Adventurous eating - in ports

chasm4u

My wife and I love trying strange and bizarre foods (with limits of course, no bugs etc). For example on our trip to Spain our favs were chiporones (deep fried baby squid), Fuet (suasage, link style with white mold), muscle pizza.

We are going on legend in September adn we already got a lunch lined up for Belize. Has anyone had great LOCAL (not touristy resorty oo la la) food for adventurous eaters at the ports of Grand Cayman, and especially Roatan?

I have heard of a dish of rice and pigtail! Would love to try that and Conc. We are looking for the hole in teh wall places, its been our experience the crapier the place looks the better the food! At least 80 percent of the time. We dont care about atmosphere adn corperate versions, we love food REAL FOOD.

Also feel free to share your adventurous eating experiences!

Thanks guys.

Where are you eating in Belize?

In Roatan, go to the West End and find Celeste's(sp?) All sort of baledas, your choice of fillings--lobster, shrimp, chicken, conch, if in season,etc. Or head up to Jonesville and find the Hole in the Wall that sits over the water. http://www.roatanonline.com/moreroatan/images_east/hole.htm

In Grand Cayman, seek out Wellie's Cool Spot or Calypso Grill (try their sticky toffee pudding) http://caygirl.wordpress.com/2009/07/01/wellys-cool-spot-a-restaurant-in-grand-cayman/

http://www.calypsogrillcayman.com/

Both are off the beaten cruise tourist track, but CG is a bit more pricey and not your typical hole in the wall. There's a place on Eastern Avenue next to the Texaco station on the way to 7 Mile Beach, I think it's called Tonys or Tommys Jerk, that has good local food. Jerk pork and curry chicken are excellent.

If you're hitting Cozumel, head toward the back of San Miguel for Pescarderia San Carlos, Out around Avenida 55. It's fish market with a kithcen. Best seafood on the island. Or if wandering around the plaza, look for the tamale cart near Las Plameras on the ocean side of the plaza. Also Los Otates over on Calle3 Sur and Avenida 10. Tacqueria.

Thanks for the reply. I will follow your directions.

In Belize we are doing the atv/tubing tour with Cave-tubing.com adn they are adding a traditional belizean lunch for us.

I think the divy little place a lot of cavetubing companies frequent is called Xcalak. Could be wrong on the name. But the food is prepared well and will taste good after your excursions. The traditional Belizean lunch for most cruisers is chicken, red kindny beans and rice, with plantains. I doubt if they'll be serving pigs tails or cows foot stews.

Archived