3 days in Bermuda...help me plan our time

midwestchick

3 days. The first day we are going snorkeling, the 2nd we'll be taking a tour (that is when I'd be in Hamilton) and the 3rd we'll stay close to the Dockyard.

If I had it to do over, I would definitely visit the store in Hamilton....such a beautiful selection of jewelry. We did Hamilton on our own. The buses and ferries are a great way to go. Enjoy! I hope you post back what you did and if you purchase, maybe post a picture. I wish now I would have purchased the necklace that matches the ring.

Thank you so much for the info. This looks like what I have in mind as a perfect itinerary for our first trip to Bermuda in two weeks, except for maybe the flyboarding! I have been concerned that if we manage to find a Boston whaler to rent on Day 1 with such short notice (I only booked our cruise about two weeks ago and have just last week discovered that this was possible) that we will not make Harbour Nights since the Summit doesn't dock until 8:30a or so. I really want to keep Day 2 open for just exploring the beach path and enjoying whatever we come upon. Your review makes me think we might be able to make it work.

Just back from our NCL Breakaway cruise to Bermuda and we had an AMAZING time. Here is an overview of our itinerary- it worked out perfectly!!

Day 1- St. George and Renting a Boston Whaler

The ship arrived in Bermuda around 7am, people began getting off around 7:40am before announcement was made- so if you are in a hurry to get off it may be worth hanging around Deck 4.

That was for @layn133. Sorry! I'm new around here:)

If I had it to do over, I would definitely visit the store in Hamilton....such a beautiful selection of jewelry. We did Hamilton on our own. The buses and ferries are a great way to go. Enjoy! I hope you post back what you did and if you purchase, maybe post a picture. I wish now I would have purchased the necklace that matches the ring.

I'll see if I can sneak some time in the mall in Hamilton.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

What is the distance from the ship to Clocktower Mall? Are there ship excursions that include this mall?

Also, what currency is accepted in Bermuda for dining/shopping at the mall?

Thanks!

It's a short walk from the ship to the Clocktower Mall. If you don't want to walk there's also a free tram that operates on the Dockyard grounds . No ship excursions necessary! This is not a US-style huge shopping mall. Just some small shops including branches of some stores based in Hamilton. It's a place to spend an hour or two, not a day. Here's a map of Dockyard. The Clocktower Mall is on the left. As you run your cursor over the markers the names will pop up.

http://dockyardbermuda.com/planning-your-visit/

The Bermuda dollar and US dollar are on par and US currency is accepted everywhere.

Edited by njhorseman

It's a short walk from the ship to the Clocktower Mall. If you don't want to walk there's also a free tram that operates on the Dockyard grounds . No ship excursions necessary! This is not a US-style huge shopping mall. Just some small shops including branches of some stores based in Hamilton. It's a place to spend an hour or two, not a day. Here's a map of Dockyard. The Clocktower Mall is on the left. As you run your cursor over the markers the names will pop up.

http://dockyardbermuda.com/planning-your-visit/

The Bermuda dollar and US dollar are on par and US currency is accepted everywhere.

Excellent! Thanks, njhorseman!

• 3 months later...

Hi I have been doing research and wondering if this is doable and/or sounds right:

1st day we are doing a helmet dive then want to take bus 7 (pink there blue back) to see Gibbs lighthouse.

2nd day take the first ferry (blue) over to Hamilton then bus 3 (blue pole) to crystal caves (arriving as they open) then after we are done take bus 3 (pink pole) back to Hamilton then board the #7 bus (blue pole) and get off at Warrick Long Bay..then wander and walk along the paths over to Horseshoe Bay then take the #7 (bluepole) back to the dockyard

3rd day buy any last minute items (if we didnt buy enough souvenirs at our other stops) at the shops right there by the dock or enjoy an empty ship while others are out finishing up their stay.

Hi I have been doing research and wondering if this is doable and/or sounds right:

1st day we are doing a helmet dive then want to take bus 7 (pink there blue back) to see Gibbs lighthouse.

2nd day take the first ferry (blue) over to Hamilton then bus 3 (blue pole) to crystal caves (arriving as they open) then after we are done take bus 3 (pink pole) back to Hamilton then board the #7 bus (blue pole) and get off at Warrick Long Bay..then wander and walk along the paths over to Horseshoe Bay then take the #7 (bluepole) back to the dockyard

3rd day buy any last minute items (if we didnt buy enough souvenirs at our other stops) at the shops right there by the dock or enjoy an empty ship while others are out finishing up their stay.

On the three items I've highlighted in red:

For the #7 bus going to Gibbs Hill Lighthouse you'll be boarding the bus at its first stop in the Dockyard, so there's no "pink pole" to look for or worry about.

You can take the #1, 3, 10 or 11 bus to get from Hamilton to the caves. (Same buses to return to Hamilton.) Further, you'll be boarding the bus to the caves in Hamilton at the main bus terminal, so there are no pink or blue poles to look for. When you're returning to Hamilton use the pink pole bus stop.

When taking the #7 from Hamilton to go to Warwick Long Bay you'll be boarding the bus at the main bus terminal, so again no pink or blue poles. Going back to Dockyard from Horseshoe Bay use the blue pole bus stop.

Edited by njhorseman

• 4 months later...

Quick question again. I thought I had this written somewhere but cant find it now. I see I can take bus 1, 3, 10 or 11 to get from Hamilton Ferry to the Caves...is there a time difference in taking a different route over the other? I have a note that one is more scenic over the others but I cant find my notes on which is quicker or slower.

Quick question again. I thought I had this written somewhere but cant find it now. I see I can take bus 1, 3, 10 or 11 to get from Hamilton Ferry to the Caves...is there a time difference in taking a different route over the other? I have a note that one is more scenic over the others but I cant find my notes on which is quicker or slower.

Bus routes #10 & #11 take a shorter route to the caves. The route is along the North Shore, travel time - about 25-30 minutes, but leaves you at a bus stop that is further from the caves than the stop for the routes #1 & #3 buses.

Bus route #1 takes about 45 minutes and travels an inland route.

Bus route #3 takes about 38 minutes and travels an inland route.

Routes #1 & #3 buses each depart every 30 minutes. Routes #10 & #11 buses, in combo, depart every 15 minutes.

SBtS

Bus routes #10 & #11 take a shorter route to the caves. The route is along the North Shore, travel time - about 25-30 minutes, but leaves you at a bus stop that is further from the caves than the stop for the routes #1 & #3 buses.

Bus route #1 takes about 45 minutes and travels an inland route.

Bus route #3 takes about 38 minutes and travels an inland route.

Routes #1 & #3 buses each depart every 30 minutes. Routes #10 & #11 buses, in combo, depart every 15 minutes.

SBtS

Thanks. ..what stop do we ask for on each route? We are looking to get there and then when done head to the beaches...if it were you which route would you take? Both of us have no issues with walking but obviously have a full day and want to make sure we have the time.

Thanks. ..what stop do we ask for on each route? We are looking to get there and then when done head to the beaches...if it were you which route would you take? Both of us have no issues with walking but obviously have a full day and want to make sure we have the time.

If you are on #10 or #11 bus, you could asked to be dropped at the stop closest to the caves, or at the Swizzle Inn. If you are on #1 or #3 bus, you would asked to be dropped at the stop for the caves.

In the map below, route #1 & #3 buses enter the map at the bottom, and go by the access road to the caves. The bus stop is close to the beginning of the access road. Route #10 & #11 buses enter the map at the top left corner under the word Hamilton. The bus stop for these buses is in front of the Swizzle Inn.

All the buses continue to St George on Blue Hole Hill leaving the map in the top right corner.

When I went to the caves, I took the #10 or #11 because of the view and travel time.

MapToCavesV3.jpg

SBtS

SBTS thanks for the info. I believe it is the breakaway that is in port with us...do you think we will have issues with full busses and not being able to get on?

I think there will be a problem with buses for those going to HSB, but not to the caves. Since the caves open at 9:00 AM, be there as close to that time as possible before the tour buses start arriving.

Reading your earlier posts, you wrote that you'll take the first ferry to Hamilton which is at 7:30AM (2015 schedule) which is good. Then a leisurely walk to the Central Bus Terminal on Church St where you'll board the first #10 or # 11 bus you see. Doing this should put you at the caves by opening time.

SBtS

Great thank you. I have changed my notes to take the #10 or #11 as it sounds better. I googled the area between Swizzle and the Caves and see there is a nice tree lined path, with easy signs guiding the way. Of course I also stumbled upon Baileys Ice Cream...so I know we will be making a stop there on the way back to the bus after the caves. I have not shown it to DH yet but he will jump for joy. I see they also have sandwiches which hopefully are wrapped so maybe we could take them in our bag and have a picnic on the beach..if not we will just eat there and then catch the bus back to Hamilton to get the #7 to Warrick. Saw the Café Ole at the caves also has some inexpensive food like burgers salads and such if we wanted to do that then the ice cream......as no matter what we do or don't eat I know 100% we will be doing the ice cream. We always like to try to find local sweets and try them...one cruise we found local cupcake places in each port...gained more than the average cruise weight on that one...haha. You have been such a great help.

Edited by cruzrbachoua

Just back from our NCL Breakaway cruise to Bermuda and we had an AMAZING time. Here is an overview of our itinerary- it worked out perfectly!!

Day 1- St. George and Renting a Boston Whaler

The ship arrived in Bermuda around 7am, people began getting off around 7:40am before announcement was made- so if you are in a hurry to get off it may be worth hanging around Deck 4.

We went to the buffet around 7am and ate breakfast before we headed out for a long day. We got off just about 8am and headed right to the St. George ferry line. We had gotten our 2 day transportation passes on the ship so we avoided that line. There was only 3 people in line so we sat on benches nearby and people watched. Around 8:30 we got in line (at this point there was 5-6 people). I am glad we got in line then because within the next 15 minutes the line got really LONG!

We took the 45 minute ferry to St.George and walked around town. Not a lot was open at this point but we just poked around. Then we walked to Tobacco Bay for some snorkeling. We visited The Unfinished Church on the way and then hung around and snorkeled for an hour or so. It was fairly busy there and a lot smaller than I expected. We ate a quick beach lunch there (the fish was good!) and walked back to town.

We found it not entirely intuitive to walk around, especially when trying to find the bus stop. I think I was expecting something with clearer labels. The map we got from guest services on the ship helped.

We took Bus 11 (could have done 1,3, 10 or 11) to Grotto Bay. Here we rented a Boston Whaler for 4 hours from Blue Hole Watersports (on Grotto Bay Resort's beach). We chose them over some of the other popular ones because we wanted to explore Castle Harbour and Castle Island. This was beautiful, secluded and fun. We saw two sea turtles on our trip and got to see Nonsuch Island and several forts. The only negative is it was a bit choppy so it was hard to get in and out of the boat. We were able to anchor in near the beach and hop off in about 3.5 feet of water which was a lot of fun!

We ended up back in Hamilton with intentions of going to Harbour Nights but we were too tired and went back to the ship via the Hamilton ferry instead. It looked like the lines to get there were lengthy- but heading back to the ship was a breeze.

Day 2 (Flyboarding and Beach Walk)

My husband did flyboarding in the dockyard through Coconut Rockets. He loved it so much he is already looking for places to do it locally. I would describe it as Iron Man on water. You have to check it out! My husband does waveboard and snow board so he found it pretty easy to get up but I think I would have never made it. I did see a range of people successfully doing it throughout our trip though. Check out my video below to see more.

We had lunch on the ship and spent some time in the spa before heading out to the beaches. Here is my one definitely recommendation- do not go directly to Horseshoe Bay- take Bus 7 (you can't take the Special Bus to do this) one stop past Horseshoe at Warwick Bay. From there you will get off at a fairly quiet beach- if you go to your right you will be at Jobson's Cove which has beautiful rock formations. And if you continue following the sandy dune path, it will take you on a walk (probably .75 miles) to beach after beach and hillside with amazing views where you will often be the only people on the beach. It was breathtaking. There are lots of photos in the video below. You will end up at Horseshoe and can take the bus home from there. And an even better bonus- the sand was actually pinker that way!

My only negative- and it was a big one for us :(- a bag of my husband's snorkel gear was stolen off the bus. The driver had told us to leave it wedged in front because he had a fishing rod with him. We did and then sort of got pushed to the middle of the bus (standing room only). When we got back to the front the bag was gone. Sadly someone even had the time to take out some of the fishing gear and left it- which bothered me because it meant it was very planned out. I have to say the bus driver was not very nice about it- he didn't even say sorry or do anything, he shrugged his shoulders and said I am not sure what happened, someone must have taken it while I wasn't looking. He would not even tell us his name which was disappointing because when we did go to the dockyard police station they said it would have been helpful. I will say the police were nice about it- but they acknowledged there really was little they could do. The good news is that my husband had purchased it on his credit card recently- and it turns out they cover theft of purchases from the last 120 days!

Day 3- Hidden Gems Tour (booked through NCL)

This is a pricy tour- but it was an amazing way to maximize the last day in Bermuda. The tour runs from 9am-4pm and since it is booked through NCL- no worries if it runs late.

The 10 person tour consists of a walk through Tom Moore's Jungle where you will see a blue lagoon and then a dry cave exploration where you will have a hands on experience with all of the features of the cave (Did you know that you can tap on some of the stalactites they make a musical sound?). Next up was swimming in a cave (which was my favorite part!) and then cliff jumping from 10 or 15 foot cliffs.

After you leave the jungle you have lunch at St. David's lighthouse (amazing views!) and then snorkel at Cooper's Nature Reserve. The trip ends with an ice cream parlor stop (included) across from The Swizzle Inn. The tour guides were informative and personable and narrated the entire tour along the south short. I can't recommend this tour enough.

Hope this is helpful to someone! I learned so much from reading these boards and wanted to give back in some way. :-)

If you are more visual- there are lots of pictures from our 3 days on the video I made of our time on the islands https://youtu.be/p3tUDuW2l-U

We tried to watch the video but it says it is private?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...