What's so special about a Bermuda cruise?

FLUFFLULA

We've never been to Bermuda, although we've been on a number of Caribbean cruises to western, eastern and southern regions. Bermuda just seems so close to the US, so it's hard to imagine why some folks like to cruise there. What kinds of things are there to do and can three days be to much time to spend there? BTW, my DH and I are in our early 60's and enjoy leisurely cruising and exploring ports and usually like more port than sea days.

Thanks for any help you can give us!

We've never been to Bermuda, although we've been on a number of Caribbean cruises to western, eastern and southern regions. Bermuda just seems so close to the US, so it's hard to imagine why some folks like to cruise there. What kinds of things are there to do and can three days be to much time to spend there? BTW, my DH and I are in our early 60's and enjoy leisurely cruising and exploring ports and usually like more port than sea days.

Thanks for any help you can give us!

I was blown away by Bermuda. Lovely people, great beaches and warm seas (like the Caribbean) but also lots of history and places of interest to look around, with 3 very different main areas to visit. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]D3ZnJmToL5c[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]WeaD2EeS_SI[/YOUTUBE]

There are so many things to see and do in Bermuda that 3 days is not enough time. You could spend a full day exploring St. George and all the history and culture it has to offer. You could spend a second day doing the caves and aquarium and a third day at one of the many beaches available. That covers 3 days and you still haven't gotten to go to Sea Glass Beach, Hamilton, or spent a day exploring the Dock Yard. Believe me, if you go to Bermuda, you would not be bored.

We took our third cruise to Bermuda last month. No question that it is the best destination reachable from Baltimore for a short trip. None of the Caribbean craziness. Which means that if you are into that, look elsewhere.

But if you want to rest and relax without touts and hustlers, without t-shirt merchants and trinket vendors Bermuda is the place.

I just booked a seven-day cruise Sept. 4 from Baltimore. On Carnival Pride. On the Bermuda cruise the ship is not the destination, the island is.

If you are considering Bermuda, check those two Sept. sailings (the other one is 09/18). Well-priced for seven days. We like the Pride. The 4K cabin bargains rule.

Hi! Barb. We're booked 9/18 on the Pride. I think this will be close to 20 times for us. Never get tired of Bermuda. No scooters for us any more, 20 years ago it was fun. Sailing out of Baltimore is my choice of ports. Bermuda on the Pride will be different.

Evie

Well, when I was thinking of cruising to Bermuda, I went online and read about it myself. I came here and read reviews. I read on Trip Advisor. I looked at photos.

What anyone else likes or wants from their cruise may not be what you or I want or like, so I like to read and make my own decisions on what will be "best" for me.

Some people don't seem to even realize that Bermuda is in the Atlantic and isn't a Caribbean island.

Google is our friend! :D

I did sail there but only had 1-1/2 days in port. That wasn't long enough to see even 1/2 of the island, let alone the beaches and historical sites, so I'm going back in a month and will have almost three full days.

Very friendly island. Moongates every where. Great beaches and historical sights. Town of St. Georges with walking distance to tobacco bay for snorkeling and swimming and Alexandria battery, fort st. Catherine. Bus and ferry system excellent. Taxis a plenty. city of Hamilton for shopping and historical sights, Fort Hamilton. Bermuda Underwater museum in town also. Crystal caves, zoo, aquarium, Swizzle Inn in center of island accessible by bus. Gibbs Hill lighthouse and Fort Scaur. There is also St. David's lighthouse. Dockyard (where ship docks) has snorkel park, good restaurants, commissioner's house, shopping, Glass blowing and rum cake factory, Victulating Yard, dolphin experience, bus and ferry service to St. Georges and Hamilton. Cross smallest drawbridge on way to south Shore beaches.

Suggest you take morning tour and see a lot and then go from there.

A great place to visit.

Evie

I have a summer home in Cape Cod, so I never had any desire to go to Bermuda. But, I lost my job in April, so I cruised there the first week in May cuz it's so easy out of NY when you live there. I was blown away by Horseshoe Beach! The most beautiful beach I've ever been to. Before that, Eagle Beach in Aruba was #1, probably followed by Orient Beach. A great cruise!

Unlike a lot of the Caribbean islands, Bermuda for the most part is a very clean and safe island. People are friendly and the island is beautiful. Beaches are amazing. I've been there 15 times (in my 43 years on earth) and I'm going again in two weeks.

The best things about Bermuda have already been stated here - the warm friendly people, the magnificent beaches, fabulous snorkeling, fascinating history and so much more. The Pubs. Did I mention the Pubs?

I love cruising but there are a couple things I don't particularly like. Being hassled by locals to get my hair braided or to buy a sarong fifteen times by the same vendor or being offered drugs are a couple things I do not enjoy. Worrying about my purse or other belongings being grabbed is another. None of these things are a problem in Bermuda.

The thing I hate most is rushing back to the ship mid-afternoon after a few short hours in a port to stand in a long line to get back onboard.

On a Bermuda cruise, with everyone coming and going off the ship at will, there are almost no lines and you have only one deadline to meet! I love that freedom.

Also, Pubs :D

Edited by dznymom

I understand your question... But let me tell you that I got the answer when I went to Bermuda... The most beautiful island I have visited, really!!! It is absolutly nothing to compare with any Carribbean islands, it is unique And truly beautiful, with amazing beaches. People are very nice, polite. It is easy and safe to travel around the island.

We went twice in 3 years... Seriously, highly recommended!!!

1. You stay at the island for 2 1/2 days (7 day cruise). The Caribbean cruises I've been only let you enjoy an island for less than 12 hours, then you have to scramble back.

2. It is mor beautiful than any Caribbean island I've seen.

we did a 1 week land trip to Bermuda in Aug. It was not enough time to do everything that I wanted to do. As others have said--beautiful beaches, great exploring, very friendly, very safe, so easy to get around and explore on your own via ferry and bus. I have been to almost every Carib. island and Bermuda is now my favorite island.

for 3 days in port, I would do:

day 1 Horseshoe or Elbow beach AM, Kings Wharf, fort, etc. afternoon. Or Hamilton in the AM and then a beach if you are going to do snorkel park and Kings Wharf on hyour last day.

day 2 St. Georges via ferry all day, then either Tobacco Bay beach (walk or taxi or try to take the beach bus, if it is running (ask at toursit office at the main square) or the Caves via bus and bus or return via bus to St. G and then ferry back to boat.

day 3 snorkel park/Kings Wharf fort if you have an midday departure, if longer, then Hamilton via ferry the AM and then a beach on the #7 bus for a few hours on the way back to the ship, or vice versa taking the ferry back to the ship.