12-month dive proof?

beachtango

I’m a certified open water diver without a dive in the last 12 months. Will I be able to dive on any of the NCL scuba excursions other than Discover Scuba? We’re sailing on NCL Getaway on May 16th.

Thanks for your assistance!

Paul

a local dive shop may be able to provide a 'refresher course' and this would suffice.

I dunno about NCL in particular, but on other cruises the 'time since' has often been 2 years and sometimes as long as 5 . . .

I've never been asked for 'proof' other than my C-card . . . you are asked and expected to answer honestly....

I think I pulled up your cruise ... visiting St Thomas and Tortola?

Ship excursion two tank dive at both ports say 1 year . . . that prompted your question perhaps?

In St T there is beach diving at Coki Beach ....

Who is our Certified Beach Dive for?

The diving in St Thomas is great for certified divers with proof of their valid C-Cards, ages 10 and older. This dive is a great opportunity for certified divers looking for a calm and relaxing dive. It is also a great dive for first time open water divers and for rusty or nervous divers that need a fresh start. There are also great photo oppurtuninties for the experinced diver. (sic)

http://www.cokidive.com/#!certified-beach-diving/cuk2

• 2 months later...

beachtango, what did you find out on your Getaway cruise? We leave on the NCL Breakaway July 12th, I would like to do a 2 tank dive in Bermuda, however I neglected to take a refresher course. Now it's too late. For me it's been 17 months since my last dive and I'm hesitant to book the excursion. I called NCL and was told 12 months, but that is what I expected them to say.

Edited by bobbymc
more info

If you don't have a refresher course available, do you have a shop with rental equipment and a mud-hole nearby? We go and jump in the quarry for two half-an-hour dives (as long as we can stand in the cold!) each year so we can keep our log books up to date.

If you don't have a refresher course available, do you have a shop with rental equipment and a mud-hole nearby? We go and jump in the quarry for two half-an-hour dives (as long as we can stand in the cold!) each year so we can keep our log books up to date.

Not a bad idea. Thanks for the tip. It's something I'll have to consider in the future.

It's for your own good ..... if you haven't been in the water during the past 12 months, you need to revisit your bouyancy, your equipment and skills. If they let you dive, be sure to let the dive master know you may be a little rusty on your skills so he/she can assist you if needed. Again, they want you to have been in the water within the past year for your own good and safety and for everyone else on the dive.

• 6 months later...

Sorry it took so long for me to respond to this but here is what happened for me on the NCL Breakaway in Bermuda.

The shore excursion is done by Fantasea Diving & Watersports. I called them directly. They are PADI Certified and advised me as long as I have proof of diving within the past 18 months, I will be able to dive. I find it interesting that NCL says 12 months between dives, but the dive shop says 18. NCL probably says this to cover their butts.

The Fantasea boat was about a 2 minute walk from the ship. Once I got to the boat, I had to show them my dive log, this reflected my last dive being 17 months prior. I explained to them that this was my 1st dive since certification and they were very helpful and made sure I remembered everything. I had a very enjoyable 2 tank dive and look forward to my next dive. NCL Escape/St Thomas February 2016.

I would suggest either a SCUBA Review or find an LSD that has a pool and rent an hour or so and ask to do a self guides review and practice your skills. If you are a new diver the time in the water helps you be more comfortable and confident in the water.

I DM SCUBA Reviews and classes for my LDS and find that an hour in the pool helps new/out of practice dives immensely with their skills and confidence.

I will go in and play and practice in the pool every couple of months during the winter, I live in Minnesota, just to keep my skills fresh.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

since this thread has been revived we may as well update the info

PADI has added an "official" refresher course.

https://www.padi.com/scuba-diving/padi-courses/course-catalog/reactivate/

I'd also mention another solution .... in the past I've booked a Discovery Dive to use as a refresher. It is not unusual to see certified divers taking Discovery dives either to accompany a newbie or as I did for a refresher. Each time I did it the instructor asked if there were any certified divers in the class and pretty didn't worry about all the basics with (me) but kept an eye on me just as part of the group . . . it is a sort of big hint to the instructor when someone shows up for a Discovery with their own gear!

I've done a Discovery at port #1 ... then regular dive trips for the other ports . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ