

You're going to have some problems with the whole storage issue. What are you going to do every time you go back to your cabin? I don't think you can ask someone to keep putting the scooter in storage each time. There also could be liability issues on the storage of the scooter that the cruise line may not want. If you come back to your cabin late at night, who will you give the scooter to if all the cabin attendants are already off duty? Then there's the issue of where to store it. The doorways for every storage place on your deck are just as narrow as your cabin door, and those heavy duty scooters are quite wide, so there may be absolutely no place to put it because of the size. Some have said that they've left their scooters in the elevator lobby (I don't recommend that at all because it's just too tempting for kids to break it), or at the end of hallways, which defeats the purpose of needing to walk the long hallways.

You need to call Guest Services for RCCI, explain everything to them including the size of the scooter and see what they say. But, you really cannot keep a scooter in the hallway, especially those heavy duty ones, as they would take up more than half the hallway and impede the crew and their cleaning carts plus any other passengers who are in wheelchairs or scooters. We had a huge problem with a woman on our last Celebrity cruise as she insisted on keeping her wheelchair in the hallway, and it couldn't be collapsed because it was broken. I had to go out of my way in my scooter because I couldn't get around her wheelchair. It was a real pain in the behind.

If you were even remotely aware that there would be problems with using a scooter and not having an HC cabin booked, I can't understand why you booked this cruise in the first place and will not make any changes. Anyone using a scooter or heavy duty wheelchair is aware that they will neither fit into the doorway nor have sufficient turn-around space inside the non-accessible cabin for a scooter. Don't want to be critical, but from ones who travel with both a scooter and a fold-up wheelchair, it seems you put the cart before the horse when you did not book a handicapped cabin:)

It sounds like this mobility issue came up after you had already booked the cruise? I'm sorry! As the others have said, though -- sounds like you really need to either reschedule, or maybe your knee will heal up before your cruise. I hope you did take out trip insurance!

I purchased a travelscoot prior to our cruise to Alaska. Although the scooter weighs only 35 pounds it will carry up to 330 lbs. According to the data that came with the unit, the distance it will cover between charges is less if your weight is at the higher end. Unfortunately it is not available for rent and it sounds like you won't need it for a long time. I bought it as I want to continue to travel and will not be improving in the future. My only other suggestion would be to rent a heavy duty collapsible manual wheelchair. It would not give you as much freedom but would allow you to use a regular cabin. Do you think you could manage with a rollator? Perhaps one of the 4 wheel ones that have a seat?

Yes, my mobility issue arose AFTER we'd booked. The date of our cruise is important to me so that's why I don't want to change it. Katisdale -- thank you for the info on the travelscoot. It sounds very interesting. I'll have to think about it.

I am having knee problems which is causing a mobility issue. I can't walk around the grocery store right now so walking around Oasis is going to be an issue. I would like to rent a scooter for the cruise. We have a regular stateroom. No HC available on our voyage. Will RCCL let me bring a scooter if I can't have a non HC room? I'm sure it can't be kept in the hallway due to fire code. Are they happy to stow it away when I'm not using it? I need a heavy duty one so it won't be able to be taken apart and brought into my room at night. Any suggestions? No, we don't want to reschedule to another date. Thanks.

I am sailing on NCL so be sure to call RCCL; and I too am having to use a scooter this time (car accident, broken discs in back, can't walk long distances....) anyway we did not rent a HC cabin because I didn't need it, but I do need the chair. When I called NCL the lady told me that I should bring a long heavy duty electrical cord and that the room steward or another employee would gladly take it from my room each night and recharge it and return it in the morning. If I wanted to I could also park it out of the way by an elevator, cover it and charge it there. (I have this all in writing via email as well as verbal). I then called the company that NCL said I had to use to rent the scooter and the lady on the phone said basically the same thing. She said they have never had a problem where a cruise line employee would not take it and charge it every night.

I went ahead and reserved it for our cruise and I was told (by the lady on the phone) that all of the scooters & wheelchairs that they rent are cruiseline compliant and that they will fit thru the stateroom doors even if they are not handicap rooms. (I kind of think she is wrong; but we'll see)

she said the scooter will be waiting for me in the room when we board. NCL has offered to meet me with a wheelchair if necessary to get me checked in and to our room.

I plan on tipping a good bit to whoever takes and returns my scooter each day. He/she will have to stop whatever they normally do to help me.

My advice to you is too call RCCL and ask them all of the questions and hopefully you will get peace of mind.

Another thing they (NCL) did tell me was that I "might" not be able to bring the scooter on the tender. She said it is up to the men/women who are there. Sometimes they will take the scooter and place it on the tender; other times they will not. You will need to ask about that as well.

I am sailing on NCL so be sure to call RCCL; and I too am having to use a scooter this time (car accident, broken discs in back, can't walk long distances....) anyway we did not rent a HC cabin because I didn't need it, but I do need the chair. When I called NCL the lady told me that I should bring a long heavy duty electrical cord and that the room steward or another employee would gladly take it from my room each night and recharge it and return it in the morning. If I wanted to I could also park it out of the way by an elevator, cover it and charge it there. (I have this all in writing via email as well as verbal). I then called the company that NCL said I had to use to rent the scooter and the lady on the phone said basically the same thing. She said they have never had a problem where a cruise line employee would not take it and charge it every night.

I went ahead and reserved it for our cruise and I was told (by the lady on the phone) that all of the scooters & wheelchairs that they rent are cruiseline compliant and that they will fit thru the stateroom doors even if they are not handicap rooms. (I kind of think she is wrong; but we'll see)

she said the scooter will be waiting for me in the room when we board. NCL has offered to meet me with a wheelchair if necessary to get me checked in and to our room.

I plan on tipping a good bit to whoever takes and returns my scooter each day. He/she will have to stop whatever they normally do to help me.

My advice to you is too call RCCL and ask them all of the questions and hopefully you will get peace of mind.

I think that the statement that the "scooters and wheelchairs...will fit through the stateroom doors even if they are not handicap rooms" is a stretch. I don't think that they will..and depending on where your room is, you may not even be able to turn around in the hall, much less turn around to enter your stateroom. I suspect that the cruise staff will be able to get your scooter to your door, then you'll have to step outside your cabin and proceed down the hall to the next opening, and continue from there.

Have a good time on your cruise! I hope you heal uneventfully!

Thanks, I hope I heal quickly as well. I don't think they will fit thru the door either; as long as I can get into the elevator I will be fine. Our room is very close we're on the ncl spirit room 10160 and according to the deck pan it's almost at the end of the hall next to the kids crew area. Hopefully we can charge it there.

Thanks, Mactrio. I think NCL's statement about the scooters fitting in a non hc room is stretching it. I did have my TA call RCCL and ask for the dimensions of the Oasis' non hc stateroom doors. They said 28 ". My guess is that this is the door frame and doesn't take the door being on the frame into consideration (this would cut the size down). Which scooter company does NCL insist you use?

I 'hope' I'm not breaking a rule here if I post it. NCL said I can only rent from Cruise Ship Assist Care Vacations.

http://www.cruiseshipassist.com/html/mobility.html

from the NCL website

As of 9/1/07, NCL has signed an exclusivity contract with Care Vacations to be the sole supplier for oxygen and mobility services. They will be the only company allowed to deliver and supply all mobility aid equipment including standard (non-motorized) wheelchairs and electric equipment (scooters), oxygen equipment for use during the cruise or tour to those guests who pre-arrange the service with Care Vacations. Please note, liquid oxygen is not permitted on any NCL or NCLA vessel nor will be supplied by the vendor under any circumstance. Please have our guests contact Care Vacations at 1-877-478-7827 to make arrangements.

The only exception to the above is guests who require dialysis equipment and supplies. These guests can contact Baxter Health Care at 1-800-422-9837 to make arrangements.

and it was the lady from Care Vacations who said the scooters were compliant with the NCL ships. She said they would fit in the door. I really doubt it though.

Thanks, Mactrio. I think NCL's statement about the scooters fitting in a non hc room is stretching it. I did have my TA call RCCL and ask for the dimensions of the Oasis' non hc stateroom doors. They said 28 ". My guess is that this is the door frame and doesn't take the door being on the frame into consideration (this would cut the size down). Which scooter company does NCL insist you use?

I rent scooters from them all the time. They're very good and reliable. Believe me, their standard scooter will not fit through a regular cabin door. Mine barely fit through a large suite door. You might want to see if they rent those small, three wheeled scooters. Those might fit through the doorway.

I rent scooters from them all the time. They're very good and reliable. Believe me, their standard scooter will not fit through a regular cabin door. Mine barely fit through a large suite door. You might want to see if they rent those small, three wheeled scooters. Those might fit through the doorway.

Did you have any problems in ports with the scooter? We're going to Costa Maya, Santo Tomas, Cozumel and then tendering in Belize. NCL told me that i might or might not be able to tender w/ the scooter, she said it would be up to the workers on the tender.

Thanks, I weigh too much for those little 3 wheeled ones, they have a

150 lb weight limit. I'll hope for the best with the 4 wheeled one and pray it fits thru the elevator doors without too many problems.

You won't have any problem getting into elevators. They are way wider than "normal" doors. It'll be tricky for you to get out of the elevator, though, if you're not used to scooters. You might want to practice backing up in an open area, first, before your first elevator "adventure"! :)

Berbet,

Call the cruise lines and get the size of the door opening. Then call your favorite scooter vendor/rental agency and see if they have a scooter that will fit in. Things may be tight, but at least you won't be in pain. And NO they don't allow scooters in the tenders. A folding wheelchair maybe.

HTH

I have rented a 3 wheel scooter from Care Vacations (Cruiseship Assist) on the last 8 cruises I have been on...Princess, NCL, RCCL...none of them have allowed a scooter on the tender...they are very concerned about their crew getting hurt if there are wavy conditions. Also I strongly advise not leaving your scooter in a hallway near the elevator...we often saw children playing on them (that was on RCCL) Princess does not allow this at all. One passenger that did this had parts broken on her scooter and she was responsible for the repairs..plus it did not work the rest of the cruise.

Even if you could get the scooter thru the door of your non-accessible cabin, there will be very little room for you to store it in and probably no electric outlet close by. Even with my 3 wheel scooter I could not visit any cabin that was not accessible...doors were not wide enough....this was for a Cruise Critic get together.

The elevators will be fine, but as another person said practice backing into them...much easier than backing out into traffic. I also suggest you go early any where you are going on the ship...people are not always polite and let the scooter people on first, also..even if you are not going in the direction the elevator is...get on if it is empty...what goes up must come down!.

You may also have problems getting into what the ship calls an accessible bathroom...the angles are strange sometimes and you cannot turn the scooter around to get out, and if there is no button to push to open the door you will need someone to open the door for you. Plus getting to the sinks to wash your hands is not easy either...I take my cane and walk into bathrooms when possible.

Most tenders will take a folding w/c if the passenger can walk onto the tender with assistance (as I do) I am an above the knee amputee with a very good prosthesis).

Most non US ports are not made for scooters or wheelchairs and many of the sidewalks are so narrow without any cutouts at the end of the block that we have had to stay in the street. This is getting better, but not everyone understands what accessible means.

I hope you heal fast and enjoy your cruise.

NCL will NOT take a scooter on the tenders. They used to but that's no longer the case as the liability is too high.

Your main problem with a scooter in all those places will be finding anyone to transport it for you. These are not areas where they have much in the way for the disabled and seeing that most of the local vehicles are old, finding a van that can handle a large scooter will be difficult. You will probably have to do research and hire a private accessible van for you and the scooter. In Cozumel, I just motor off the ship and stick to the dock area, where there are shops and restaurants. We just like sitting at Senor Frogs, imbibing in margaritas and eating chips and salsa.

In Cozumel( Dec 08) we took a wheelchair taxi to the national park. It was 30 dollars one way. No tie downs. A scooter WILL NOT fit. In Belize there are many different tenders used. They did not use the ships' tenders. You would have to be able to walk onto the tender, down steps, and take a manual standard wheelchair. I would suggest you also rent a wheelchair so you can use that where a scooter can't go. These tenders are operated by locals in Belize, not NCL staff. They do not have to help anyone on or off if they chose not to do so. I was told on board that it would be entirely up to the tender crew to decide if they would take my daughter in her wheelchair. They said no scooters would be permitted. I guess you could offer a large tip and see, but you would not be sure of getting the same tender going back to the ship. I know a manual chair is more difficult, but may be your only option ( that is if you can walk onto the tender. )

I can walk, I can climb stairs, steps as long as I have a railing or a hand/arm to hold onto. Some days I feel great and have little to no back pain and no numbness in my legs. Other days I can barely move and I'm bent at the waist and can't straighten up.

I was going to rent a wheelchair and was told that it would be very difficult to push in the ports and that a scooter would be better. :confused: Anyway, in Belize we are going from the ship to the tender to the boat for our excursion. We're doing the Olde Belize River and Altun Ha Ruins. I'll be fine for the river trip and if the ruins are too far from the bus; I'll either stay on the bus or walk just in the bus area and I can skip the ruins.

Thanks for all of the tips and suggestions. I appreciate all of them.

Does anyone travel with their scooter? We looked into buying a scooter, taking it on the plane and then having it. We looked at ones that break down -- the seat comes off, the battery section comes off, then the tiller folds down to the base and you can turn it on it's side and carry it into the room. Store clerk told us most people ride them to the gangway on the plane and then the crew takes it and returns it when you get to your destination. He did say that the damage rate is high. Also, if you have your own, how hard is it to get transportation from airport to hotel and hotel to the pier? Are there vans with lifts? I know Disney is very scooter friendly. But what about Miami/Ft. Lauderdale with cruises?

Because I was worried about damage I purchased a travelscoot which collapses into a duffel like bag and only weighs 35 pounds. The duffel was damaged on our first plane trip so we then went to the local sports store and bought a golf hard case. It fits easily into this and I think will be much harder to damage and there will be no lost parts.

Archived