Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old April 30th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post Gulf Oil Spill Not Affecting Cruise Ships -- Yet

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Gulf Oil Spill Not Affecting Cruise Ships -- Yet

Read the entire news article...

Old April 30th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

It may not be affecting the cruise ships, but think of what it is doing to our ecosystem, our marine & avian life, our beaches & eventually the Gulf's tourism!
What a terrible mess.

Old April 30th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

The only data we have is that 11 people lost their lives.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com

This is the BP website keeping infor up to date about the spill.
6/4/2007 NCLA Pride of Hawaii 7 night

Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Let me try to upload this map from NOAA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil.jpg (21.6 KB, 122 views)
6/4/2007 NCLA Pride of Hawaii 7 night

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 1st, 2010, 01:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default When the plume gets picked up by the currents....

and spreads to FL. Gulf coast, then the Keys, then FL. East Costal cities, will the fall and winter tourist abandon the beaches and swamp the cruise lines to sail farther south? Or will the whole FL tourism business close up like the tourism business seems to have done in LA & MS?
There are so many experts on these boards, I'd like some opinions.
I realize that any opinion is rank speculation at this point, but it looks like this spill will be 2-3X the Valdez. And if the currents grab the plume, Bahamas, the Gulf Stream, The East Coast, Bermuda, the magitude could ruin many local economies.

Old June 1st, 2010, 02:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

This is the "worst" spill in the US, but not even close to the worst in the Gulf of Mexico and certainly not the world.

Old June 5th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

it s heatbreaking to see how this spill has impacted the lives of thousands of residents..im sure this will eventually reachout throughout the country
if things do turn for the better..

everything thus far has been a failure..can t trust BP to come forth with the truth..their CEO even tried to make a stupid joke of the matter..

BP dividends, limited liability..all it does is secure the future of BP..read what that they ve paid out $84 million in claims already..a drop of oil in the sea..

Old June 5th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default This is a heartbreaking tragedy of staggering proportions.

I agree with Deepnite10. Sargent Schultz, I do not know where you are getting your information, but when you think about the people, the livelihoods, the animals, and the fragile ecosystem that has (and continues to be) destroyed this is a devastating spill, the impacts of which are still not fully known. In those terms, I do believe it is the worst oil spill the world has known.

A way of life, a culture is being destroyed in the Gulf states. Fisherman are out of work. The Louisiana marshlands have been destroyed (a crime in itself). Oil-covered pelicans, seagulls and other sea birds are dying along the coasts. The bluefin tuna, which are already fished to near endangerment, spawn in the Gulf - their larvae is threatened by oil and dispersant. Oils is washing up on our beautiful sourthern and Florida beaches threatening people's homes and tourism. Scientists are predicting that the oil will reach the Gulf stream and 'round Florida in a little more than a month. At that point, it should travel up the mid-Atlantic states and out to Long Island and beyond. The toxic chemical dispersant (Corexit), which is banned in the UK, but for some reason approved by the EPA and NOAA is being used in volume and ways never attempted before. There is no way of knowing how this oil and the dispersant will impact the food supply.

[Some sources: http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...18%2F-1%2Fnews ;
http://www.courant.com/news/educatio...,2817882.story ;
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/breaking/Oil_dispersants_an_environmental__crapshoot_-94730904.html ]

There is much more information available other than that 11 lives were tragically lost. CNN is doing a decent job of reporting, but you may have to do a google search to really pull all the news to you. There are some accounts that BP is still suppressing the truth and the press. However, to say that all is known is that 11 people have died is to be purposely and blissfully uninformed -- by choice.

This is a heartbreaking tragedy of staggering proportions.

Further, I am convinced you will NOT get a clear understanding of the destruction, the tragedy and the horror by simply reviewing the BP site.

If you can help with either time or resources, CNN published a list of organizations that are working in Louisiana, Florida, Alabama and Mississippi who need volunteers, donations and more:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/30/imp...ill/index.html

Last edited by SailorNYC; June 5th, 2010 at 06:21 PM.

Old June 5th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Lurkster - I read that the volume of oil spewing is like a Valdez every 4 days.

Old June 5th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for that post, SailorNYC.

Old June 5th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorNYC View Post
I agree with Deepnite10. Sargent Schultz, I do not know where you are getting your information, but when you think about the people, the livelihoods, the animals, and the fragile ecosystem that has (and continues to be) destroyed this is a devastating spill, the impacts of which are still not fully known. In those terms, I do believe it is the worst oil spill the world has known.
So far, this spill has had relatively little, measurable impact. It will take a few years before anyone has a clue what the real impact is. I prefer to wait for real data and not speculation before declaring a winner.

Two spills that were worse were the IXTOC 1 and the oil spill in the Persian Gulf after the first Gulf war. Nature has done a remarkable job of cleaning up in both cases.

What I question is whether or not America will ever decrease dependence on oil, whatever the source. There is an inherent risk associated with trying to satisfy that addiction, which will remain until the root cause is eliminated.

Personally, I don't plan on reducing the number of cruises I take.

Old June 5th, 2010, 07:01 PM
5,000+ Club

This goes way beyond the number of cruises you will take.
2003 - Coral Princess /
Celebrity Summit
2004 - Mariner of the Seas
2005- Star Princess /
Norwegian Jewel
2006 - Caribbean Princess /
Volendam
2007 - Costa Magica /
Carnival Legend
2008 - Norwegian Sky /
Eurodam
2009 - Norwegian Jewel /
Carnival Liberty
2010- Oasis of the Seas /
Celebrity Solstice/
Norwegian Pearl
2011 - Celebrity Eclipse /
Celebrity Millennium
2012 - Norwegian Star /
Carnival Valor
2013 - Crown Princess
2014 - Celebrity Century

Old June 5th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Is this a contest? "Winner" = an absolutely disgusting, insensitive way to describe the catastrophe in the Gulf.

Old June 5th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent_Schultz View Post
So far, this spill has had relatively little, measurable impact. It will take a few years before anyone has a clue what the real impact is. I prefer to wait for real data and not speculation before declaring a winner.

Two spills that were worse were the IXTOC 1 and the oil spill in the Persian Gulf after the first Gulf war. Nature has done a remarkable job of cleaning up in both cases.

What I question is whether or not America will ever decrease dependence on oil, whatever the source. There is an inherent risk associated with trying to satisfy that addiction, which will remain until the root cause is eliminated.

Personally, I don't plan on reducing the number of cruises I take.
You first say you prefer to wait for real data and not speculate, then you go on to conclude that this spill isn't as bad as the IXTOC or the Persian Gulf spill? How do you know this since "real data" isn't available?

Quote:
Nature has done a remarkable job of cleaning up in both cases.
So what? That's like saying the Holocaust wasn't that bad because the Jewish population recovered.

Old June 5th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

BTW, as of yesterday, they found 527 birds, 235 sea turtles, and 30 other mammals dead. Those were found on the coast, where these is barely any oil and things are just beginning.

Now imagine all the others in the ocean/off shore that are killed/will die because of this where most will never be found. Although you'll likely deny this will happen at all because "real data" don't exist yet.

Old June 5th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddakrt View Post
You first say you prefer to wait for real data and not speculate, then you go on to conclude that this spill isn't as bad as the IXTOC or the Persian Gulf spill? How do you know this since "real data" isn't available?

So what? That's like saying the Holocaust wasn't that bad because the Jewish population recovered.
I haven't concluded anything, since real data isn't available. The oil is still spilling. The total damage is not known and won't be for years.

Something like 350,000 birds are known victims of Exxon Valdez, including bald eagles. Otters, Orcas, Seals, etc.

I expect the numbers to rise in the Gulf Oil spill, but nobody knows what the final count will be.

Old June 5th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

SS - Since you haven't concluded anything and you clearly don't think it is a big deal, why don't you do a favor for all of us who are heartbroken by the FACTS OF THIS CATASTROPHE and stop rallying around the oil company like a BP executive.

Old June 5th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorNYC View Post
SS - Since you haven't concluded anything and you clearly don't think it is a big deal, ..
Of course it is a big deal. How big of a deal is still awaiting data that won't be known for years.

Old June 6th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Angry Data or not

Whether there is data available or not this is a real tragedy for all.
Adventurer of the Seas 5/2004
Serenade of the Seas 10/2010
Allure of the Seas 05/05/2013
Radiance of the Sea Hawaii 04/27/2014
Jewel of the Seas - Southern Caribbean 01/17/2015

I DONT WANT TO WORK! I WANT TO BANG ON THE DRUMS ALL DAY!