can i access a roll call once the ship has sailed

seapals2

Hello .. quite new to the forums page. Have joined a couple of roll calls for future cruises. Our Australian one will start very soon. :) Once on board will we be able to still access al the information that has been posted if we connect to wifi. It would be the ideal place to arrange meetings / get togethers once the ship has sailed. I seem to be unable to access any roll calls for past sailings which would be of interest as very often the questions are repeated. It would be a good thread to ask questions while members are sailing and can give first hand up to date replies.

You can access the roll calls even after cruise is finished. Lots of times people will post reviews or talk about things that happened. People also share photos after the fact.

Also you can go to the ship reviews where people sometimes write about their excursions as well as the ship, food and cabins.

What we really wanted to know was how the Bath House on the Diamond Princess is being operated now the ship has moved to Australian waters. On the cruises that have been visiting Japanese ports the bathing area is segregated and passengers enter nude .. I kid you not! We are thinking that if the majority of passengers on our cruise are Australians how will this operate. I have seen a suggestion that it will revert to something more akin to a thermal suite with swimwear worn.

I read somewhere "they" (the PTB) were in fact locking past Roll Calls, sometimes before those who sailed could even share photos. I have not checked if this is true on my ship, which is currently sailing the same itinerary as we will do in two-and-a-half weeks.

countdown.pl?image=alaska&name=crystalspin&date=11-24-2014&text=Around Cape Horn!&ship=Zaandam

@sea_pals

If you're talking about accessing internet while on the ship and using that to coordinate meetings -- internet at sea is VERY slow and fairly expensive, and most of your shipmates will not be signed up to use it at sea. Some may take their devices on shore trips if they are going to have some time on their own to seek out a wifi locale, pub or coffee shop.

Roll calls are set up for a specific purpose on CC. People exchange personal information such as e-mail addy's and that may be why old ones are locked. Each cruise line has a forum (shop the "Community" tab) to find those repeated questions; there are also destination forums for up-to-date information that may have changed since some prior sailing!

You can post on any Roll Call (past, current or future). Most people only participate in a Roll Call for a cruise they are taking. From my experience, there is little activity on a Roll Call once the cruise has started.

I guess you will have already been on the roll call list before the sailing to access the thread. We joined fairly close to taking our cruise and the ship had already sailed on the one before we join. Unless you know another way of searching other than the roll call tool. I can not see any past cruise roll call threads.

At least I know the roll call thread stays 'live' once onboard. I thought it might have just closed once the ship sailed.

We have elite loyalty level with princess so have enough internet minutes to browse. Probably the best perk. Although the free laundry takes some beating on a 28 day cruise.

I guess you will have already been on the roll call list before the sailing to access the thread. We joined fairly close to taking our cruise and the ship had already sailed on the one before we join. Unless you know another way of searching other than the roll call tool. I can not see any past cruise roll call threads.

At least I know the roll call thread stays 'live' once onboard. I thought it might have just closed once the ship sailed.

We have elite loyalty level with princess so have enough internet minutes to browse. Probably the best perk. Although the free laundry takes some beating on a 28 day cruise.

I'm not sure how you are searching, but if you go to Roll Calls, Princess, and then Diamond Princess, there are many Roll Calls listed

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=301

You have to be on the main page of the message boards and scroll down. You can post on any thread that is listed, though it looks like most of them are for 2015.

Yes .. That is how I searched ... There are many dates but all for FUTURE cruises. Nothing prior to my embarkation on the 16th Nov other than I person on the 7th who has got the wrong sailing and probably the wrong ship. Same for all other cruise lines I have searched. Only future cruises.

I would just have liked the option to contact some one on board right now for first hand info but as suggested those passengers are unlikely to be still looking at their messages.

If you go back to the roll calls for Diamond Princess, scroll down all the way to the bottom for Display Options. The default is to only display roll calls which have been posted to in the past month. You can change that to another time frame. But if noone has posted to it in the last month, chances are they aren't going to now. EM

What we really wanted to know was how the Bath House on the Diamond Princess is being operated now the ship has moved to Australian waters. On the cruises that have been visiting Japanese ports the bathing area is segregated and passengers enter nude .. I kid you not! We are thinking that if the majority of passengers on our cruise are Australians how will this operate. I have seen a suggestion that it will revert to something more akin to a thermal suite with swimwear worn.

Yep, that's a subject which is typically best answered by someone who's cruised your itinerary - unless of course yours is the first cruise of the season.

I've used the RollCalls of recently-returned cruises to ask that sort of specific question - as Trainer's comment, they remain live though not as lively.

IIRC, CC's e-mail notifications to folk on that RollCall continue after the cruise, so some will see your post. :)

But because of the slow & expensive internet connection on ships, your RollCall isn't the best communication once aboard. Most folk don't use ship's service, & only a proportion will look into their e-mails or RollCall from time to time at a wifi hot-spot in the ports.

If you want to maintain communication during the cruise, best to swap cabin numbers - though some might be reticent about divulging that sort of info, so don't labour the point. ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Many thanks ... Have just worked it all out and changed my display option and found a couple of previous threads. You're right very little is posted once the ship has sailed.

Have posted a link on my roll call for the coming cruise to the Meet and Mingle page with the option to print name tags and a door sign. Reluctant to use a door sign too. It's better to choose the times you want company. A pre arranged meeting is far better.

I just went to the Roll Call for a cruise I took in 2012. I found it without difficulty, opened it and clicked on post a reply. It brought up the box for typing a post.

Thanks. I was guessing this would be the case if you had joined a roll call for a past cruise. I was searching for roll call threads to cruises I didn't sail but had passengers on who may have been able to answer my question.

Few people seem to leave reviews after they return home given the number who post frequently on roll calls.

Many thanks ... Have just worked it all out and changed my display option and found a couple of previous threads. You're right very little is posted once the ship has sailed.

Have posted a link on my roll call for the coming cruise to the Meet and Mingle page with the option to print name tags and a door sign. Reluctant to use a door sign too. It's better to choose the times you want company. A pre arranged meeting is far better.

The door signs are usually only to identify one as a Cruise Critic member if you want. They are not an invitation for someone to knock on your door to meet and mingle.;) I organized a Meet and Mingle and printed one of the CC door signs with the date, time and location of the meeting. I was able to put it on a stand outside the venue where the meeting would be held.

Thanks. I was guessing this would be the case if you had joined a roll call for a past cruise. I was searching for roll call threads to cruises I didn't sail but had passengers on who may have been able to answer my question.

Few people seem to leave reviews after they return home given the number who post frequently on roll calls.

Sea Pals 2,

I sis not try to post in one, but I could see lots of other old Roll Call threads. Most had no activity for several years

Another suggestion may be to ask your question on the Austalia-New Zeland thread. I find more CC members will post there if the ship is in Australia.

As others have said, you can access roll calls that aren't seen on the Diamond Princess roll call page by changing the date range on the bottom. Most people who go on the roll calls really just post before the cruise. Some may after the cruise for a short while or to just let everyone know they made it home safely.

You are allowed to post on other roll calls and many of us do to ask questions, such as if they found a good place to schedule their meet and greet. Or may ask someone to check out this venue or that one and post after the cruise.

Most reviews will be either posted on the main Cruise Critic review section (you can get to that via the main front page) or in the board for that cruise line. Not usually on the roll call.

As for accessing the roll call on the cruise, remember that many current passengers will not have free Internet or may not even want to spend time on a computer during their vacation.

When I'm researching a cruise, I'll be prepared to copy and paste any info that seems interesting into a Word document. Usually I won't find this kind of info on a roll call but if you do (or want to save a list of names on the roll call), try this method. Maybe whoever is taking the lead in planning a meet and greet will have members email their names and cabin numbers and they'll create a list that they pass out at the first meet and greet (some will have one at sailaway).

As for door signs, I just make my own, and really to make it easier for us to spot our cabin. Most of us haven't had a problem with other CC members knocking on our door. And once you meet your fellow roll callers, you'll undoubtedly see them around the ship.

Many thanks ... Getting a bit more familiar with the site now.

I use an iPad so when I see a particular piece of info or say a map I just screen shot it and save it in an album for that port.

My iPad goes ashore with me and most places we find free wifi included with coffee. Chance to catch up with emails and photos home and have a quick browse for local what's on.

Think they call us silver surfers in the UK.