Charlie's Bar in San Nicolas

premiumrican

We ate there several years ago.....the food was wonderful. I had shrimp scampi and the shrimp were from the ocean that day! Our timing has been off the past couple of times we have been to Aruba and we always manage to find the place closed. Two years ago, we ate at the Texas di Brasil. That was good too. (we have been to Aruba many times and I just don't remember all the places we have had dinner in....our timeshare has kitchen and outdoor bbq grill so we eat in many times.)

Maybe long ago...I don't remember that part! It is a little hole in the wall kind of place...

The place was filled with things that tourists have left there - tee shirts, lisence plates, drivers lisences....that sort of stuff. At the time we went, it was considered a 4 star restaurant but it only looked like some little bar.

There was some kind of story about the original owner....I don't remember it now. From World War 2...the family also owned a scruba dive company. Not sure now. Last time we were in Aruba in 2004, it was closed the day we went down there and we just didn't get back there.

Hope you have a wonderful time. Aruba is my favorite place in the world.

Just another perspective.

We made the drive (quite far from the pier) to Charlie's bar as we were interested to see the place and to pick up some souvenirs.

Well, it's in a very seedy part of town, the souvenirs store was filthy with only a very few items to choose from and Charlie's bar looked exactly like we had read, seen, and expected. It was worth the stop to see it but we were uncomfortable in the neighbourhood and so we didn't stay or even have a drink.

Here is a link...this picture shows exactly what it looks like. I'm glad we stopped to see it, so I think it's worth the drive.

http://www.charliesbararuba.com/menu/menu.htm

The first time we went to Charlies was in 1994 - the neighborhood is better now than it was then. We had a squeegie man clean the windshield of the car for a dollar. San Nicolas has had considerable renovation since then.

My group was in Aruba two weeks ago for a week's vacation. We were going to drive to Charlie's Bar one evening for dinner, but were discouraged by our Hotel's concierge. We were told the area is not too safe, even though the food was suppose to be good. It is also on the opposite side of the island from where the cruise ships dock, so the commute would have been a distance.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived