Why Big Price Differences For Kusadasi/Ephesus Tours?

I have been looking at several tour companies for our visit to Kusadasi and Ephesus later this year. I see wide differences in prices vs what is included in the tours, and was wondering if this reflects the quality of the tour company and it's personnel. I have listed the four companies I am considering. For the itinerary examples below, each company is listed by price, low to high. What I find interesting is that as the prices get higher, there is less offered in the tour. Is the old saying "You get what you pay for" applicable here?

EPHESUS DELUXE @ $70 USD (early booking discount):

- 7-1/2 hours

- Ephesus Ancient City w/Terrace Houses

- Virgin Mary's House

- The Basilica of St. John

- Temple of Artemis

- Selcuk Museum

- Lunch Included

HELLO EPHESUS @ $90 USD:

- 7-1/2 hours

- Virgin Mary's House

- Temple of Artemis

- Lunch Included

EPHESUS TOURS @ $99 USD:

- 7-1/2 hours

- Virgin Mary's House

- Temple of Artemis

- Lunch included

EKOL TRAVEL @ $109 USD:

- 6 hours

- Virgin Mary's House

- Temple of Artemis

So, who should I go with????

Edited by boogs

I don't know about the others but when we did EKOL, the only people included in the tour was our party of two. We had a guide and a driver.

Do the others add people from different groups together to get up to a certain number of people?

From what I understand, competition is stiff in Kusadasi among tour groups, so prices are pretty competitive. Ekol is probably the most established agency (and the one I have used twice) so perhaps one reason their prices are higher is that the demand is greater or better word of mouth.

However....

I also have reason to suspect that some of the lower-priced agencies are actually run as a sideline by the carpet merchants. The included "free lunch" is nothing more than an excuse to stop at a so-called carpet school or factory in an attempt to get you to buy. Some people enjoy the experience, others (like me) don't want to waste time with this activity when there are other, more authentic experiences to enjoy. So -- in short, the lunch included and longer tour means in all likelihood that you'll be spending that hour to hour and a half at a carpet place. Just sayin'....

As to the museum in Selcuk, I think some tours don't include it because frankly, a lot of tourists don't have the interest. However, I've been and I'd highly recommend it if you are into ancient history.

Any of the tours are basically private tours and provide you with a starting point. The important thing is that it is YOUR tour -- you can change or modify it if you want. I'm sure Ekol could add the museum if you want to see it.

When we e-mailed Ekol about tours, they offered us a discount off the website price for early booking. I went back and looked at the website and there was nothing there about this, so the price you are seeing may not be the final price. You may want to write them if you are interested in this company.

I haven't seen his name mentioned on these boards lately but Kagan Kosagen's guides have come highly recommended by members of CruiseCritic. In fact, he's added a third guide for Ephesus and all 3 of them have been booked by members of our roll call for June 18. Yelda and Taner were reserved last summer and the newest guide in the fall. Kagan doesn't include carpet shops in his tours but does give the option of a mosque visit. I believe this is his website: www.privatetoursinturkey.com.

We were thrilled to be able to join up with our rollcall member who booked Taner- there are 8 of us and the cost pp works out to @44E at last year's prices and without admissions.

You are sweating 20-30 bucks :eek: How much did your flight and cruise cabin cost :D

One of the nicest things about the Turkey stop is the price. Splurge and go with the most expensive, sometimes you don't get what you pay for but often when you skimp you can get suprirsed both in a good and bad way.

We went with the top dollar and at least in Kusadasi with the guide EKOL gave us, WONDERFUL!

I have been looking at several tour companies for our visit to Kusadasi and Ephesus later this year. I see wide differences in prices vs what is included in the tours, and was wondering if this reflects the quality of the tour company and it's personnel. I have listed the four companies I am considering. For the itinerary examples below, each company is listed by price, low to high. What I find interesting is that as the prices get higher, there is less offered in the tour. Is the old saying "You get what you pay for" applicable here?

EPHESUS DELUXE @ $70 USD (early booking discount):

- 7-1/2 hours

- Virgin Mary's House

- Temple of Artemis

- Selcuk Museum

- Lunch Included

HELLO EPHESUS @ $90 USD:

- 7-1/2 hours

- Virgin Mary's House

- Temple of Artemis

- Lunch Included

EPHESUS TOURS @ $99 USD:

- 7-1/2 hours

- Virgin Mary's House

- Temple of Artemis

- Lunch included

EKOL TRAVEL @ $109 USD:

- 6 hours

- Virgin Mary's House

- Temple of Artemis

So, who should I go with????

You are sweating 20-30 bucks :eek: How much did your flight and cruise cabin cost :D

No need to get sarcastic! I'm really not that dumb! ;)

It's not so much the price - I don't mind paying for the better product. It's about the best experience. I have been leaning towards EKOL, but just like I research my cruises before buying, I am researching the tours as well.

One of the nicest things about the Turkey stop is the price. Splurge and go with the most expensive, sometimes you don't get what you pay for but often when you skimp you can get suprirsed both in a good and bad way.

We went with the top dollar and at least in Kusadasi with the guide EKOL gave us, WONDERFUL!

Edited by boogs

Well than... go with Ekol see if the giude Ali is still with them.

Skip the Temple of Artemis nothing there, wasted stop :D

If you are into the biblical Mary's house is worth a look, or if you are curious. We didn't do it and instead did stop at a leather shop. Shopping isn't for everyone but we had a blast as we had the place all to ourselves and got to do a fashion show.

No need to get sarcastic! I'm really not that dumb! ;)

It's not so much the price - I don't mind paying for the better product. It's about the best experience. I have been leaning towards EKOL, but just like I research my cruises before buying, I am researching the tours as well.

Honestly, your attitude about price gets a little tiresome. Perhaps for some, saving $30 per person (let's say x4 for the average family) times every port stop on a 12-day cruise -- well, that just about equals another plane fare.

Personally, I'd rather do Europe "on the cheap' and be able to go more often, than spend thousands of dollars more on a "blowout" cruise once every few years....

Plus, just paying more does not always guarantee one is getting the best experience for one's own personal travel style. I have a pretty good idea I'd not be a happy camper on one of RIL's tours with a singing driver, for example.

If you are into the biblical Mary's house is worth a look, or if you are curious. We didn't do it and instead did stop at a leather shop. Shopping isn't for everyone but we had a blast as we had the place all to ourselves and got to do a fashion show.

Hmm, well perhaps that's your opinion, but not the opinion of everyone. :rolleyes: On my first tour in Ephesus, we could only see the one standing pillar of the Temple from afar (from the ruins of the basilica of St. John). I was very sorry I didn't get to the actual site. On my third visit to Kusadasi, I finally got there. Well worth seeing the site of one of the seven ancient wonders of the world......for those who care about such things.

On various visits to Kusadasi, I have been to the rug "school", the leather factory (with runway show), and the ceramics store. Now THERE are some good examples of a wasted stop. IMHO, of course.

Honestly, your attitude about price gets a little tiresome. Perhaps for some, saving $30 per person (let's say x4 for the average family) times every port stop on a 12-day cruise -- well, that just about equals another plane fare.

Personally, I'd rather do Europe "on the cheap' and be able to go more often, than spend thousands of dollars more on a "blowout" cruise once every few years....

Plus, just paying more does not always guarantee one is getting the best experience for one's own personal travel style. I have a pretty good idea I'd not be a happy camper on one of RIL's tours with a singing driver, for example.

Hmm, well perhaps that's your opinion, but not the opinion of everyone. :rolleyes: On my first tour in Ephesus, we could only see the one standing pillar of the Temple from afar (from the ruins of the basilica of St. John). I was very sorry I didn't get to the actual site. On my third visit to Kusadasi, I finally got there. Well worth seeing the site of one of the seven ancient wonders of the world......for those who care about such things.

On various visits to Kusadasi, I have been to the rug "school", the leather factory (with runway show), and the ceramics store. Now THERE are some good examples of a wasted stop. IMHO, of course.

Just an FYI, if you saw the one pillar you saw it all, and did not miss a thing. There is really not much there and you as good a view from the Basilica of St. John as you do up close. It is really a let down considering what it once was, in its glory.

You can see the few pics that I took of it here:

It is really a waste of time.

Edited by zqvol

Just an FYI, if you saw the one pillar you saw it all, and did not miss a thing. There is really not much there and you as good a view from the Basilica of St. John as you do up close. It is really a let down considering what it once was, in its glory.

You can see the few pics that I took of it here:

4693457594_b680a027bd.jpg

If you read my full post above, I did get there eventually. And to me, seeing it close up was worth it. YMMV. Yes, I know what it looked like in its heyday.

For me it is the same sort of thing as with the site of Troy or Carthage. They haven't been reconstructed to a fare-thee-well like Ephesus or Knossos. But for me there is a thrill of having been there, on the site, and experienced it. I can visualize in my mind's eye how it looked. Perhaps from so many years of looking at ruins....

Edited by cruisemom42

boogs,

We toured Ephesus/terrace house last Sept with Hello Ephesus. It was a half day tour. Nothing else no lunch. We were picked up by van with tour guide Suzan. We got to Epehsus by 9:00 am. The crowds had not yet arrived. Half way thru the site we went to the Terrace Houses site. It was not crowded at all. In fact our guide knew the head archelogist and he told us what his team were working on that week. By the time we left and walked towards the Celsius library, it was packed with folks. It was now about 11:30. glad we were on our way out. Had a great lunch after van dropped us off back at port. Spent the rest of afternoon walking around the bazaar. It was a perfect day all around.

It cost us $50.00 pp.USD paid in dollars at end of tour.

boogs,

We toured Ephesus/terrace house last Sept with Hello Ephesus. It was a half day tour. Nothing else no lunch. We were picked up by van with tour guide Suzan. We got to Epehsus by 9:00 am. The crowds had not yet arrived. Half way thru the site we went to the Terrace Houses site. It was not crowded at all. In fact our guide knew the head archelogist and he told us what his team were working on that week. By the time we left and walked towards the Celsius library, it was packed with folks. It was now about 11:30. glad we were on our way out. Had a great lunch after van dropped us off back at port. Spent the rest of afternoon walking around the bazaar. It was a perfect day all around.

It cost us $50.00 pp.USD paid in dollars at end of tour.

Boogs,

Our experience with Ephesus Deluxe was similar to Azulann's with Hello Ephesus. It was just the two of with a guide and a driver for a 4 hour tour (not the full day tour you're talking about. The mini van was modern and comfortable with facing rear seats so that the guide could talk to us on our drive out.

Our guide, "Rose", was ok. She was mentioned in another thread as outstanding, but we weren't that enthusiastic about her. She asked us to see a carpet factory on the way back, and we declined. Then she asked if she could take us to a leather factory, and we declined that as well. She didn't give us a hard time, but really had nothing further to say to us all the way back to the ship.

I will say that Deniz from Ephesus Deluxe was a pleasure to work with...our cruise itinerary had changed several times (due to the revolution in Egypt), so he had to rearrange our reservations more than once. It was complicated a bit by the fact that we had also bundled our tour in Istanbul through them.

I agree with Cruisemom on the Temple of Artemis. While it's not a site that you'll devote a lot of time to on a tour like this, it was worth seeing. Take the time to read up about it before you go, and look at some artist's conceptions of what it looked like in its glory. It will be a staggering contrast to the sparse ruins you will see.

I tried to book with EKOL but their reservation web page is not an "https" (secure) site. I refuse to put any of my credit card information to reserve a tour (or to pay for anything) without the safety incription. Was anyone else able to get around this and if so, how?

thanks!

Edited by localady

4 x 30 x 10 ( after all there are usually two sea days ) = 1200

4 x 1100 ( airfare ) + 1500 ( ship ) = 10,400 for the ship and airfare, but wait there is them excursions I saved 30 bucks / person on.

Hmm than lets assume the best excursions of course type in evey port so we are talking 120/personx10 = 4800 or so

So total is.... 15,200 + or minus a little, than there is drinks tips, lets just say we are cheap and go to 16000. So I gues them 30 bucks is about 7% of the total trip cost. So I guess if I take 15 more cruise than I get one free.. :D

Edited by chipmaster

I tried to book with EKOL but their reservation web page is not an "https" (secure) site. I refuse to put any of my credit card information to reserve a tour (or to pay for anything) without the safety incription. Was anyone else able to get around this and if so, how?

thanks!

Yeah, this is a problem with EKOL and quite a few other sites in Turkey. We happen to think EKOL is an excellent company but they need to find a way to get themselves a secure server. When we have dealed with EKOL we normally fax our credit card info since that is relatively secure. These folks have treated us real well. In fact, 2 or 3 years ago (the last time we were in Kusadasi) we had booked a private guide (for just the 2 of us) and made a deposit. Several weeks later "Nur" (who we hear is not longer working at Ekol) sent us an e-mail informing us of a promotion and reducing our tour price (we never even asked).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

thanks!

We have hired Ekol for our stop in Kusadasi this summer. When we balked at giving them our credit card info by unsecure website or e-mail (also unsecure), they let us reserve without giving the credit card and said we could pay the day of the tour. We did this by e-mail instead of using the website reservation system.

FWIW they told me the price of a secure website in Turkey is very high and that's why they don't have one.

We used Ali from Ekol in October. Although it was our second trip to Ephesus, we learned so much more than on our first tour. (cruise excursion) We paid by credit card at the end of the tour. I also vote for the Temple of Artemis!

thanks!

I recently booked a tour in Santorini for 4 of us and was able to use Paypal as a means for sending the deposit. I find paypal a very secure way of sending money to sites that I feel may or may not offer full security. I always feel uncomfortable faxing my credit card information as there maybe no control over who picks up the fax. :eek:

Well than... go with Ekol see if the giude Ali is still with them.

i have to laugh...Temple of Artemis, WAS a joke .....all that was left was a single pillar and Mary's House well maybe Mary or someone named Mary lived there, the Pope (not the current one) did say mass there, we are skipping this one this time also....booked Ekol and asked for Ali again! i am pretty sure the more people in your group the less the cost will be....I know I am paying more for the 2 of us this yr compared to what I paid per person last year but we had been a party of 4 last year.

Last year the heat in Sept on our Ephesus visit was killer hot, if you go during the hot months make sure you have an umbrella (not for rain) I know it sounds crazy but I would have killed for shade, any shade on the Ephesus site!

Happy exploring :)

thanks!

Send them an e-mail and do it that way.

i have to laugh...Temple of Artemis, WAS a joke .....all that was left was a single pillar

A joke?? :mad:

There is no need to be insulting just because it wasn't your cup of tea. Perhaps a little research in advance would've revealed that it was a place you could skip.

However, there is no need to be insulting. I'm sure I'm not the only one with an interest in history, or mythology, or the ancient Wonders of the World, or the sites associated with Alexander the Great, or...... well, you get my point. Or more likely, you probably don't.