Cancellation, Refund - and Disappointment

almostnewtocruise

I hope that you get a response from Azamara. Not all insurance policies are the same. Did your policy cover terrorism and acts of war? I am booked on a tour to Israel in October. When I booked in May, I did not expect the conflict in Israel. I have not canceled. I hope that the fighting stops soon. If not, the tour company has reassured us that they will cancel the trip. They will also refund our money. I can also cancel and get my money back. I do not think that Azamara or any cruise line would put guests into a harmful situation. I am rather surpised that Azamara is still doing the Black Sea cruise. I know people who were booked on the Quest Aug. 20 and rebooked on the Journey Aug. 20. Good luck. I hope you get satisfaction.

Redtravel, I too hope that the fighting will end soon and that you will be able to visit here (we are worth visiting! :)) And if not - then I am sure that you'll get your money back.

By the way - I didn't have any problems with the private tours operators in Turkey. They seemed to understand perfectly well why we are canceling.. and mostly expressed a hope that 'we shall meet after all - in better times"..(now, with the new president they've just elected today , I can't see it happen any time soon)

As to our insurance.. It covered only medical emergency and luggage problems. We booked the cruise less than 2 months before the sailing date ... It was the "substituted" Black Sea itinerary - no Ukraine and no Russia. And who would have thought that the danger for us will actually come from Turkey itself?

Miriam

Miriam.

I am sure that there are others, like us, who are watching this thread to see if Azamara responds with understanding of your unique situation.

We're hoping to get to Israel on a cruise in October, and fervently hope that the new ceasefire holds.

Thanks to all who wrote and gave me encouragement and advice !

Tomorrow (Monday ) I'll start acting on both fronts - getting in touch with Larry Pimentel's office (still not sure how) hoping for a change in their decision - but also finding out what happened with our refund (in other words ; where are the taxes and transfers?!)

I'll let you know how it goes..

And I hope that this time Laraine will be wrong about the "less than legendary" shore side service :)

But I do miss Bill.. :o

Miriam

Thanks to all who wrote and gave me encouragement and advice !

Tomorrow (Monday ) I'll start acting on both fronts - getting in touch with Larry Pimentel's office (still not sure how) hoping for a change in their decision - but also finding out what happened with our refund (in other words ; where are the taxes and transfers?!)

I'll let you know how it goes..

And I hope that this time Laraine will be wrong about the "less than legendary" shore side service :)

Miriam

Good luck!!!!

The good news are that yesterday (Monday) I sent a (second) letter to AZ president - this time directly - and the letter hasn't come back as "undelivered" . So hopefully the address was correct.

The not- so- good news are that I received nothing back - not even an automatic acknowledgment that it has been delivered to "somebody".

The other good news are that I haven't received a NO either..

So still hoping.. :)

Miriam

At the risk of getting slammed, I am curious what it is you're looking for, a refund of the taxes and port fees or a change/credit to another cruise?

If the former (and even then, I'm not sure about the port fees), certainly that sounds reasonable.

If the latter, then I think that's the risk you take with booking with a foreign travel provider and vacationing in a (relative) conflict zone. Your government is advising against non-essential travel, which means that you are legally allowed to travel there, it's just that your government really wishes you wouldn't (It isn't a full embargo like Cuba has been for Americans).

So you could go to Istanbul, board the ship, never leave it until disembarkation to go straight to the airport out of Turkey, limiting your stay in Turkey to be basically the transfers from airport to ship and back. But you decided that you didn't want to.

I fully concede that it wouldn't make it much of a cruise (assuming you booked it mainly for the ports) as it essentially becomes a cruise to nowhere (like a crossing), but it still is a cruise with full Azamara ship amenities at your disposal.

Sorry to hear about your situation and I know how much it bites to be out money, but I see both sides here. And you should get the full taxes (and hopefully port fees) back.

ShopperfiendTO, I don't know why you think you will be slammed. You are just expressing your point of view.

I happen to disagree with you. Did you read post 19? Even if Miriam had thought to just take the cruise without getting off, Turkish Airlines has cancelled her flight and many others between Israel and Turkey leaving her no means to get to her port of embarkation.

Azamara should judge these situations on a case by case basis and on this occasion allow her to transfer her booking to another cruise.

I hope Mr Pimentel sees the merit of a goodwill gesture. Azamara shoreside could do with a few wins.

At the risk of getting slammed, I am curious what it is you're looking for, a refund of the taxes and port fees or a change/credit to another cruise?

If the former (and even then, I'm not sure about the port fees), certainly that sounds reasonable.

If the latter, then I think that's the risk you take with booking with a foreign travel provider and vacationing in a (relative) conflict zone. Your government is advising against non-essential travel, which means that you are legally allowed to travel there, it's just that your government really wishes you wouldn't (It isn't a full embargo like Cuba has been for Americans).

So you could go to Istanbul, board the ship, never leave it until disembarkation to go straight to the airport out of Turkey, limiting your stay in Turkey to be basically the transfers from airport to ship and back. But you decided that you didn't want to.

I fully concede that it wouldn't make it much of a cruise (assuming you booked it mainly for the ports) as it essentially becomes a cruise to nowhere (like a crossing), but it still is a cruise with full Azamara ship amenities at your disposal.

Sorry to hear about your situation and I know how much it bites to be out money, but I see both sides here. And you should get the full taxes (and hopefully port fees) back.

I think you got it a little "in reverse" - if that's the right expression. Our government (unlike the US gov. regarding Cuba ) is advising us not to travel to Turkey not because it wants to "punish" Turkey and its economy for whatever reasons (we still can freely buy cigars - and everything else from them ), but because the current "climate" in Turkey became actually dangerous for us. (just google the news about the freshly elected Erdogan, Israel and Jews - to get the picture)

I know I am repeating myself.. but we would be very happy not to disembark in any ports - if only we could get on and off the ship without any contact with Turkish authorities.. Or even if we could cut the cruise shorter and get on and off the ship not in Turkey but somewhere else (like we're doing on Constellation in September - where we cut our cruise 3 days shorter and get off in Athens!).

But on this AZ 12 days cruise the first non-Turkish port is on day 5 (Batumi, Georgia) - and the last non-Turkish port is on day 10 (Volos, Greece). So do you think it's even "sane" to buy new flight tickets (do those places even have airports?) for a 6 days cruise?

(And by the way -and I've already mentioned that too.. Turkish Airlines - whose tickets we had - stops flying from here starting 2 days before "our" cruise. So we wouldn't have been able to get to the ship - even if we hadn't cancelled!)

As to refund for taxes and fees .... Bad News!

It seems that Azamara belongs to companies (HAL, Crystal etc ) that do not refund those. Unlike others - AZ doesn't even refund transfers! Strange but true!

Unlike RCI and Celebrity which "exclude" taxes and fees from their penalties, Azamara calculates the "gross total" you paid for everything.. subtracts your TA commission - and gives you (in this case US) back 25% of that ..

And yes.. we would like very much to have the other 75% back as a credit for a future cruise.. As I said - still hoping... :o

Miriam

Hi Almostnewtocruise,

We all miss Bill, and I think about him all the time. Good luck in resolving your situation.

ShopperfiendTO, I don't know why you think you will be slammed. You are just expressing your point of view.

I happen to disagree with you. Did you read post 19? Even if Miriam had thought to just take the cruise without getting off, Turkish Airlines has cancelled her flight and many others between Israel and Turkey leaving her no means to get to her port of embarkation.

Azamara should judge these situations on a case by case basis and on this occasion allow her to transfer her booking to another cruise.

I hope Mr Pimentel sees the merit of a goodwill gesture. Azamara shoreside could do with a few wins.

Thanks for the open mind. :)

Was airfare booked with ChoiceAir? If not, then that is yet another risk one takes in our travel planning, just like using a private guide on an excursion and getting stuck in a freak traffic jam (third party supplier doesn't get you to the ship on time, or in this case, at all).

But I agree that it is completely goodwill at this time and Az will have done nothing "wrong" or "unfair" if it decides to stand firm.

I think you got it a little "in reverse" - if that's the right expression. Our government (unlike the US gov. regarding Cuba ) is advising us not to travel to Turkey not because it wants to "punish" Turkey and its economy for whatever reasons (we still can freely buy cigars - and everything else from them ), but because the current "climate" in Turkey became actually dangerous for us. (just google the news about the freshly elected Erdogan, Israel and Jews - to get the picture)

And yes.. we would like very much to have the other 75% back as a credit for a future cruise.. As I said - still hoping... :o

Miriam

Sorry, what I meant by the reference was that it was illegal for Americans to travel to Cuba. While highly discouraged by the Israeli government, it is not illegal for Israelis to travel to Turkey.

Thanks for clarifying what you were looking for. It seemed like a you were unhappy about getting only 25% of the taxes and port fees back but it looks like that was a secondary issue.

Good luck in resolving your situation.

Miriam, I've yet to go on our first Azamara cruise but I wish you good luck and hope it works out for you.

I know from experience that Regent does give you FCC for situations similar to yours. Maybe they don't have to but cruise lines realize that Goodwill goes a long way.

Miriam. We had to cancel a cruise in April 2 days before we were due to fly out, due to the illness and subsequent death of my mother-in-law. Azamara refunded us 100% of the port taxes and fees plus our shore excursion. We of course forfeited the rest of our payments to them but our insurance covered most of the loss. We are in the UK but I don't think that should make a difference so it might be worth you contacting Azamara again.

Hilary

Sorry, what I meant by the reference was that it was illegal for Americans to travel to Cuba. While highly discouraged by the Israeli government, it is not illegal for Israelis to travel to Turkey.

Thanks for clarifying what you were looking for. It seemed like a you were unhappy about getting only 25% of the taxes and port fees back but it looks like that was a secondary issue.

Good luck in resolving your situation.

ShopperfiendTO, you are right.. It's not illegal for us to go to Turkey. If it had been - we wouldn't have bought this cruise in the first place and this thread wouldn't have existed. :-))

As to being unhappy.. Yes, we are somewhat unhappy about the 75% of the transfers we are not going to use .. and the 75% of the fees of the ports we won't be visiting ..

But then we are not too happy about all the rest too.. :)

But I agree - if Az "stands firm" as you call it , they won't be doing anything legally "wrong". These are the rules and they can stick to them ..

Not so sure about the "unfair" ..

As many have said here - Good Will (thanks Petlover!) goes a long way. Especially as exceptions have been made before.

Miriam

Miriam. We had to cancel a cruise in April 2 days before we were due to fly out, due to the illness and subsequent death of my mother-in-law. Azamara refunded us 100% of the port taxes and fees plus our shore excursion. We of course forfeited the rest of our payments to them but our insurance covered most of the loss. We are in the UK but I don't think that should make a difference so it might be worth you contacting Azamara again.

Hilary

Hilary, now I am totally confused! From what I heard from our TA,, and from everything I read on Az website and on several other "general" websites - I gathered that these are the rules. It says "gross fare", or "total fare" and even mentions hotel arrangements and other adds -on (but not shore excursions!!) - as "non refundable". It's true that it also says :

The policies shown here are for the United States and Canada only. Residents of any other country should contact their local office or travel partner.

But I can't imagine they will give the Brits something they don't give Americans.. :)

Maybe Andy or Bonnie know more about these rules?

Miriam

Hilary, now I am totally confused! From what I heard from our TA,, and from everything I read on Az website and on several other "general" websites - I gathered that these are the rules. It says "gross fare", or "total fare" and even mentions hotel arrangements and other adds -on (but not shore excursions!!) - as "non refundable". It's true that it also says :

The policies shown here are for the United States and Canada only. Residents of any other country should contact their local office or travel partner.

But I can't imagine they will give the Brits something they don't give Americans.. :)

Maybe Andy or Bonnie know more about these rules?

Miriam

Hi Miriam,

Here in the US, when you cancel a cruise, I'm fairly certain that port charges and taxes (which show as a separate line item on your booking confirmation) are refunded. With that said, I'm unaware of the policies outside of the US, or if it's an unusual circumstance.

Wish I could be of more assistance, but we'll have to wait and see if anyone from Azamara chimes in on this one. Good Luck !

Hi Miriam,

Here in the US, when you cancel a cruise, I'm fairly certain that port charges and taxes (which show as a separate line item on your booking confirmation) are refunded. With that said, I'm unaware of the policies outside of the US, or if it's an unusual circumstance.

Wish I could be of more assistance, but we'll have to wait and see if anyone from Azamara chimes in on this one. Good Luck !

Andy, is it based on previous experience with AZ, or just something more general? I too book through an American agent and our "fees" and "transfer" appeared in seperate lines and still it was calculated the way it was (i.e. lumped together :))

Trying to find my way through all those websites available about cruise companies' penalties and refunds - made me curious about these "port charges, taxes and add-ons" . So far it looks like there are real differences between cruise lines.. While some of them clearly state that they "exclude" certain things from penalties (like port charges and taxes - see Celebrity) - other companies put "total fare" as the basis for calculating penalties - like Az - and many others. Still.. maybe they do act sometimes differently at their own discretion? (like in cases of 100% penalty?)

Although I don't suppose this kind of information will affect anyone's decision to book a cruise with a certain company as opposed to another (contrary to what some may think, we at least do not buy a cruise thinking that we will cancel it! :)) , it could be useful to know the refund policy while buying an insurance .. or if one needs to decide whether to book a transfer or an hotel through the cruise company much time in advance..

Anyway, lots of time to look at all this "later".. :)

Miriam

Hi !

I am sure that you will ALL be happy to hear that I got an answer - and a very positive one too!

It didn't come from L. P. himself, but from somebody high enough (I presume) in the AZ hierarchy to deal with decisions of this kind. They recognized the very "special circumstances" of our case and "to prove their dedication towards excellent service" they are granting us back our penalty payment - as a credit towards future cruise on Azamara!

(there are some restrictions to this future use - but we can "live with them "- easily and gladly! :))

I know that my TA worked hard for us to achieve this outcome .. and that they were others who also put in a good word for us.

And then I really want to say thanks to this community!

I don't know it for a fact, but I am sure that the support and sympathy we got here must have helped. There is this "something" in the ambiance of the AZ ships that trickles to their fans - and makes these forums so helpful..

So thank you all - those who posted here - and those who wrote me privately ..

And see you soon on future great cruises!! :):):)

Miriam